Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

oinkoink1999

Reaction score
I doubt so, but even if you can watch free to air tv, I think you still have to pay rent for the setup box too
Thanks bro. Im sure many subscribers have not switched to fibre and wonder what will happen after end June.

Sent from My UNDER ARMOUR UNDERWEAR using GAGT

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I did not change to fibre by 30 Jun. Can I still watch free air TV channels using the set top box?

Not correct to say many have not moved.

Of course can not watch. Most people have moved to fibre TV.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro. Im sure many subscribers have not switched to fibre and wonder what will happen after end June.

The TV box will be completely black screen and nothing to watch at all.

dmho

Reaction score
One apparent advantage is for StarHub Fibre Internet— no need Vlan for Internet, unlike SingTel. SingTel has to provide lousy vlan enabled router and now move to ONR because of this. Power users often avoid SingTel as the broadband ISP because of ONR.

And for StarHub, I think Fibre TV was a second thought, not like Cable TV. They were probably thinking of using Fibre Broadband and Cable TV combination to compete with SingTel.

Does this mean that if I subscribe Singtel MIO without fibre broadband I can still get internet access by using managed switch to tag VLAN 10?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that if I subscribe Singtel MIO without fibre broadband I can still get internet access by using managed switch to tag VLAN 10?

No, I do not think so. But nice try. Ha-ha.

This is based on the reports from the other thread for customized ONR configuration -- 3 ports for SingTel TV boxes and 1 port for Fibre Internet without Vlan. The user tried to get Internet from the three ports for SingTel TV box but it did not work. So I believe SingTel backend is controlling this.

Ref:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...nic-4/new-singtel-ont-hg8244h-5637111-13.html

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mio TV alone will give u only Fibre TV. The TV signal will still come from the fibre network but no internet. If you subscribed to homehub then you get TV, internet, house phone and mobile BB 1GB data.

hanz170

Reaction score
I got myself a Mi Box S delivered yesterday, Netflix works and my son Chromecast the NBA Game this morning and all seems to work fine no issue. I have ViewQwest and Starhub CableBB as backup, so I just signed up with Whizcomms for a no-frills 500Gbps for my backup Internet.

I've decided to terminate Starhub tomorrow, returning their set-top box and remote plus whatever cables I have. Wow, I was a customer since their first started Business and severe ties after such a long time.

I think the viewership has changed a lot, people can get the channels and view anytime they want instead of by fixed schedules. For any provider, that still wants to hold on to past glory, I think that ship has sailed.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got myself a Mi Box S delivered yesterday, Netflix works and my son Chromecast the NBA Game this morning and all seems to work fine no issue. I have ViewQwest and Starhub CableBB as backup, so I just signed up with Whizcomms for a no-frills 500Gbps for my backup Internet.

I've decided to terminate Starhub tomorrow, returning their set-top box and remote plus whatever cables I have. Wow, I was a customer since their first started Business and severe ties after such a long time.

I think the viewership has changed a lot, people can get the channels and view anytime they want instead of by fixed schedules. For any provider, that still wants to hold on to past glory, I think that ship has sailed.
woaaahhhhhhhhhh dafuggggg !!!!!!!500Gbps!!!!!!!

that speed I think can try challenge NASA let them panic abit.. somemore is just a "no frills backup internet", that's like saying "I have an Airbus Beluga at my backyard but it's just there to bring my dogs to the groomer once in awhile.." really is jin satki mens..

lol 500Gbps don't bother waste your time go return la.. you just demand them send a technician come and collect themselves and when they reach just throw the box at them and show them your 500Gbps speedtest result. I think even if their head factured they also llst kneel down and kowtow then say sorry to you and quietly crawl out of your house.. :s13:

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Such TV ERA has been over a few years ago. Now still got TVB anywhere so such middle man is hard to do. Direct from supplier now.

hanz170

Reaction score
Such TV ERA has been over a few years ago. Now still got TVB anywhere so such middle man is hard to do. Direct from supplier now.

I was surprised how good Chromecast video quality is, should have tried sooner.

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
knn they offer me $22.90

and a free $20 robinson voucher

i wonder how they decide the offer

Wonder why you didn't get the $19.90 Fibre BB offer :s11:
Even with the $20 voucher break into 24 months is 83c per month and you still paying $22 per month for the 1Gbps Fibre BB. Although $2 difference a small amount but to me I never want big c/o like ISPs to profit more from me :D

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wonder why you didn't get the $19.90 Fibre BB offer :s11:
Even with the $20 voucher break into 24 months is 83c per month and you still paying $22 per month for the 1Gbps Fibre BB. Although $2 difference a small amount but to me I never want big c/o like ISPs to profit more from me :D

Such promotion is based on a case to case basis.

tunasing

Reaction score

Another great advantage of subscribing direct from TVB I just realised is you get to watch their latest dramas earlier... Much earlier than with Starhub TV. My wife used to worry about me terminating our SCV but know she is happily watching the latest while her friends complaint nothing to watch on their Starhub fibre TV :)

Ottoke

Reaction score
Another great advantage of subscribing direct from TVB I just realised is you get to watch their latest dramas earlier... Much earlier than with Starhub TV. My wife used to worry about me terminating our SCV but know she is happily watching the latest while her friends complaint nothing to watch on their Starhub fibre TV :)

Depends on the drama. Some dramas release 5 eps per week due to agreement with China. For StarHub side, they follow TVB schedule, that's why some drama never release 5 eps at 1 shot

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes most dramas are the latest and immediately available when TVB is ready.

tunasing

Reaction score
Depends on the drama. Some dramas release 5 eps per week due to agreement with China. For StarHub side, they follow TVB schedule, that's why some drama never release 5 eps at 1 shot

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm not talking about loading speed but when the drama is available to us after TVB release it in HK. Occasionally you can still get one that is 同步播放 but majority is only after a couple of weeks delay.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.