Home Automation Enthusiasts

topherw86

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning to change all my livolo switches since I have just found out that most of the other brands can have different codes for on and off.

May I check what is the preferred/recommended/lasting brand out there?
I saw retouch, yoogee, funry.

Also, I currently have the livolo remote rmt-04 (27 switches). This same remote can be used with any other RF switches?

Thanks!!

gheesung

Reaction score
I only managed to get Google home app on the phone to work for Chinese command. My Google Home and Mini speaker do not understand Chinese.

It was widely reported that Google Assistant added Simplified Chinese/Mandarin support to mobile phones (Android 1st and iPhone later) in middle May this year.

Today I managed to add Simplified Chinese under Google Home app and was pleasantly surprised my Google Home Mini responded to all the test cases mentioned in this article.
Apparently this is in beta for smart speakers (couldn't find any link of the beta release) and not yet released for smart display - it doesn't work for my Lenovo Smart Display.

I was also able to issue HA commands in Mandarin to control the lights/routines etc.

Wondering if anybody else has this language option enabled in their Google Home app?

CyberMew

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If my devices are not smart, how do I go about setting it up? What do I need to start my smart journey?

Vulpix

Reaction score
If my devices are not smart, how do I go about setting it up? What do I need to start my smart journey?
Please be more specific what kind if devices or things you want to make smart. It's so broad, how to help you? At the very least you must know what your goal is.

CyberMew

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Please be more specific what kind if devices or things you want to make smart. It's so broad, how to help you? At the very least you must know what your goal is.

Basic stuff like controlling lights and fans and aircon and tv via voice, preferably via Apple home (I’m Iphone user) but I guess Google is ok too. I would also like to have a e-door viewer(?) if possible..

I do know of motion sensor stuff but I think those can come later right?

I’m renovating now so if need to hack or what this is the best time I guess

Vulpix

Reaction score
Basic stuff like controlling lights and fans and aircon and tv via voice, preferably via Apple home (I’m Iphone user) but I guess Google is ok too. I would also like to have a e-door viewer(?) if possible..

I’m renovating now so if need to hack or what this is the best time I guess
The first thing you should do is to pull neutral wire to all your light switches. Next take a look at this newbie guide:

After that you need to decide on your budget, and decide if you want to go wifi or z-wave or zigbee light switches, or you want to go smart bulbs. After that need to decide which hub you want for your z-wave/zigbee, no need if going wifi.

singcheng

Reaction score
Basic stuff like controlling lights and fans and aircon and tv via voice, preferably via Apple home (I*********m Iphone user) but I guess Google is ok too. I would also like to have a e-door viewer(?) if possible..

I*********m renovating now so if need to hack or what this is the best time I guess

If you have Neutral wire at your light control switch, then you will have the option of install wifi smart switch later on.

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, what's the best Wifi light switch that will work with Google Home/Assistant?

Also, I have seen this thrown around quite often, but how do I know if my switch has a neutral wire?

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
If you don't know whether the switch has neutral wire, it's likely it doesn't have. Ask your electrician or open up see.

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Thanks, i opened the switch box (2 gang) and only see 4 wires (likely 2 red wires per gang) - means no neutral?

also re: the other part of the question
- What's the best smart light switch available that works with GH?

lioney

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for device for controlling aircon and tv via infrared that is compatible with google home?

singcheng

Reaction score
Any recommendation for device for controlling aircon and tv via infrared that is compatible with google home?

Broadlink Mini 3

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.

LouisLoh

Reaction score
zznnd4xua5431.jpg

Anyone teach pls? How to move the wires?

pustefix

Reaction score
zznnd4xua5431.jpg

Anyone teach pls? How to move the wires?

The 2 wires with the black casing are the Live wires, it should be connected to the extreme right L on TC2 (2 wires in 1 hole). The short wire that is connecting the 2 switch can be removed. Put the other 2 wires into L1 and L3 respectively. Remember to turn off the mains before you change the wires, test it first before closing and also test other lights as it might affect them if your wiring is wrong.

zoneguard

Reaction score
The 2 wires with the black casing are the Live wires, it should be connected to the extreme right L on TC2 (2 wires in 1 hole). The short wire that is connecting the 2 switch can be removed. Put the other 2 wires into L1 and L3 respectively. Remember to turn off the mains before you change the wires, test it first before closing and also test other lights as it might affect them if your wiring is wrong.

I concur. But if you are not sure, better to get a LEW (electrician) to do the work.

Explanation of connections:

1. The short wire provides a connection between the 'Live' of the 2 gangs switches for current to flow to both gangs as only 1 live wire from the wall is needed. When you insert the 2 wires (with black casing) into the 'L' hole of TC2 switch, it achieves the same end. There are 2 live wires from the wall - this might be providing current to other switches.

2. The other 2 red wires go to your lighting to provide current. The switch basically cuts current to the lighting when you switch off either gang. Hence pustefix's advice to insert into L1 and L3 of TC2 switch to achieve the same thing.

3. At the lighting, there is neutral wire connection for the current to flow and entire electrical circuit to be complete.

Last edited:

zhix

Reaction score
Hi @zoneguard, can i ask .. are you able to initiate video calls on DUO on your Lenovo Smart Display?

It was widely reported that Google Assistant added Simplified Chinese/Mandarin support to mobile phones (Android 1st and iPhone later) in middle May this year.

Today I managed to add Simplified Chinese under Google Home app and was pleasantly surprised my Google Home Mini responded to all the test cases mentioned in this article.
Apparently this is in beta for smart speakers (couldn't find any link of the beta release) and not yet released for smart display - it doesn't work for my Lenovo Smart Display.

I was also able to issue HA commands in Mandarin to control the lights/routines etc.

Wondering if anybody else has this language option enabled in their Google Home app?

zoneguard

Reaction score
Hi @zoneguard, can i ask .. are you able to initiate video calls on DUO on your Lenovo Smart Display?

I don't use DUO. Anyway the front cam is permanently switched off via the toggle switch.

Side-note: The Mandarin ability for Google Home disappeared one morning. Now it only understands English.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.