Taiwan in December 2019

winter_star

Reaction score
Hi to those experts in Taiwan, I would need your advice to see if my plan to bring my elderly parents to Taiwan.

I will be visiting Taipei and Tainan for 11 days.

Day 1: Arrival, head towards Taichung for SML followed by going to Cingjing for a night.

Day 2: Explore Cingjing

Day 3: Head towards Tainan and explore the temples

Day 4: Head down to Guan zi ling for onsen.

Day 5: Visit Anping region

Day 6: Kao Shiung for Shopping

Day 7: Buddha Memorial Centre

Day 8: Back to Taipei --> Ximending

Day 9: Yeh Liu, Jiu Fen and Shi Fen

Day 10: Huai Lien

Day 11: Back to SG

Will be visiting the night markets for dinner.

Thank you all.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best is to book your own driver separately for Taipei and Taichung trip ...
Should be about 3500 twd at least for one day trip ...

For Taipei to Taichung, you can take HSR , would take about an hour ...
Buy the voucher from klook might be cheaper ...

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi to those experts in Taiwan, I would need your advice to see if my plan to bring my elderly parents to Taiwan.

I will be visiting Taipei and Tainan for 11 days.

Day 1: Arrival, head towards Taichung for SML followed by going to Cingjing for a night.

Day 2: Explore Cingjing

Day 3: Head towards Tainan and explore the temples

Day 4: Head down to Guan zi ling for onsen.

Day 5: Visit Anping region

Day 6: Kao Shiung for Shopping

Day 7: Buddha Memorial Centre

Day 8: Back to Taipei --> Ximending

Day 9: Yeh Liu, Jiu Fen and Shi Fen

Day 10: Huai Lien

Day 11: Back to SG

Will be visiting the night markets for dinner.

Thank you all.

Have you book your hotel yet? You plan your route like all over the place, if you havnt book, can consider to change plan. Use tw map, plan clockwise or anti clockwise, example airport, sml, cj, ks, Hualien, juifen, shifen then back to Taipei.

Your day 1 and day 9 need driver, if not too tried for everyone, elderly will be worst.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you book your hotel yet? You plan your route like all over the place, if you havnt book, can consider to change plan. Use tw map, plan clockwise or anti clockwise, example airport, sml, cj, ks, Hualien, juifen, shifen then back to Taipei.

Your day 1 and day 9 need driver, if not too tried for everyone, elderly will be worst.

Agree ... Taiwan is very big ... If going with elderly would be good to reduce their walking time , try to let them travel by car ...

Is a good idea to bring them to many places, however planning must be done well. Can google for itinerary people have shared online for reference too ...

winter_star

Reaction score

Hi, not yet. I haven't book the tickets yet.

I probably take out huai lien and SML since my parents went there before and weren't interested.

I was planning to visit Tainan first before heading back to Taipei. My mum missed Cingjing, thus the plan to stay at there for the first two days.

Will it be okay if i explore Tainan (including Kao shiung), Cingjing and Taipei?

Go tainan first before heading upwards?

Agree ... Taiwan is very big ... If going with elderly would be good to reduce their walking time , try to let them travel by car ...

Is a good idea to bring them to many places, however planning must be done well. Can google for itinerary people have shared online for reference too ...

Hi, yes I am planning to either use taxi for the temples in Tainan or get a driver.

Thank you for the replies :)

Last edited:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, not yet. I haven't book the tickets yet.

I probably take out huai lien and SML since my parents went there before and weren't interested.

I was planning to visit Tainan first before heading back to Taipei. My mum missed Cingjing, thus the plan to stay at there for the first two days.

Will it be okay if i explore Tainan (including Kao shiung), Cingjing and Taipei?

Go tainan first before heading upwards?

In that case, after you land, go Taichung for the night. Then take HSR to KS > Tainan > Cingjing > Taipei (juifen and shifen as day trip). Take note that cingjing green green grassland sheep show only on weekend (sat and sun).

PS: Can also take HSR from airport straight to Zuoying hsr but from Zuoying hsr to kaoshsiung city take taxi need another 15 mins depend on yr hotel. It's a very long day for everyone so can consider stay a night in Taichung, enjoy fengjia night market.

Last edited:

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hijack thread as i have a similar trip in december... but i wanted to stretch longer to at least 12-15 days... so still wondering what places to visit...

any recommended attractions for a trip for children and elderly?

can i check early december does the mountain snow? hows the weather like? dun really feel like bringing heavy winter clothings...

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hijack thread as i have a similar trip in december... but i wanted to stretch longer to at least 12-15 days... so still wondering what places to visit...

can i check early december does the mountain snow? hows the weather like? dun really feel like bringing heavy winter clothings...

children, theme park, amusement parks ?
window on china theme park, leofoo theme park (both within 15min bus ride)
From Taipei city is about 1hour+ to reach there by bus ...

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I thought I saw your post some where regarding yr plan, but cant find it.
Tw hardly snow, weather unpredictable. To see snow, try hehuanshan, day trip or stay there a night (freezing cold). Dec should be around 10+ degree. If go mountain like alishan, cingjing and hehuanshan should be less than 10 C.

12-15 days can go many places, you have to decide what you want to see or do before anyone here can recommend. You also can decide which part of tw you are intested, example west coast and central tw or visit small islands etc..

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought I saw your post some where regarding yr plan, but cant find it.
Tw hardly snow, weather unpredictable. To see snow, try hehuanshan, day trip or stay there a night (freezing cold). Dec should be around 10+ degree. If go mountain like alishan, cingjing and hehuanshan should be less than 10 C.

12-15 days can go many places, you have to decide what you want to see or do before anyone here can recommend. You also can decide which part of tw you are intested, example west coast and central tw or visit small islands etc..

I dun really have a detail plan yet... still deciding whether i should fly into Kaohsiung first then travel upwards to Taipei... or just stick to Taipei in and out... Not sure is it worth going to all the way to Kaohsiung a not... like not much in the south...

i only know i want to enjoy the hotspring... bring the kids go farm interact with animals... go sun moon lake and visit their nite markets... maybe a few of their major temples...

probably 4 days in Taipei to sightsee and shopping... the rest can spend outside Taipei...

my last visit to Taiwan was back during my primary school days... so this trip i consider is my first trip again...

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dun really have a detail plan yet... still deciding whether i should fly into Kaohsiung first then travel upwards to Taipei... or just stick to Taipei in and out... Not sure is it worth going to all the way to Kaohsiung a not... like not much in the south...

i only know i want to enjoy the hotspring... bring the kids go farm interact with animals... go sun moon lake and visit their nite markets... maybe a few of their major temples...

probably 4 days in Taipei to sightsee and shopping... the rest can spend outside Taipei...

my last visit to Taiwan was back during my primary school days... so this trip i consider is my first trip again...

Kaohsiung really nothing much. You can stick to Taoyuan airport in and out.
First decide where you want to go, then decide order of route.

Hot Spring - Jiaoxi (Yilan near Hualien), Wulai (south of Taipei) and Beitou
(Taipei) Jiaoxi is famous of hotspring resort, Wulai has waterfall and hotspring and Beitou only hotspring.

Farm - flying cow (Miaoli) and green green grassland (cingjing)

Cingjing and SML (1/2 day trip) are near (by) can plan together.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kaohsiung really nothing much. You can stick to Taoyuan airport in and out.
First decide where you want to go, then decide order of route.

Hot Spring - Jiaoxi (Yilan near Hualien), Wulai (south of Taipei) and Beitou
(Taipei) Jiaoxi is famous of hotspring resort, Wulai has waterfall and hotspring and Beitou only hotspring.

Farm - flying cow (Miaoli) and green green grassland (cingjing)

Cingjing and SML (1/2 day trip) are near (by) can plan together.

which hotspring area are better as in more recommended? and surrounding area still got attractions to visit easily...

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which hotspring area are better as in more recommended? and surrounding area still got attractions to visit easily...

I been to jiaoxi, a night stay in good hotspring hotel with many hotspring facility. A small town to relax and can take train to Hualien.

I havn't been to Wulai yet. Wulai is beautiful place, got waterfall, nice scenery and hotspring.

If your budget is limited, then choose wulai. You can goggle for more detail information.

winter_star

Reaction score
In that case, after you land, go Taichung for the night. Then take HSR to KS > Tainan > Cingjing > Taipei (juifen and shifen as day trip). Take note that cingjing green green grassland sheep show only on weekend (sat and sun).

PS: Can also take HSR from airport straight to Zuoying hsr but from Zuoying hsr to kaoshsiung city take taxi need another 15 mins depend on yr hotel. It's a very long day for everyone so can consider stay a night in Taichung, enjoy fengjia night market.

Thank you for the precious suggestion! :)

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I been to jiaoxi, a night stay in good hotspring hotel with many hotspring facility. A small town to relax and can take train to Hualien.

I havn't been to Wulai yet. Wulai is beautiful place, got waterfall, nice scenery and hotspring.

If your budget is limited, then choose wulai. You can goggle for more detail information.

Wulai comes second to zhiben on my list.
:)

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best is to book your own driver separately for Taipei and Taichung trip ...
Should be about 3500 twd at least for one day trip ...

For Taipei to Taichung, you can take HSR , would take about an hour ...
Buy the voucher from klook might be cheaper ...
Taipei to taichung klook isnt the cheapest though.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.