The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Reaction score
I believe there’s some level of laohua/presbyopia setting in. Still it’s best to go get it check.

Anyway from the earlier post, even if you go those poly Optometry centres, there is no obligation to buy glasses there. Just a cheaper alternative to get your eye prescription and eye health checked at basic fee!

Quick note though. Optometry centres @ Polytechnics gives you your refraction findings.

The refraction findings will be used as reference to derive your prescription by Optometrist & Opticians working in Optical shops after taking into account your previous degree + the frame & lens type chosen

Refraction finding = Maximum sharpest vision
Prescription = Most Comfortable vision

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
But poly timing not suitable lol.

but than during my pri sch...
the optometry say i got laohua liao :s22::s22::s13:

I believe there’s some level of laohua/presbyopia setting in. Still it’s best to go get it check.

Anyway from the earlier post, even if you go those poly Optometry centres, there is no obligation to buy glasses there. Just a cheaper alternative to get your eye prescription and eye health checked at basic fee!

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s only right for each optometrist or optician to refine any prescription given whether it’s from a doctor or other places. But my solution for him/her is to let him/her know if there is any level of myopia/hyperopia and presbyopia. In no way I would just accept any prescription unless stated “followed prescription exactly as stated”.

But thanks for the heads up:)

Edit*
It’s a rough gauge at a cheap price to have a understanding on his/her degree,what’s more OCT,IOP,Fundus is all taken. I don’t think there are many optical shop(probably there are) that will do a free eye check or even free OCt services or charge at that price
Thus this is just an alternative as I mention he/she doesn’t have to purchase any frames or lenses too.

Quick note though. Optometry centres @ Polytechnics gives you your refraction findings.

The refraction findings will be used as reference to derive your prescription by Optometrist & Opticians working in Optical shops after taking into account your previous degree + the frame & lens type chosen

Refraction finding = Maximum sharpest vision
Prescription = Most Comfortable vision

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It’s just a buffer time. And why 2 hours?
Because after checking, the supervisor will make sure that all is done fine.
Also other test including OCtT, Fundus,Eye pressure will all be tested. Posterior and anterior health will also be checked thoroughly.
Not something done regularly at any normal optical shop Such tests performed in the hospital or private eye clinic will amount to 200-500. Over here only at 5 dollars for the public. So there’s really no harm if you can spare an hour to 2.

but they check eye 2 hour up

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
they are trainee ah hmmmmmm

Also other test including OCtT, Fundus,Eye pressure will all be tested. Posterior and anterior health will also be checked thoroughly.
Not something done regularly at any normal optical shop Such tests performed in the hospital or private eye clinic will amount to 200-500. Over here only at 5 dollars for the public. So there’s really no harm if you can spare an hour to 2.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes but the supervisors who are full fledge optometrists and some OD and phd are also there to double check.

You will be in safe hands. But this is to suit what you are asking for.

they are trainee ah hmmmmmm

JimmyWimmy

Reaction score
Anyone can recommend me a lens that can reduce eyestrain from staring at computer 8-10hrs per day.

Late 20s with degree around 600-700 both eyes and some slight astigmatism around 200 (not too sure about my astig).

Budget around 500-700 total.

Lens 500+ and a cheap frame maybe 100-200?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
oh ok thanks.

i cfm need a spec, just tht i dont really want to go for a ex one.

The last time, i wear is pri school and make me very un-comfortable (dizzy) since than i never wear again.

Notice, now a day the Spectacle got many feature also... abit blur ahah

Yes but the supervisors who are full fledge optometrists and some OD and phd are also there to double check.

You will be in safe hands. But this is to suit what you are asking for.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone can recommend me a lens that can reduce eyestrain from staring at computer 8-10hrs per day.

Late 20s with degree around 600-700 both eyes and some slight astigmatism around 200 (not too sure about my astig).

Budget around 500-700 total.

Lens 500+ and a cheap frame maybe 100-200?

Hi, you can look towards,
Zeiss(digital lenses or EnergizeME(depending on your age))
Hoya(Hoya Sync lll)
Essilor(Eyezen)
Shamir(Shamir Relax)
There are more brands in the market but these lenses should help reduce eyestrains.

Blue Reflect lenses have the yellowish hue to reduce more glare. (just that there are individuals who do not like it thus they have to use other brands)e.g. Tokai Lutina, Shamir Bluezero whereby they are blue Absorb THUS doing the same function but without yellowish hue.

Personally i am using the Blue Reflect and find it really comfortable especially using computer in the dark at this timing. Haha:s13:

Cheers!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
oh ok thanks.

i cfm need a spec, just tht i dont really want to go for a ex one.

The last time, i wear is pri school and make me very un-comfortable (dizzy) since than i never wear again.

Notice, now a day the Spectacle got many feature also... abit blur ahah

Dont worry, you can ask us here if you have any questions.

Cheers!

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to make specs, no need check eye 2h.

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would have go for the two hours test if I were to make spec, since I’m already there, I can know my ocular health too

Cannot debate that you only making spectacle and you only need normal refraction.

Especially those elderly is highly recommended. Just like my case, I wouldn’t known I’m suspected to have arcus senilis at young age.

Select your optician/optometrist carefully. Select those who are truly concerned about your eyes and not making sales only.

Very thankful to all the opticians/optometrists who constantly contribute to this thread.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
I would have go for the two hours test if I were to make spec, since I’m already there, I can know my ocular health too

Cannot debate that you only making spectacle and you only need normal refraction.

Especially those elderly is highly recommended. Just like my case, I wouldn’t known I’m suspected to have arcus senilis at young age.

Select your optician/optometrist carefully. Select those who are truly concerned about your eyes and not making sales only.

Very thankful to all the opticians/optometrists who constantly contribute to this thread.

govt need to do a little bit more to recognize our existence :s13:
wa so young arcus... but bo bian also cant do anything..

you not in this trade anymore?

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Totally agree on this. Majority of the general public do not see us as a professional. All merely see us as “salesperson” at times.

But what kept us motivated and going were those smiles and expressed their gratitude from their bottom of their hearts.

Yes I am still practicing.

govt need to do a little bit more to recognize our existence :s13:
wa so young arcus... but bo bian also cant do anything..

you not in this trade anymore?

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Totally agree on this. Majority of the general public do not see us as a professional. All merely see us as “salesperson” at times.

But what kept us motivated and going were those smiles and expressed their gratitude from their bottom of their hearts.

Yes I am still practicing.

Agree. I think the optician/optometrist's role is way under-appreciated in today's environment. Where people think that dispensing prescriptions is just about using the autorefractor...

In my case, I wore my old glasses for 4(!) years. Didn't realise my Rx had changed so much: SPH was lowered by -0.50 (the optometrist had a bit of a judgement call), astig was 0.5-0.75 higher, and some minor changes in axis. Also added +0.50 for reading, with iScription and BlueProtect.

My new pair of glasses was like a breath of fresh air...

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Agree. I think the optician/optometrist's role is way under-appreciated in today's environment. Where people think that dispensing prescriptions is just about using the autorefractor...

In my case, I wore my old glasses for 4(!) years. Didn't realise my Rx had changed so much: SPH was lowered by -0.50 (the optometrist had a bit of a judgement call), astig was 0.5-0.75 higher, and some minor changes in axis. Also added +0.50 for reading, with iScription and BlueProtect.

My new pair of glasses was like a breath of fresh air...

People like you makes our job much more worthwhile

Honestly, we don't get paid alot for the work that we do.

Sometimes wish i did something else but it is the patient satisfaction that is so so rewarding.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.