[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i had 4hdd 4TB but i sure, i only use 2hdd.

The last, i remember i start off with SHR and nv change since than...
similar to raid 1, mirroring each other.

later i go back check again.

If you are using SHR-1, u should have 3hdd "spacing" instead of 2. So is either i misunderstood you or u did not make urself clear.

which is which ?

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i had 4hdd 4TB but i sure, i only use 2hdd.

The last, i remember i start off with SHR and nv change since than...
similar to raid 1, mirroring each other.

later i go back check again.

u take picture, put here i tell u faster.

i think u are mistaken with either the amount u could use or the raid type u are on.

Either that or your disk 4 not in use... alot of possibilities.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
dsAGLze.jpg

O9Jcbql.jpg

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you crafted two pools/volumes.

In other words, your SHR is effectively RAID1 each. Thats why you can only use 1 drive on each group.

If there is no need to separate them, create a single volume and SHR it. You will effectively have more space (13TB-SHR1) - is your choice though.

Something like this;
2zgrdap.jpg

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toshiba HDD

just to show how reliable Toshiba HDD are.

28a6xja.jpg

33679 hours (3.8 years) already...

approaching 4 years... maybe is time to upgrade :p

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
no idea why is like tht..

but i want RAID1

you crafted two pools/volumes.

In other words, your SHR is effectively RAID1 each. Thats why you can only use 1 drive on each group.

If there is no need to separate them, create a single volume and SHR it. You will effectively have more space (13TB-SHR1) - is your choice though.

Something like this;
2zgrdap.jpg

midlusionz

Reaction score
just to show how reliable Toshiba HDD are.

28a6xja.jpg

33679 hours (3.8 years) already...

approaching 4 years... maybe is time to upgrade :p

Think maybe i sway.. 1 of my Toshiba HDD died after like 6 months .. just went to RMA it :<

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no idea why is like tht..

but i want RAID1

Then you are effectively getting what you have crafted.

So your argument earlier on SHR for 4 disks only usable on 2 is misleading. Your SHRs are running on RAID1 hence = 2 disks usable

Last edited:

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is 3.5 years a good return on investment to my DS415P?
Out of warranty and motherboard died LOL... and is already out of production...

Going to change to 2-bay NAS this time as a bit underuse.. any recommendation ?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is 3.5 years a good return on investment to my DS415P?
Out of warranty and motherboard died LOL... and is already out of production...

Going to change to 2-bay NAS this time as a bit underuse.. any recommendation ?

You can ROI it :) If you are doing a business, and the cost generate revenue, then it is ROI. If you are just buying it to store your data and that’s it, you will never ROI. It is the same as you pay 10 years COE for the car, and everyday you are consuming your investment. So what you really want to know is, is this entitlement. going to last you 3.5 years or 10 years.

I have been running my DS1511+ for the last 6.5 years(based on the powered on hours of my WD RED), could be slightly more for 24x7, and still running. Well I will consider it a good investment since it has served me well and have been protecting my data all these years.

Do you run your NAS 24x7? You do know machine last longer if you don’t keep powering it up and down.

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can ROI it :) If you are doing a business, and the cost generate revenue, then it is ROI. If you are just buying it to store your data and that’s it, you will never ROI. It is the same as you pay 10 years COE for the car, and everyday you are consuming your investment. So what you really want to know is, is this entitlement. going to last you 3.5 years or 10 years.

I have been running my DS1511+ for the last 6.5 years(based on the powered on hours of my WD RED), could be slightly more for 24x7, and still running. Well I will consider it a good investment since it has served me well and have been protecting my data all these years.

Do you run your NAS 24x7? You do know machine last longer if you don’t keep powering it up and down.

thanks for the advise. as the model suggest i only use it for 'play' aka data storage and media streaming.
i usually shut down a few hours after midnight.. also sometimes random the power trips and blackouts do not help the lifespan i guess.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advise. as the model suggest i only use it for 'play' aka data storage and media streaming.
i usually shut down a few hours after midnight.. also sometimes random the power trips and blackouts do not help the lifespan i guess.

If you want ur NAS and harddisk to last longer. Get a UPS and run them 24x7. They don’t consume that much power seriously. My harddisk running in the box are constantly at above 45 deg celcius for some and brand’s like WD RED run at 38. I retired a few older WD RED because I am upgrading my RAID6 volume size. When there are power trips, the NAS will eventually do a graceful power off and restart when the power is up again.

I have been running my NAS for nearly 7 years non stop is good evidence that stability and consistency favour longevity for machines.

Every day the box will automatically do SMART tests and extended across weeks, and scrubbing of the entire RAID monthly. That is how I know the volume is healthy and my data is safe

harharhar

Reaction score
Which UPS you guys recommend? Most budget-friendly, with sufficient capacity to last a power trip and auto-shutdown monitoring.

Thanks!

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which UPS you guys recommend? Most budget-friendly, with sufficient capacity to last a power trip and auto-shutdown monitoring.

Thanks!

Autoshutdown is a feature from the NAS. UPS that allow integration merely feedback the status and level of the battery charge

I am using the following https://www.apc.com/shop/sg/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-CS-650VA-230V-ASEAN/P-BK650-AS

The sealed battery will need to change across roughly 2+years of continuous use. I buy 3rd party replacement from sim lim.
I connect most of my network devices including the NAS, so that notification can continue to send out from the NAS after power trip.

You probably wouldn’t need to last across a power trip, but typically for the NAS alone it will last u for an hour at least, for my case, only less than an hour. Most important is graceful shutdown.

harharhar

Reaction score
Autoshutdown is a feature from the NAS. UPS that allow integration merely feedback the status and level of the battery charge

I am using the following https://www.apc.com/shop/sg/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-CS-650VA-230V-ASEAN/P-BK650-AS

The sealed battery will need to change across roughly 2+years of continuous use. I buy 3rd party replacement from sim lim.
I connect most of my network devices including the NAS, so that notification can continue to send out from the NAS after power trip.

You probably wouldn’t need to last across a power trip, but typically for the NAS alone it will last u for an hour at least, for my case, only less than an hour. Most important is graceful shutdown.

Thanks for the recommendation and advice, I will look for it :)

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want ur NAS and harddisk to last longer. Get a UPS and run them 24x7. They don’t consume that much power seriously. My harddisk running in the box are constantly at above 45 deg celcius for some and brand’s like WD RED run at 38. I retired a few older WD RED because I am upgrading my RAID6 volume size. When there are power trips, the NAS will eventually do a graceful power off and restart when the power is up again.

I have been running my NAS for nearly 7 years non stop is good evidence that stability and consistency favour longevity for machines.

Every day the box will automatically do SMART tests and extended across weeks, and scrubbing of the entire RAID monthly. That is how I know the volume is healthy and my data is safe

Do you enable HDD sleep after x time if they are no activities?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My usage for ds418 with 4x Toshiba 7200rpm HDD is non 24x7:
Weekday: 7pm-1am, 30 hrs
Weekend: 8am-1am, 34 hrs
Weekly total: 64 hrs
Mode: Power schedule in DSM, no UPS attached.

I do see the value of UPS at my workplace with Fluke 5700A calibrator connecting to APC UPS. The output of 5700A is much more stable as compared to without the UPS.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you enable HDD sleep after x time if they are no activities?

No need. My harddisk will always be running because I have video surveillance which will continuously be writing to the harddisks. Hence the harddisks will always be spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.