Recommendation to upgrade Gaming Rig

k3nshi

Reaction score
Dear all, thanks for taking time to read this thread.

I'm looking to rebuild/change my current rig to a latest one. My current one was built almost 8 years ago with the R9 2 Series given by a friend couple of years ago.

My spec is those on the right and is there anything i need to change or can be re-use? budget looking at around 1.2k.

thanks all for the help. cheers.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to change the CPU+MB+RAM and add an SSD for the OS.

Everything else is optional and depends on what you are using the PC for.

For gaming, you will certainly need a better GPU. I would suggest a used GTX 1070 at around $300 though you might want to wait a bit as prices of new and old GPUs are expected to fall should rumors of Nvidia-refresh GPUs proved to be true.

k3nshi

Reaction score
Hi Koenig168, thanks for the kind advice.

Will you be able to recommend me parts that i should get?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suggest you check back here after 7/7 when the new Ryzen CPUs are out. Quite a lot of folks here are waiting for these ....

Tan Gee Ming

Reaction score
You need to change the CPU+MB+RAM and add an SSD for the OS.

Everything else is optional and depends on what you are using the PC for.

For gaming, you will certainly need a better GPU. I would suggest a used GTX 1070 at around $300 though you might want to wait a bit as prices of new and old GPUs are expected to fall should rumors of Nvidia-refresh GPUs proved to be true.

- dont have to change the ssd. hdd can work also.
- if there are new gpu, why use old gpu 1070. outdated already.

k3nshi

Reaction score
Yup, i intend to get new parts. Or bascially if everything doesnt really fit. Then getting a new one at a budget of 1.2-1.3k. So you suggest i should wait for a bit since there is Nivdia refresh and Ryzen 3000 is coming?

Tan Gee Ming

Reaction score
nvidia is making "super" graphics card. if u have $$, can wait. they will be more expensive than current gpu cards though.

Excedar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would be better to wait till 7/7 for the review of the new gpu and of course the ryzen 3000 cpu.

I'm in a similar situation as you but planning to wait and see how everything plays out.

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wait for a few weeks ba and see how the market adjust itself to get a better price/performance deal.

Tan Gee Ming

Reaction score
wait for ryzen 3000 series to be out... dont think gpu prices will drop since there is no competition from amd.

k3nshi

Reaction score
Dear all, thanks for the advice. Shall just wait abit till July before coming back for advice again. Have a great weekend ahead.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.