Help needed on Dolby Atmos Speaker System

cubacuba

Reaction score
I think to match your huge floorstanding speakers u probably need 12 inch subwoofer, like sb2000. Not sure if ported (pb2000) or sealed (sb2000) is better. Any advice? May upgrade also in future.
From the reviews i read SB and PB delivers the same output , ofcourse PB performs better in edge but need extra space than SB.
My choice would be SB2000 considering the space, will do a trial again before i buy between SB2000 and PB2000 and chose.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
If i got money the svs sb3000 looks super tempting cos of the app control feature

Amon86

Reaction score
If i got money the svs sb3000 looks super tempting cos of the app control feature

SVS SB3000 heard the back panel got noise humming problem anyways SVS can only go for SB16-Ultra other than that the lower model are so so....

Last edited:

cubacuba

Reaction score
This is blending among sub and speakers.
EQ and room calibration plays a part as well.

Hard to comment on brand as I only play with Yamaha, Wharfdale and pioneer. Others not yet.

Yamaha and Pioneer : i did not get a chance to listen. May be i will give a try.

What is your opinion on Wharfedale Diamond 11.5? I will post the config i tested tomorrow

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
SVS SB3000 heard the back panel got noise humming problem anyways SVS can only go for SB16-Ultra other than that the lower model are so so....

Hearing vs actually owning the SB-3000 is a difference. There is no hum heard at the back on mine.
Also, SB16-Ultra is too overpowered and will be severely limited depending on where you live. Since I live in an apartment, the SB-3000 is already quite loud and you can feel the vibrations all the way to the end of the kitchen. I limit mine to -20dB on the SVS app and -2dB on the receiver. It is already that strong and impactful and there is still more power in reserve.
It is to the point where the bass is disturbing the rest at home when watching movies. It is that good. Please see reviews of actual SB-16 Ultra owners who got the chance to review the PB/SB-3000 and they themselves are equally as shocked. Together with a modest apartment living room, it is already sufficiently good.

The atmosphere beats even the Dolby Atmos cinema experience when watching Endgame where the bass there was not too overpowering.
The SB-3000 gives you the atmosphere all around and you and adds that oomph feel with the ground shakes.

So depending on room size, like say, the high ceiling of a bungalow and the large enough living room, then yes, maybe running SB-16 Ultra will be a better bet.

Amon86

Reaction score
Hearing vs actually owning the SB-3000 is a difference. There is no hum heard at the back on mine.
Also, SB16-Ultra is too overpowered and will be severely limited depending on where you live. Since I live in an apartment, the SB-3000 is already quite loud and you can feel the vibrations all the way to the end of the kitchen. I limit mine to -20dB on the SVS app and -2dB on the receiver. It is already that strong and impactful and there is still more power in reserve.
It is to the point where the bass is disturbing the rest at home when watching movies. It is that good. Please see reviews of actual SB-16 Ultra owners who got the chance to review the PB/SB-3000 and they themselves are equally as shocked. Together with a modest apartment living room, it is already sufficiently good.

The atmosphere beats even the Dolby Atmos cinema experience when watching Endgame where the bass there was not too overpowering.
The SB-3000 gives you the atmosphere all around and you and adds that oomph feel with the ground shakes.

So depending on room size, like say, the high ceiling of a bungalow and the large enough living room, then yes, maybe running SB-16 Ultra will be a better bet.

Well you can heard it from here on 10:20 transformer hum can be heard

cubacuba

Reaction score

Yes i truely agree. For Singapore HDB or Private appartment the size of Master or Living room might be too small and it would be thundering to have SB3000 or More. SB/PB 1000 or 2000 is good enough. Im a tiny little bee when compared to experts like you. Just sharing my tots :) no offense

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for detailed comment, yes i had SVS PB or SB 1000 or 2000 in mind , my budget for sub is around $1000.

Which brand you recommend for Front , Rear, Surround height etc ... Klipsch, Wharfedale , KEF , Elac , Mission etc ???

My apologies if I can't advice on the other brands as I'd rather not give speculations. But as mentioned, you can't go wrong with whatever other speakers you want to use as they will in the end, be calibrated to be as flat as possible to achieve the reference experience. Please do have a listen to a few different brand of speakers or read/watch a LOT of reviews before deciding on the final set of speakers that you believe suits you. That is why I went with the Elacs over the Klipsch. Because of how close to flat the response curve is from the beginning.

My second advice is to see whether the speakers are ported or sealed. Sealed speakers means that they need more power that a receiver might not be sufficient enough to provide. Thus, you might end up needing an amplifier. So get ported speakers in that case.

I think to match your huge floorstanding speakers u probably need 12 inch subwoofer, like sb2000. Not sure if ported (pb2000) or sealed (sb2000) is better. Any advice? May upgrade also in future.

The one advantage of Ported is they'll give you a foam to seal the ports making them a Sealed Subwoofer. So you have more flexibility there. Since you can change it any time you want. Ported is adviced for Movies. But Sealed is recommended for music and TV shows. I wen't with sealed because I am not interested in the unnecessary bass reverb tail end of the LFE of Ported Subs.
Those people that believe in Power Conditioners says about hear clear and precise audio becomes. Well, the same logic applies to Subwoofers. Sealed for me because it is clear and yet precise. You won't be able to notice the difference that much and plus, I am saving space.
But you are free to choose the PB series because as mentioned, you can choose to go sealed or ported whenever you want with it by just sealing up the port.

If you really want clarity in your bass and still that ground shaking experience that comes with any sound below 50Hz, you can't go wrong with SVS.
If you've experienced a C4 explosion up close or the firing of the matador, this is it. Feel that same vibration on your body instead of just hearing it.

Out of my entire Home Theatre Setup purchase, it was the subs that literally made me and my friends jaw drop. That is why it was worth every penny for me to get the SB-3000 over the PB-2000. But you can't go wrong with either though.

Amon86

Reaction score
What i meant is as SVS SB-3000 you are paying $1,979.00 by right it shouldn't have noise as reviewer says dunno for others but for me i very particular about hissing and humming anyways with that pricing you can go for JL audio E-sub

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
What i meant is as SVS SB-3000 you are paying $1,979.00 by right it shouldn't have noise as reviewer says dunno for others but for me i very particular about hissing and humming anyways with that pricing you can go for JL audio E-sub

If I hear hissing or humming, I will be furious too. But those are signs of an unclean power source or close to another electrical device. Using another power outlet should help clear the problem. Nothing to do with the Amp itself.

I just tried hearing the back of my SB-3000. No hum or hiss. Might as well use SVS's great customer service by then if you ever encounter any problems.
But not without trying out my advice of using a different power outlet that does not have anything else attached to it to ensure a clean power delivery.

Bought my SB-3000 for SG$1,660.49 on Lazada.

Edit: LoL! I just realized my Black Ash version of the SB-3000 is sold out. Even the Piano Black version that you pointed out is sold out as well. But wow! I can bet how much you are enjoying the PB-16 Ultra. Any good LFE based movies to recommend?

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yamaha and Pioneer : i did not get a chance to listen. May be i will give a try.

What is your opinion on Wharfedale Diamond 11.5? I will post the config i tested tomorrow

Wharfedale can sound bright at times, Yamaha can skip as in my opinion
their sub are not very good.
Pioneer wise the popular Andrew Jones speaker you can test
at either Besk Denki (IMM), Audio house or Courts.(Tampines)

Elac is another brand which is actually design by Andrew jones
since he departed from Pioneer many years ago.
ELAC can be audition at Adelphi.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Well you can heard it from here on 10:20 transformer hum can be heard

Thanks for the video. I might have accidentally missed this post.

6-7 feet away? Something is not right with his transformer. Definitely either his power outlet, near EMI devices or he has a bad Amp/Transformer in his sub.

As mentioned by another commenter, OMDF01, "I’m surprised to hear that you have humming issues that you can “hear 6-7 feet away”. It’s pretty intrusive no doubt. Mine is dead silent."

7 feet is 2.134 meters. Way close to my sitting position relative to the TV and the sub. I would definitely be able to hear the hiss or hum if that's the case.
I'm a very particular person. You can see my other posts on products such as Secretlab chairs and the Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier. No holds barred. If it sucks, I will say it to warn others of this issue. But as mentioned by others, I am in an SVS fan Facebook group, they too did not mention anything about a hiss or a hum.

Not to mention, my sub is just under my PC desk and I do leave my Home Theatre plug switched on from time to time if I ever forget to turn it off. My SVS sub is set to Always On and not using a 12V trigger or letting it turn on if it hears an audio. So I should be able to hear the hum or hiss. But I really don't.

As mentioned, could be his bad power supply. I am using the European 2-pronged plug. I didn't hear any annoying hums and hiss.

A simple google search of keywords, 'speaker hum hiss buzz" will give you your answer as to what I've just said. It is most likely a noisy power line or Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) of some sort. Not the sub's problem.
https://www.techhive.com/article/3063590/how-to-get-rid-of-hum-and-eliminate-other-noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score
If I hear hissing or humming, I will be furious too. But those are signs of an unclean power source or close to another electrical device. Using another power outlet should help clear the problem. Nothing to do with the Amp itself.

I just tried hearing the back of my SB-3000. No hum or hiss. Might as well use SVS's great customer service by then if you ever encounter any problems.
But not without trying out my advice of using a different power outlet that does not have anything else attached to it to ensure a clean power delivery.

Bought my SB-3000 for SG$1,660.49 on Lazada.

Edit: LoL! I just realized my Black Ash version of the SB-3000 is sold out. Even the Piano Black version that you pointed out is sold out as well. But wow! I can bet how much you are enjoying the PB-16 Ultra. Any good LFE based movies to recommend?

I don't owned a SVS PB-16 actually got consider about it but heard mainly used for movie rather than music so i got myself a jl audio fathom instead heard is more musical will arrive during this weekends...i only got a KEF R400B which i already used for 2-3 years no issue so i will using that on my dynaudio SP40 or my twenty5 21....upcoming sept i will get 2 x R8a for atmos and will be using upcoming Alita 4k bluray to test it out

cubacuba

Reaction score
Dear Experts ... my total budget is max $6000 for Speakers and AVR...
Now if i fix SVS SB/PB 1000/2000 and AVR Denon 4500H.. what will do for rest speakers ??? Please advise with in my budget

Amon86

Reaction score
Dear Experts ... my total budget is max $6000 for Speakers and AVR...
Now if i fix SVS SB/PB 1000/2000 and AVR Denon 4500H.. what will do for rest speakers ??? Please advise with in my budget

Bro i think if you wanna go for the better and better next time...if i were you i would get a very good floodstander first and a integrated amp first then next time have more budget buy a AVR then used existing amp as preout for front then get a good subwoofer and etc....slowly play that will save you alot of money upgrading....if you wanna go straight just get within your budget and demo what you have in mind don't take in comment in the end is you must be happy with your system

cubacuba

Reaction score
Bro i think if you wanna go for the better and better next time...if i were you i would get a very good floodstander first and a integrated amp first then next time have more budget buy a AVR then used existing amp as preout for front then get a good subwoofer and etc....slowly play that will save you alot of money upgrading....if you wanna go straight just get within your budget and demo what you have in mind don't take in comment in the end is you must be happy with your system

Sure ..your advise and suggestion is taken. Let me give equal space for others to suggest too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.