Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

giraffey

Reaction score
hi, need advice on this situation:

1. Facts: My son is about to go US study for 5 years in coming August, and only likely to come back to sg during school holidays, about once a year for about 2 weeks. Currently his is on Singtel combo 2 CIS (old) plan paying $29.90+$5 caller ID+GST per month, no contract.

2. He intend to get a US phone plan for his stay in US, but want to keep his Sg hp nos for 2FA, and friends contact. And use in sg when he is back to sg during school holiday.

Obviously stepping down sg hp plan is a must as he rarely use it in sg. The question is to which plan.

I did a brief research, I think stepping down to Singtel GOMO, paying $20+GST per month, but I am not sure if
a. can receive 2FS SMS oversea?
b. can port existing postpaid nos over to GOMO plan? I don't mind paying 1 time porting fee.

Also, is there other better plan fr other telco? How about porting existing prepaid nos to post paid paln?

Thanks in advance for all input.

There is a free circles life flexi plan if you port over to them.

mankind66

Reaction score
Ask singtel whether you can suspend the line and pay $5 per month until you need to use them. Can't remember whether it's singtel or m1 that has this option.

1. Facts: My son is about to go US study for 5 years in coming August, and only likely to come back to sg during school holidays, about once a year for about 2 weeks. Currently his is on Singtel combo 2 CIS (old) plan paying $29.90+$5 caller ID+GST per month, no contract.

2. He intend to get a US phone plan for his stay in US, but want to keep his Sg hp nos for 2FA, and friends contact. And use in sg when he is back to sg during school holiday.

Obviously stepping down sg hp plan is a must as he rarely use it in sg. The question is to which plan.

I did a brief research, I think stepping down to Singtel GOMO, paying $20+GST per month, but I am not sure if
b. can port existing postpaid nos over to GOMO plan? I don't mind paying 1 time porting fee.

Also, is there other better plan fr other telco? How about porting existing prepaid nos to post paid paln?

BabyTurkey

Reaction score

Don't suspend the plan, else he will not be able to receive 2FA.

If you have another Singtel mobile line that is a Combo plan, you can call Singtel to convert your son's line into a Mobileshare supplementary line. I think the price is $12.90 per month (no caller-ID) so it'll be cheaper than GOMO.

Alternatively, you can try Circles.Life $0 flexi-plan as someone mentioned. Receiving 2FA overseas works. However, need to check the fine print for any minimum usage to "keep alive" the line.

Reaction score
Want to change to sim only leh but still under contract till november for both lines. currently also using starhub for tv and fibre internet. will they disconnect if i dun pay the early termination charges?paying now 88 per line subscription starhub really fleece n users up tot the max.

of cos they will disconnect your lines if your don't pay the early termination charges..... wont be so nice dont disconnect de..

cal3135

Reaction score
•fallback 2FA to physical dongles or use family phone line as his 2FA

•call SingTel to suspense line @ $5/month

•when in state with local data, continue to use Whatsapp, messenger n Viber seamlessly 👌...

•use dual APPs on above if requires

Reaction score
Temporary suspend your son's current mobile line with Singtel for $5 per month. + Change his auth mobile number for OTPs/2FA with US sim card number? (heard is possible) or change to physical dongles.

SibehHL

Reaction score
Keep hearing people advise use physical dongles... suspend main lines etc...

Singpass how? Some banks don’t renew or issue dongles anymore how? Overseas dongle battery run low how?

cal3135

Reaction score
•Banks - do the necessary battery renewal of dongle with banks prior ur trip

•plan your back up on above

•Singpass - request for Onekey dongle (was explained by officer not to canx mine on this overseas purpose)

•was away. few years overseas(diff timezone) with above .. no issues 👌 phone line was suspended

Singpass how? Some banks don’t renew or issue dongles anymore how? Overseas dongle battery run low how?

Tsting

Reaction score
I am also about to head overseas, for quite a while.
I also want to be able to receive certain incoming calls to my sgp mobile number, such as those from banks (to verify transactions), or other official purposes.

Will probably go for the myrepublic plans.
18 per month. Nett.
Able to receive incoming calls via app.
Make outgoing calls to sgp numbers via app.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Iszit? I think $0 plan very limited, only can topup talktime and data, cannot topup SMS?

Roaming only available on the $28/mo base plan leh..... so $0/mo plan can receive SMS while overseas?
https://circlesasiasupport.zendesk....do-I-roam-with-Circles-Life-?mobile_site=true

Alternatively, you can try Circles.Life $0 flexi-plan as someone mentioned. Receiving 2FA overseas works. However, need to check the fine print for any minimum usage to "keep alive" the line.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
The fine print says “throttled at 128kbps...”, which is 0.128Mbps...

my fren say after the data gets throttled.. it's virtually unusable... can at most send messages... wan to surf web also very hard.... :o

otherwise it is still ok...

regards,
wacky

OnePunch!!

Reaction score
Now bank switch 2fa to phone liAo fully phone unless u wana do more secure transaction then need physical token

Allthouvkt hAving 2fa supprt is still best of overses eitehr the $0 cL flexy or redone $8
Suspend the line is not a wise choice
And get a dual sim phone

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
To all bros and sis in circles, may I ask how is it for you, in terms of the data calculation and support etc?

I was planning to go circles Sim only (cis) but I saw reviews from seedy that their data calculations is inaccurate, for example an existing 3gb subscriber suddenly see his data being 20+gb after making the switch.

Thanks all!

SibehHL

Reaction score
In 2017 Citibank already told me they won’t replace my dongle... same goes with standchart & Singpass, dbs went digital this year.. no one uses dongle anymore

However, to make it secure, otp is still needed. So if one prefers to carry multiple dongles that’s fine but some others will prefer to use phone apps with the additional security of OTP & 2FA...

I am overseas right now and carrying multiple dongles is the last thing I want to do

•Banks - do the necessary battery renewal of dongle with banks prior ur trip

•plan your back up on above

•Singpass - request for Onekey dongle (was explained by officer not to canx mine on this overseas purpose)

•was away. few years overseas(diff timezone) with above .. no issues 👌 phone line was suspended

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The fine print says “throttled at 128kbps...”, which is 0.128Mbps...

Still considered 3G speed? (redone)

UCPKGMY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.