Complaint regarding M1 internet disruption on 22 May

zenitro

Reaction score
Anyone still remember this disruption that dragged on for around 9hr?

Well, due to this disruption, those that uses M1 ISP are mostly affected and we are forced to use our own mobile data for internet. This happen between 8.30am to around 5pm. Basically the entire workday.

Now I incurred a charge of around $70 for the amount of data used that day and of course I am going to call in to M1 to dispute this charges.

Upon talking to the customer service, they will only give a "Goodwill" deduction of $50 and ask me to bare the remainder of the cost. At this point in time I was flaming as they just ask me to pay for their mistake and say that the $50 was their goodwill (they stress heavily on this word).

I continue to confront them asking why are we ask to pay for using an alternative when M1 services cannot make it. Their argument was that for that disruption, a compensation of $10 will be waived from my internet plan thus any amount that I incurred on alternative will need to be borne by me. They continue to say that a compensation of $10 is very generous as if you take the cost of the internet plan and divide by the number of days it will be much less.

Now I refuse to accept this conclusion and ask to speak to a higher up and am still waiting for a callback (no going to put high hopes there)

Things I want to point out.
Am I paying for the internet on a per day basis? Can I just decide to stop my internet for 10 days just because i wouldn't be in Singapore whenever I
like to and not pay for that 10 days that I did not use the internet? If the answer is no, why did you expect the compensation to cover that one day of disruption to be enough? Do you yourself know how easily $10 will be charge once you just pass your mobile limit by 1 GB? Do you expect us to use less than 1 GB for 9hr on a workday?

Now, I know that service disruption is unexpected and unplanned, and I am not blaming M1 for this. But the least M1 can do is attempt to correct this issue than insist that they had already done their part.
If you just glance at the twitter or facebook of M1 on 22 May, you will see alot of people asking if their mobile data can be used instead but M1 didn't even attempt to respond to that question. If you want to set a limit of wavier to $50 then just state up front during the disruption, not after the data has been used then set the limit.

Singapore don't really actively protect the singapore consumer, this disruption story also disappear on 22 may with no comment or whatsoever from M1 nor any penalty or fines from IDA. In this cases, M1 can just switch off internet for 1 day in a month and rake in all the mobile data charges.

At this point in time, it is no longer about the money. It is about the principle.

I will be lodging a complaint with CASE, if anyone faced similar issue you are welcome to PM me

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone still remember this disruption that dragged on for around 9hr?

Well, due to this disruption, those that uses M1 ISP are mostly affected and we are forced to use our own mobile data for internet. This happen between 8.30am to around 5pm. Basically the entire workday.

Now I incurred a charge of around $70 for the amount of data used that day and of course I am going to call in to M1 to dispute this charges.

Upon talking to the customer service, they will only give a "Goodwill" deduction of $50 and ask me to bare the remainder of the cost. At this point in time I was flaming as they just ask me to pay for their mistake and say that the $50 was their goodwill (they stress heavily on this word).

I continue to confront them asking why are we ask to pay for using an alternative when M1 services cannot make it. Their argument was that for that disruption, a compensation of $10 will be waived from my internet plan thus any amount that I incurred on alternative will need to be borne by me. They continue to say that a compensation of $10 is very generous as if you take the cost of the internet plan and divide by the number of days it will be much less.

Now I refuse to accept this conclusion and ask to speak to a higher up and am still waiting for a callback (no going to put high hopes there)

Things I want to point out.
Am I paying for the internet on a per day basis? Can I just decide to stop my internet for 10 days just because i wouldn't be in Singapore whenever I
like to and not pay for that 10 days that I did not use the internet? If the answer is no, why did you expect the compensation to cover that one day of disruption to be enough? Do you yourself know how easily $10 will be charge once you just pass your mobile limit by 1 GB? Do you expect us to use less than 1 GB for 9hr on a workday?

Now, I know that service disruption is unexpected and unplanned, and I am not blaming M1 for this. But the least M1 can do is attempt to correct this issue than insist that they had already done their part.
If you just glance at the twitter or facebook of M1 on 22 May, you will see alot of people asking if their mobile data can be used instead but M1 didn't even attempt to respond to that question. If you want to set a limit of wavier to $50 then just state up front during the disruption, not after the data has been used then set the limit.

Singapore don't really actively protect the singapore consumer, this disruption story also disappear on 22 may with no comment or whatsoever from M1 nor any penalty or fines from IDA. In this cases, M1 can just switch off internet for 1 day in a month and rake in all the mobile data charges.

At this point in time, it is no longer about the money. It is about the principle.

I will be lodging a complaint with CASE, if anyone faced similar issue you are welcome to PM me

Well, I think their offer of $50 off your $70 is reasonable. They can question why u used so much data when you know it is down. Their down time is during working hours so by right you should not have used so much data. If it happen to be a nice lady manager, may be all $70 waived.

Last edited:

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you can get full compensation. i used my own Mobile data (hotspot) rather then using the free sim card from m1.

Sometimes very sian to waste time to fight with them over this.

M1 will still be the winner because not happy they can go ahead pull the plug for my fiber and bill me early disconnection and IMDA also throw this back to M1 because this is customer service which has nothing to do with iMDA. Unless your internet is still down until today.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you can get full compensation. i used my own Mobile data (hotspot) rather then using the free sim card from m1.

Sometimes very sian to waste time to fight with them over this.

M1 will still be the winner because no happy they can go ahead with pull the plug for my fiber and bill me early disconnection and IMDA also throw this back to M1 because this is customer service which has nothing to do with iMDA. unless your internet is still down until today.

Yes M1 will be the winner because they already waived $50 and $10 one time discount for the subscription. Such down is also not M1 mistake as others may have damage the cable causing it to be down. M1 can also question why so much data used during the down time. By right during the down period such data should be reserved for important transaction like internet banking and online payment transaction and not for entertainment use like video streaming of drama and gaming. M1 will still win unless some kind staff specially help you to wavie it fully.

giraffey

Reaction score
hmm.. if internet connectivity is so important, perhaps consider subscribing to the business/enterprise plans (with SLAs) and consider redundancy like what companies do?

kurch

Reaction score
In my opinion the “$50 & $10 goodwill” is considered good offer rather than nothing. If they are really buay song you then they just said “let’s deduct 1 day cost of your 1 month subscription fee since you can’t use for 9 hours some more we round up to 1 day.” :s13:

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the “$50 & $10 goodwill” is considered good offer rather than nothing. If they are really buay song you then they just said “let’s deduct 1 day cost of your 1 month subscription fee since you can’t use for 9 hours some more we round up to 1 day.” :s13:

Yes, agree.

feintan

Reaction score
If internet is so mission critical and very important, Just find the cheapest available fiber you can find from another company as backup. Anything wrong just change the cable over and done.

Anyway when we sign Fiber agreement with ISP, I never see any company offering 100% uptime even for Business Fiber.

There's 8760 hrs in a year and 8/8760 hrs is less then 0.1% downtime which i think is reasonable.

Last edited:

elmohootbigbird

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well. mistakes and breakdowns happen. when we forget to pay cc bills, late payment, don't get loyalty mobile vouchers, we moan and say 1st time, no goodwill or whateva.

but we can be so unforgiving.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If internet is so mission critical and very important, Just find the cheapest available fiber you can find from another company as backup. Anything wrong just change the cable over and done.

Anyway when we sign Fiber agreement with ISP, I never see any company offering 100% uptime even for Business Fiber.

There's 8760 hrs in a year and 8/8760 hrs is less then 0.1% downtime which i think is reasonable.

No compensation even if business fibre down. So far never down.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Compensation of $50 is quite good. Actually my wife also kana and she happen to be working from home during that day. Unfortunately, suck thumb one la. Although we can insist and kpkb, it is an honest mistake. During my 3 years plus with them, only affected 1 day. Quite good already as compared to Viewqwest (vomit blood during my 2 years). Internet down good mah. Let us go back to ancient times and focus on human to human relationship once a while

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.