The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey, by the way you don’t have to necessarily get the X series lenses. Even the comfort series or physio which is cheaper also can entitle to the promo. No matter, this promo like what gardens mention is a 2 for 1 in a way.

Indeed very expensive. I regretted not going for lasik when I was much younger. The amount of money spent cumulatively on specs is so much than the cost of lasik, with the added intangible inconvenience. But no doubt expensive, it's still important to wear something really comfortable since like what someone commented, one is spending at least 2/3 of time wearing it, akin to the fact that most would spend alot of money on a mattress. It also depends on one's occupation if it's a need or good to have.

Guess what I need to find out really is the cost benefit ratio, but unfortunately only myself can uncover that

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Indeed very expensive. I regretted not going for lasik when I was much younger. The amount of money spent cumulatively on specs is so much than the cost of lasik, with the added intangible inconvenience. But no doubt expensive, it's still important to wear something really comfortable since like what someone commented, one is spending at least 2/3 of time wearing it, akin to the fact that most would spend alot of money on a mattress. It also depends on one's occupation if it's a need or good to have.

Guess what I need to find out really is the cost benefit ratio, but unfortunately only myself can uncover that

I dont really think lasik is good solution either. When you are young you never know how much your eyesight can worsen unless you are sure your eyesight will not change after doing lasik else you will still end up wearing glasses although prescription wont be so high. For me i know im not suitable as i have dry eyes and i wouldnt want my cornea to get thinner as im scared of retina detachment i.e. risk of going totally blind. Dont forget that the risk of eye infections from lasik surgeries may only surface after 20-30 years.

As my power is also very high, more than yours as i also have high astig, i need my glasses 24 hours a day. But getting 1.74 lens is out of my reach even for single vision lens is just too expensive. Been only using 1.67 lens for the past two decades so i think good enough if lower my expectation. I think those $1800 lens you are considering are the highest tiered. Dont forget also lens AR coating tends to diminish after 2 years start to get worn off and need to change every few years!

xtinkz

Reaction score
Thanks. I did search around but it seems only X has 1.74 with transition. So to go with the promo, my choices are limited. I'm not sure if other series of Varilux be as good without the promo tie up (promo requires transition included if I recall correctly).

Hey, by the way you don’t have to necessarily get the X series lenses. Even the comfort series or physio which is cheaper also can entitle to the promo. No matter, this promo like what gardens mention is a 2 for 1 in a way.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
I dont really think lasik is good solution either. When you are young you never know how much your eyesight can worsen unless you are sure your eyesight will not change after doing lasik else you will still end up wearing glasses although prescription wont be so high. For me i know im not suitable as i have dry eyes and i wouldnt want my cornea to get thinner as im scared of retina detachment i.e. risk of going totally blind. Dont forget that the risk of eye infections from lasik surgeries may only surface after 20-30 years.

As my power is also very high, more than yours as i also have high astig, i need my glasses 24 hours a day. But getting 1.74 lens is out of my reach even for single vision lens is just too expensive. Been only using 1.67 lens for the past two decades so i think good enough if lower my expectation. I think those $1800 lens you are considering are the highest tiered. Dont forget also lens AR coating tends to diminish after 2 years start to get worn off and need to change every few years!

you want to consider working in our trade? :s13:

Thanks. I did search around but it seems only X has 1.74 with transition. So to go with the promo, my choices are limited. I'm not sure if other series of Varilux be as good without the promo tie up (promo requires transition included if I recall correctly).

Yes, you are correct.
If you don't mind the edge thickness, choose a thicker plastic frame and go for 1.67 can save quite abit as well :)
if you dont wish to go for the promotion then just go for the clear lenses.. have 1.74 but since they are having the promotion now... it is a really good deal man!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe there are many individuals out there that is willing to pay for comfort just that unfortunately you are not one of them yet as they already felt how the less premium lenses is.(clarity, distortions)
You are not wrong at all to feel this way. But lens coating diminishing is totally based on customer way of caring for the lenses as I seen many who can wear their lenses for more than “2 years” but coating is pretty solid still.
There are also individuals who have no alternatives as they want a lens that is light(weight) and can also fit their expectation thus 1.74 is their solution. 1800 might be too much for you but if you are not comfortable with it, you can always go to other tiers of lenses at a more affordable option.
There are many cheaper lenses out there but based on customers subjective preferences, some will be fine with them and some not.

Reaction score

We have similar design lenses, if not better, at close to half the price with Money Back Guarantee*. PM for more information :)

*Money Back Guarantee - If you cant adapt to your pair of progressive lenses within 3 days, return the glasses to us to have your money back. ��

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
There are lenses which cost more than 1.8k for 1.74 and again many individuals who chose it.
But it’s good to be prudent and only choose what you are comfortable with(on your Budget) and expectation has to be managed(most impt). As we seen many that can promise you the sun and moon but when final result out, total disaster.
Cheers!

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess choosing the Big Three brand should be safe enough? Big Three = Hoya, Carl Zeiss, Essilor. In the past, hoya have the best reputation for progressives, still the case now? I tend to think that zeis and essilor dont produce lens that are as thin as hoya, nikon, seiko even though having same index?

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I remember correct, the Varilux 1 for 1 promotion. For 1.74, the free pair will be 1.67. You gotta check with the optical shop and some shops has extended promotion date despite it ended on 31 May.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hoya lenses are double aspheric from lifestyle v+ onwards so yes it will be slight thinner. Depending on which Brand too, zeiss aren’t. It will be safe for you!

I guess choosing the Big Three brand should be safe enough? Big Three = Hoya, Carl Zeiss, Essilor. In the past, hoya have the best reputation for progressives, still the case now? I tend to think that zeis and essilor dont produce lens that are as thin as hoya, nikon, seiko even though having same index?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
If I remember correct, the Varilux 1 for 1 promotion. For 1.74, the free pair will be 1.67. You gotta check with the optical shop and some shops has extended promotion date despite it ended on 31 May.

Yes you are right. As 1.74 index is unable to do Tinting thus the free pair will be 1.67. Great that you mentioned it as i missed it out.
And yes only certain shops still have this promotion extended til end of June.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoya lenses are double aspheric from lifestyle v+ onwards so yes it will be slight thinner. Depending on which Brand too, zeiss aren’t. It will be safe for you!

If im not wrong, lifestyle balansis is also double aspherical design?

Based on my wearing experience and my prescription for hoya SV lens, difference between single aspheric and double aspheric of the same 1.67 index is about 1mm thickness at the side of the lens, regardless of shape and size. And difference between 1.67 index and 1.74 index is a further 1mm thinner.

For me, cost ratio not really worth it to get 1.74 index. I only get 1mm thinner but cost like about 40% more.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s right on second point. Iirc lifestyle V+ then is double asph. I can check on that again.

Usually we will give a rough estimate on the thickness to the customer and let them know the difference in lens thickness, then they calculate if it’s worth the extra. But again there are and there are not those that are willing. Once again frame size plays a part in thickness of the lens.

Based on my wearing experience and my prescription for hoya SV lens, difference between single aspheric and double aspheric of the same 1.67 index is about 1mm thickness at the side of the lens, regardless of shape and size. And difference between 1.67 index and 1.74 index is a further 1mm thinner.

For me, cost ratio not really worth it to get 1.74 index. I only get 1mm thinner but cost like about 40% more.

xtinkz

Reaction score
Pardon me, what is double aspherical?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Pardon me, what is double aspherical?

our lenses have 2 surfaces - front and back
usually the aspheric surface is only on one side.
double aspherical means = thinner lenses.

double aspherical lenses really is thinner and lighter - personal experience.

xtinkz

Reaction score
Oh. So meaning will be even thinner than 1.74 index lenses of the same degrees?

our lenses have 2 surfaces - front and back
usually the aspheric surface is only on one side.
double aspherical means = thinner lenses.

double aspherical lenses really is thinner and lighter - personal experience.

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
anyway i can test my eye degrees?

i did not wear any spec but i suspect my left eye is getting bad tht i need a spec

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
anyway i can test my eye degrees?

i did not wear any spec but i suspect my left eye is getting bad tht i need a spec

Cheapest go to either Ngee Ann optometry Center or Singapore poly Optometry center. Call in advance to book appointment, then pay 5dollars for the check.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
dont want le.. outside is ok. just not too ex as it i dont want to get so ex spec.. Scare I not used to it and don't want to wear after getting it.

The last I had spec was @ primary school, I actually wear few time and dump it at the side.

Cheapest go to either Ngee Ann optometry Center or Singapore poly Optometry center. Call in advance to book appointment, then pay 5dollars for the check.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.