Air purifier? - Part 2

ChanOwen

Reaction score
(1) The prefilter can be cleaned by vacuuming. I am sure you have cleaned your aircon prefilters with vacuum before. Very little difference vs washing, in the context of the air purifier.
I have a Mfresh M8088A that has a filter construction that is the same as the Xiaomi (ie cylindrical filter with prefilter built into the cylindrical filter, just that the Mfresh is a bigger filter. I also vacuum my Sharp and Samsung AP prefilters, though sometimes i do wash that.

(2) Yes, if that ever happens, just set timed programs. Seems like Lucky177 does not get it with his XM Pro.

Thank you again for your detailed replies back in April.

A month ago, I almost bought the Xiaomi 2S, then work suddenly became very busy during the past few weeks.

Today I decided to try to download the instruction manual for the Xiaomi 2S, but I couldn't find it anywhere online (I searched for both English and Chinese version, but couldn't find either!).

Specifically, I realized there is another point I am concerned about: Ionizer and Ozone production. Most APs (including the Coway Mighty) have an Ionizer function, and a button which enables the Ionizer to be turned On or Off. Most people recommend to always leave the Ionizer off (due to Ozone production)

Can anyone confirm whether the Xiaomi 2S has an Ionizer, and if so, is it possible to turn it off?

Thank you very much for your help answering this!

Lucky177

Master Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Xiaomi AP do not have ionizer function. They are not ionizers. At least not for Gen1, Gen2 and the Pro.

I do not have 2S, but should be same.

A month ago, I almost bought the Xiaomi 2S, then work suddenly became very busy during the past few weeks.

Today I decided to try to download the instruction manual for the Xiaomi 2S, but I couldn't find it anywhere online (I searched for both English and Chinese version, but couldn't find either!).

Specifically, I realized there is another point I am concerned about: Ionizer and Ozone production. Most APs (including the Coway Mighty) have an Ionizer function, and a button which enables the Ionizer to be turned On or Off. Most people recommend to always leave the Ionizer off (due to Ozone production)

Can anyone confirm whether the Xiaomi 2S has an Ionizer, and if so, is it possible to turn it off?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yep, Lucky177 said it, no ionizer on the Xiaomi. From what i read on the reviews, there are no ionizer.

Anyway, some APs with ionizers would produce appreciable ozone.

But some APs with ionizers do not produce ozone (or produces ozone at ultra minute amounts far below the threshold where it produces health issues).
An eg would be Sharp Plasmacluster.
Can just google if you are interested in these small details, there were tests done before.

ChanOwen

Reaction score
Thank you again for your replies, that is good to hear there is no Ionizer on the Xiaomi.

On a slightly different topic, going back to the discussion we had back in April about buying an AP from US (120v model) and using a Voltage Transformer, there are concerns about the transformer malfunctioning, which could destroy the AP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a more "reliable" brand of Voltage Transformer, which is less likely to malfunction?

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mi air purifier 2s or pro better?

i see most people buying 2s....is it because it is quieter?

ChanOwen

Reaction score
Since I asked so many questions previously, thought I would give you guys a quick update regarding what I went with in the end.

Remember I was originally considering buying the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US?

Last weekend I was searching around on Taobao China and noticed there is a Coway China shop (coway电器旗舰店). I saw they have a model COWAY AP-1515H which usually sells for ¥3,880, but is currently on sale for just ¥899.

After searching around on Amazon US I noticed this exact same model (COWAY AP-1515H) is known as Coway Airmega 300 in the US (I downloaded the instruction manual to confirm it is the same model), and currently retails for around USD $470 on Amazon US. I spent a couple of hours digging around looking at reviews online and watching reviews on YouTube, it seems that this model is highly regarded in US as a "high end" AP, hence the rather expensive price.

Since I am not very happy about the idea of buying AP filters from Mainland China, I decided to buy this AP from Taobao China and in future buy replacement filters from Amazon US.

This way I also:
1) Solve the voltage problem (the Taobao China model is 220V 50Hz, which is the same as HK and Singapore, therefore no need for voltage transformer)
2) Buy this "high end" AP at approx. 1/4 of US price

Sounds too good to be true right? This new AP just arrived with me today, it seems to be working very well. The air in my apartment seems to be much cleaner and purer now. However, since this is my first time to ever use an AP, I don’t really have anything to compare it against.

Reaction score
I know opening the window will greatly reduce the performance of the air purifier, but has anyone tried opening at least 1 window when running the purifier? What is the performance? I am looking at Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s for my small bedroom.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know opening the window will greatly reduce the performance of the air purifier, but has anyone tried opening at least 1 window when running the purifier? What is the performance? I am looking at Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s for my small bedroom.

normal. it can handle just fine.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since I asked so many questions previously, thought I would give you guys a quick update regarding what I went with in the end.

Remember I was originally considering buying the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US?

Last weekend I was searching around on Taobao China and noticed there is a Coway China shop (coway电器旗舰店). I saw they have a model COWAY AP-1515H which usually sells for ¥3,880, but is currently on sale for just ¥899.

After searching around on Amazon US I noticed this exact same model (COWAY AP-1515H) is known as Coway Airmega 300 in the US (I downloaded the instruction manual to confirm it is the same model), and currently retails for around USD $470 on Amazon US. I spent a couple of hours digging around looking at reviews online and watching reviews on YouTube, it seems that this model is highly regarded in US as a "high end" AP, hence the rather expensive price.

Since I am not very happy about the idea of buying AP filters from Mainland China, I decided to buy this AP from Taobao China and in future buy replacement filters from Amazon US.

This way I also:
1) Solve the voltage problem (the Taobao China model is 220V 50Hz, which is the same as HK and Singapore, therefore no need for voltage transformer)
2) Buy this "high end" AP at approx. 1/4 of US price

Sounds too good to be true right? This new AP just arrived with me today, it seems to be working very well. The air in my apartment seems to be much cleaner and purer now. However, since this is my first time to ever use an AP, I don’t really have anything to compare it against.

Hey, that model is really not too bad. Even after the TB 618 discounts, now it's still at 999. Not too bad.

COWAY AP-1515H

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...01781846&ns=1&abbucket=12&skuId=3781888515981

It uses 2 rectangular type filters, so actually for those who have used generic China HEPA before, can use this as well if you find the originals to be too expensive (with a slight drop in performance, but that's ok since there is so much "buffer" @ 459 m3/hr CADR)

2 x filters = more surface area, higher capable CADR from the China generic HEPAs.

TB2DYSbonXYBeNkHFrdXXciuVXa_!!3877888200.jpg

TB22HSbonXYBeNkHFrdXXciuVXa_!!3877888200.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just buy the generics from China via TB, get bigger ones and then cut it up to size. Plug the sides with the bubble wrapping that comes with the filter....roll it up etc. 25mm depth is ok. Search my posts on "how well does it work", all the measurements are there.

CADR would suffer a bit, but who cares if you already have enough buffer in performance. If you need more, then get 1 more AP (cheap one).

When you are looking at years of operation, it does add up. Been using APs since 2008. It really does add up, trust me. My workhorse Sharp KC-840E is still kicking, no wierd noises from the brushless DC motor etc.

1 AP is still ok. 2 APs still doable.
But ask those with multiple APs in 2015, after the haze season all the filters gotta change due to the heavy smell after the dense haze. I had to change filters for all 9 APs, both mine and my parents. (esp since my kids do go there to stay for a few days in a week)
If 1 set = $100, then that'd be $900.

Last edited:

shin7829

Reaction score
Xiaomi model
Vs
NOVITA
AIR CLEANER
NAP822

Any one uses novita air cleaner NAP822?
was told by the staff, this is local brand and uses true HEPA filter one

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For reference, it was pretty near actually. North Residences BTO in Punggol is only 3km from SMK Tg Puteri which had 260 victims being sent to hospital.

schools-chemicals-sg-kimkim.jpg

e6jP0VP.jpg

pasir-gudang-breathing-difficulty.jpg

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ang-suffer-breathing-difficulties-in-11649654

More students in Pasir Gudang suffer breathing difficulties in suspected pollution incident

KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 29 people in the Johor town of Pasir Gudang have been treated in hospital after suffering breathing difficulties, said the health ministry on Friday (Jun 21).

This is up from the 15 students who were reported to have fallen ill on Thursday in a suspected pollution incident.

People from two schools have now been affected - 14 students and two adults from Sekolah Agama Taman Mawar, as well as 13 from SK Pasir Gudang 4.

All patients are in stable condition, said Ministry of Health director-general Noor Hisham Abdullah.

"The Johor State Health Department is still monitoring the area where the problem occurred. The Pasir Gudang Health Clinic was also opened this morning to treat other victims who may have been affected by the incident," he added.

Dr Noor Hisham also advised the public to immediately seek treatment if they experience symptoms such as breathing difficulty, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, muscle cramps and weakness.

Authorities are still trying to determine what's causing people to fall ill with such symptoms.

On Thursday, Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad said the victims may have been exposed to poisonous gas.

According to a Malay Mail report, a Johor state official said that the latest cases appear unrelated to the Sungai Kim Kim incident earlier this year, when more than 4,000 people fell ill due to toxic fumes from illegal chemical dumping in the river.

One of the schools affected in the latest incident is 6km away from the area which was hit by pollution previously, said Johor Health, Culture and Heritage Committee chairman Mohd Khuzzan Abu Bakar.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...ws-stern-action-against-pasir-gudang-polluter

nwy_pasir_250619_50_2x.jpg

nwy_pasir_250619_63_2x.jpg

nwy_pasir_250619_65_2x.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Malaysian government has vowed to take stern action against the culprits behind the chemical pollution incident in the Pasir Gudang district in Johor, says Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.

"It is rather unfortunate. The incident should not have happened again.

"But we can see that there are some industries that are not too concerned on security.

"That is why we have to identify who polluted the environment there, and we will take stern action against them," he told reporters on the sidelines of the 33rd Asia-Pacific Roundtable on Tuesday (June 25).

All educational institutions in Pasir Gudang district were ordered to close for three days following chemical pollution in the area, said the state Education Department.

There are 475 such institutions in Pasir Gudang; they comprise 111 primary and secondary schools, three higher education institutions, 14 private and international schools and 347 private kindergartens.

In a statement, Education Department director Azman Adnan said the schools would be closed for three days from Tuesday to Thursday (June 25-27) to allow the authorities to work on clearing the pollution.

"All principals and headmasters have been told to inform their students, teachers, parents and staff about the closure."

To date, more than 100 students from over 30 schools have been affected due to the air pollution, which surfaced last Thursday.

This is the second time in three months that the authorities have ordered all schools in the district to be closed because of pollution.

In March, all 111 schools were also ordered to close following toxic fumes coming from Sungai Kim Kim.

Meanwhile, victims affected by the latest pollution are upset and puzzled over how such an incident could happen just three months after the previous case.

They also expressed anger over how the authorities are handling the incident.

SMK Tanjung Puteri Resort student Noor Ameileyana Fadzlee, 13, said she was previously warded for two days at the Sultan Ismail Hospital for breathing difficulties.

"Luckily, it was not that bad this time and the doctor told me that I could go home after this," she said at the Pasir Gudang Indoor Stadium on Monday.

Her mother Herlina Muslimin, 40, said she was anxious when she found out about her daughter's condition.

"I was worried when I received a call from her teacher asking me to come directly to Pasir Gudang Indoor Stadium. After the first incident, I thought it would not happen again. It's upsetting to see my daughter suffering from the symptoms again," she said.

Ms Senahni Hamzah, 44, mother of 16-year-old Siti Jasliena Jumaat of SMK Tanjung Puteri Resort, also said this was the second time her daughter has been affected by the pollution.

"When I reached the school, they informed me that an ambulance had already taken her to the operation centre, so I immediately rushed here," said Ms Senahni.

Trader Normah Ahmad, 63, said she is baffled as to why this keeps happening.

"This is also affecting our livelihood as many people are afraid to buy food in this area.

"I hope the authorities will take this seriously," she said.

She added that business went on as usual as there had been no orders to shut down the shops.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...ic-fumes-disaster-upset-parents-demand-action

yq-pgtoxicfumes-24062019.jpg

PUBLISHEDJUN 24, 2019, 10:06 PM SGTUPDATED6 HOURS AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTEREMAIL
Eileen NgRegional Correspondent
PASIR GUDANG (JOHOR) - More than 70 students in Johor's Pasir Gudang district were referred to hospital after toxic fumes in the area caused breathing difficulties and vomiting.

But senior Malaysian officials on Monday (June 24) appeared no closer to explaining the cause.

Housing and Local Government Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin had said at first the air was polluted by fumes from incomplete cleaning up of the toxic waste dumped into Sungai Kim Kim in March, but later backtracked and said it was not related to the March incident.

Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad said the symptoms displayed by the victims were different from those seen in the earlier river dumping incident.

Johor Menteri Besar Sahruddin Jamal also dismissed claims that the fumes originated from Sungai Kim Kim.

As of 3pm on Monday, 75 students were referred to Hospital Sultan Ismail with only four still warded.

At the Pasir Gudang Indoor Stadium where most of the victims were given first treatment and in housing estates around it, parents of the affected students told The Straits Times they were very upset that this is happening again.

One of them is small time trader Jamaluddin Abdul Malik, whose 13-year-old daughter is a victim of the latest incident. The teenager was also one of the victims of the Sungai Kim Kim pollution three months ago.

"My daughter is very weak now and is currently in the hospital. Even if she is discharged, I am worried about letting her go back to school because we won't know if the pollution will happen again," he said. "We don't feel safe here. I feel that our air is not safe to breathe," he added.

Some suspected that the toxic waste that was previously dumped in Sungai Kim Kim could be the culprit again.

"Maybe they didn't clean the river thoroughly the last time," mused teacher Siti Mariam Saim, whose nine-year-old son, was vomiting non-stop on Monday, while her six-year-old daughter, was having a headache.

"The symptoms displayed were similar to the Sungai Kim Kim incident except this time it is less serious," she said, adding that the air has been smelling of "corroded iron" for the past three days, especially after it rained.

Concerned with what is happening, restaurant owner Rafea Abdullah stopped his daughter from going to school.

He went to his daughter's school on Monday, located about 500m from Sungai Kim Kim and was one of the first schools that was closed during the crisis.

"I went up to the top floor of the building and immediately I felt nauseous, headache and had difficulties breathing, I knew then something was wrong," he said.

He said he will be "very disappointed" if it turns out that the toxic waste from Sungai Kim Kim is again causing the problem.

final_online_pasir-gudang_air-pollution.jpg

In March, 111 schools in Pasir Gudang were shut for two weeks following chemical pollution of the river, which flows into the Strait of Johor just north of Pulau Ubin.

The disaster caused 5,848 people to seek medical treatment after inhaling toxic fumes from the river.

On Monday, Bernama news agency quoted Datuk Zuraida Kamaruddin as saying that initial investigations found the cleaning contractor who was supposed to clear the Sungai Kim Kim waste did not do a thorough job.

"As the hazardous materials have been exposed to wind and rain, the uncontrolled air borne substances may have spread and affected the people once again," she told reporters in Putrajaya.

But in a later statement, she said from the latest information received, the hazardous materials in the river were already cleared and had been disposed of.

Health Minister Dzulkefly said the latest incident is not similar to Sungai Kim Kim. "The victims of Sungai Kim Kim were warded in the ICU (intensive care unit) but for this incident, the victims were just experiencing vomiting and shortness of breath," he said at a news conference at the Pasir Gudang stadium on Monday. "These (symptoms) will not stay in the body for too long, it will be excreted."

Johor chief minister Sharuddin Jamal in dismissing that toxic waste from Sungai Kim Kim is again to blame, said: "For now, we have been informed that it is not the same."

The Chemical Department will take two days to identify the chemicals involved, he said.

Still, despite residents' concerns, life went on as usual on Monday.

Businesses at the affected areas were operating as normal and there was no sense of panic in the air.

There was a sense of inevitability that they have to put up with this.

"Of course I am afraid that this will affect my health but what can I do? I need to earn a living," said a goreng pisang (banana fritters) seller who wanted to be known as Kak Non.

She said she did smell something funny in the air, but has not felt the need to seek treatment. "Life still has to go on."

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.