[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read online don't over feed. If not it will poo untill ur water perimeter go crazy then gg
My puffer has been up down the tank since yester. Donno is a gd thing. Online said is common form them. And maybe also one of the water perimeter is wrong
Sent from JIAOWEI *呼吸水晶* using GAGT

From another point of view, this means puffers need oversized filters, or filters that are more efficient at processing waste.

If they are nitrate sensitive, you need more WC or a working denitrification stage in the filter.

We are keepers of water. The fish keep themselves.

Do you have basic test kit? Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia/pH. If you do (and you should), you can turn the maybe in your post into a definite yes or no, and take appropriate remedial action.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine too! My tap water ph 7.6, gh 4, kh 2, tds 71.

Typical Singapore water. Bicarbonate of soda can raise KH. Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and calcium chloride can raise GH.

Do note that adding these can(will) have effect on pH.

KH is important for biological filters. Nitrifying bacteria eat KH. This means that KH of a tank goes down over time. When KH reaches 0, the biofilter's efficiency is compromized.

The other side effect is that the water loses its buffering capacity. This is important. Loss of buffering capacity means that a small amount of acid or akali has the potential to cause a large swing in pH. Large pH swings kill fish.

In a tank, KH is generally far more important than GH. Keep that in mind, and try to buffer your water to 5 or more.

If you keep dirty fish like goldfish, 8-12 is fine. They also like the pH 8.3 that is characteristic of a sodium bicarbonate buffered system.

KH can be supplemented in acid water systems (pH <7) using oyster shell and coral chips. These supplements stop working if pH rises above 7.

Last edited:

jeffcech

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice! i got 1 ready made one in the end. Beginner here.

Had a 60cm X 30cm X 45cm (think it is called 2ft tank?) set up with,

- rocks, ferns, lilaeopsis, nana and pebbles
- Currently with 20x neon tetra, 20x wild guppies

Is this too overcrowded?

Last edited:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Words of caution, guppies multiply really fast. Maybe half the numbers for both tetra and guppies? Not forgetting you still have plants lor

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay l feel for 60/30/45
Ur 45 is width or height ?

But since got neon tetra if they are decent sized
No need to worry too much about guppy population 😂😂

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice! i got 1 ready made one in the end. Beginner here.

Had a 60cm X 30cm X 45cm (think it is called 2ft tank?) set up with,

- rocks, ferns, lilaeopsis, nana and pebbles
- Currently with 20x neon tetra, 20x wild guppies

Is this too overcrowded?

If you think it is then yes. Tank Stock Calculator you can search.

More fish more waste. In a highly populated tank, good filteration and heavily planted, it has no issue. We sorta emphasise more on filteration and heavily planted. But every two-three years or so, rescaping is preferred for thorough maintenance.

If you buying all male guppies, then no worry about breeding issue. Since fish have life span, usually we try out diff fish at diff period. So pretty much what your heart tells you. We all have mood end of the day.

1ft 2ft pretty easy to find eg. lighting, etc. But u add a 0.5 first you think can find or not. Eg.
1.5ft tank with 2ft adjustable overhead light.
Translation is algae problem, too much light.

So I wont go for that extra 0.5ft.

Last edited:

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read online don't over feed. If not it will poo untill ur water perimeter go crazy then gg
My puffer has been up down the tank since yester. Donno is a gd thing. Online said is common form them. And maybe also one of the water perimeter is wrong

I remember the looks of the dwarf puffer. He was hovering around leaves with big eyes moving around, actively looking for tiny snails. He did these for a few days. Then, he rested in peace on the ground.
I think he did not get a chance to poo too.

Computeron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last night I fed my puffer one cube of blood worms. He ate till stomach big big sia.

Mine got poo. Like after every meal.

Puffer died lying on ground? Not float?

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i see those ang mo sites all keep puffer solo in those 100 gallon tanks..:(
sibeh envy.

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those ang mo also can keep the bettas, one betta can put in 2 to 3 gallons :o really envy

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can try customise one outside your flat... :p

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last night I fed my puffer one cube of blood worms. He ate till stomach big big sia.

Hee Hee...too heavy to float. Fish are like that. An aro if overfed, it will grow fast but the scale will not be nice. So control feeding is what we does all the time. Small price to pay to learn a lesson I guess.

We all go through that lesson time to time.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hiwamari sat map shows region countries covering with clouds at the moment. Humidity should be high, night temperature should fall further. Monitor your tank temperature, should it be too warm use ice block to lower that temperature.

Computeron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i see those ang mo sites all keep puffer solo in those 100 gallon tanks..:(
sibeh envy.
Saw one youtuber even kept piglets in their car garage... Inside machiam farm
Bo bian Singapore.. Too much tanks ur bills sky high. Ur parents kpkb

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Worms must be delicious. Puffers are fussy eaters and will rather die than to eat flakes. They die on the gravel as other fish. Wondering if shrimps will die if they eat dead puffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.