Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

ice_angel

Reaction score
Sorry.. new to this.. please help to advise..
By end of month the starhub cable service will cease but we haven't transited to fiber yet.
Reason is although the Fiber point is in our living room, but it is at the opposite side of the wall as the TV. We called a few times to starhub, the CSO said must have direct wire connection between the fiber point to the TV, otherwise cannot use fiber TV service, which requires additional trunking/dismantle the false ceiling etc. However my friend who has similar issue told me that the Starhub technician can fix this, no additional trunking/wiring is needed, but he couldn't provide the details of how the Starhub technician did it.

Anybody can advise if it is possible for our living room setup to have the fiber TV at all without much wiring?

Actually we also thought about terminating the cable TV for all then just uses Netflix and youtube. But there are still programs my kid is watching such as Disney junior and occasionally Fox crime for us. Netflix doesn't have the same episodes so we would still like to keep the normal TV channel, unless anyone has better suggestions..

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
By end of month the starhub cable service will cease but we haven't transited to fiber yet.
Reason is although the Fiber point is in our living room, but it is at the opposite side of the wall as the TV. We called a few times to starhub, the CSO said must have direct wire connection between the fiber point to the TV, otherwise cannot use fiber TV service, which requires additional trunking/dismantle the false ceiling etc. However my friend who has similar issue told me that the Starhub technician can fix this, no additional trunking/wiring is needed, but he couldn't provide the details of how the Starhub technician did it.

Anybody can advise if it is possible for our living room setup to have the fiber TV at all without much wiring?

Actually we also thought about terminating the cable TV for all then just uses Netflix and youtube. But there are still programs my kid is watching such as Disney junior and occasionally Fox crime for us. Netflix doesn't have the same episodes so we would still like to keep the normal TV channel, unless anyone has better suggestions..
the only way to not have additional wiring is if there is an existing coaxial point (aka SCV point) at the fibre point, and at the TV area. If you meet this criteria, just tell Starhub you would like the EOC option (it's free).

https://www.starhub.com/personal/su...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html

ice_angel

Reaction score
homeplug can work if you house wiring is not too old. I am using at home

11 Years old..
Do you mean from the ONT (which is at the opposite side of the room), I can use powerline to connect to the fibre setup box that is near my TV?

ice_angel

Reaction score

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
You may want to ask your husband to check again to confirm there is no SCV point near the ONT. I asked this question because I was sort of in a similar situation.

I lived in a condo and the ONT point was in a storeroom. I was asking myself why the ONT point was in the storeroom and it occurred to me that it is the closest area to outside the house. So if the ONT point goes in from there it is likely that the SCV cable also came into the house via the same route. I lived in the house for 5 years and I did not noticed that hidden in one of the top corner of the storeroom was a unremarkable box (10cm x 10cm) mounted on the wall. I have no idea what was inside the box. I opened it up and found the SCV point. So in my case the SCV point was kept out of sight.

With the ONT and SCV point inside the same storeroom I was able to adopt the EOCC solution from Starhub. It worked out well for me. I got everything set up last week.

Hubby said fibre point doesn't have the SCV point. Only has fibre and power point...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
11 Years old..
Do you mean from the ONT (which is at the opposite side of the room), I can use powerline to connect to the fibre setup box that is near my TV?

Powerline adapter may work. The problem is that it is not supported by Starhub (not supported by SingTel either) so you are on your own.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

One possibility is to switch to SingTel Family Favorite pack which I am a subscriber. It has the channels you want.

http://singteltv.com.sg/price-plan.html?q=starter-packs&p=family-favourites

Take note you do not need to subscribe to SingTel Fibre for this and it does support Wireless. SingTel provided Wireless Home Bridge should work for you. You can pm the SingTel representative here. They do monitor this thread.

And if you switch to SingTel for both Fibre Broadband and SingTel TV, they may have better offer for you.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You have several options.
1. Pull an Ethernet cable through the false ceiling. It's quite straight forward, no need to dismantle much stuffs. It's just tiring and messy. this is the best option imho
2. Jump ship to ST and Sign up the Singtel TV Go. Then buy a Chromecast and plug it in to your TV. Then stream the program using your phone. This one a bit waste $$ becos u will be paying for the STB rental, but u r not using it.
3. Use power line Ethernet. This is something I dun really recommend cos I have a lot of poor experience in the past using it. So YMMV.

For the record, i managed to DIY pull about 10 Ethernet cables all over my false ceiling. So it's possible to DIY. For your case, most likely u just need 1 afternoon to do it.

Last edited:

hybridz

Reaction score

I am in exactly the same situation, and when I asked Starhub for solutions, he just said I need to do trunking, and pay extra. That said, its all about additional costs. No mention of the coaxial option.

Long story short, I decided to cancel SH, and switched to M1. Sacrificed the cable TV, since I don't want to pay for their new set up box for fibre TV, and I have not watched TV for a very long time so no love lost for now.

ice_angel

Reaction score
You may want to ask your husband to check again to confirm there is no SCV point near the ONT. I asked this question because I was sort of in a similar situation.

I lived in a condo and the ONT point was in a storeroom. I was asking myself why the ONT point was in the storeroom and it occurred to me that it is the closest area to outside the house. So if the ONT point goes in from there it is likely that the SCV cable also came into the house via the same route. I lived in the house for 5 years and I did not noticed that hidden in one of the top corner of the storeroom was a unremarkable box (10cm x 10cm) mounted on the wall. I have no idea what was inside the box. I opened it up and found the SCV point. So in my case the SCV point was kept out of sight.

With the ONT and SCV point inside the same storeroom I was able to adopt the EOCC solution from Starhub. It worked out well for me. I got everything set up last week.

Thanks for the tips. I also checked my store room last night and also found a grey color 20 x 10 cm box at the top corner beside my power switch box. We did not open it but hubby said it could be SCV point or a SCV splitter. But the thing is, the box is still quite far away from the ONT, probably 4-5 meters away, but at least they can be connected through wire without going through my false ceiling!! I messaged Starhub through FB and hope then can send a technician to come to my place to confirm...

ice_angel

Reaction score
One possibility is to switch to SingTel Family Favorite pack which I am a subscriber. It has the channels you want.

http://singteltv.com.sg/price-plan.html?q=starter-packs&p=family-favourites

Take note you do not need to subscribe to SingTel Fibre for this and it does support Wireless. SingTel provided Wireless Home Bridge should work for you. You can pm the SingTel representative here. They do monitor this thread.

And if you switch to SingTel for both Fibre Broadband and SingTel TV, they may have better offer for you.

hmm.. we did check out Singtel TV channel last night. It is tempting.. then it occurs to me that elderly in my house will watch CCTV 4 and Phoenix channel (凤凰台).. Singtel does have CCTV 4 but I can't find Phoenix channels..

So this will be my backup.. if everything doesn't work out with Starhub, I probably will switch to Singtel..

ice_angel

Reaction score
You have several options.
1. Pull an Ethernet cable through the false ceiling. It's quite straight forward, no need to dismantle much stuffs. It's just tiring and messy. this is the best option imho
2. Jump ship to ST and Sign up the Singtel TV Go. Then buy a Chromecast and plug it in to your TV. Then stream the program using your phone. This one a bit waste $$ becos u will be paying for the STB rental, but u r not using it.
3. Use power line Ethernet. This is something I dun really recommend cos I have a lot of poor experience in the past using it. So YMMV.

For the record, i managed to DIY pull about 10 Ethernet cables all over my false ceiling. So it's possible to DIY. For your case, most likely u just need 1 afternoon to do it.

wah.. 10 Ethernet cables!!! salute you...
My living room false ceiling is a bit complicated, got different portions, some enclosed, some exposed (the only thing in the house that is designed by ID and not be me). It may be too troublesome for me do cater this and think about how to hide the wires.. so I probably won't do the false ceiling solution.. Thanks for the advise still. ;)

ice_angel

Reaction score
I am in exactly the same situation, and when I asked Starhub for solutions, he just said I need to do trunking, and pay extra. That said, its all about additional costs. No mention of the coaxial option.

Long story short, I decided to cancel SH, and switched to M1. Sacrificed the cable TV, since I don't want to pay for their new set up box for fibre TV, and I have not watched TV for a very long time so no love lost for now.

I also seldm watch TV.. It is more of a habit thing to me bah.. to have normal TV channel at home.. :s13: but my family here and there will watch.. so still try to keep it if it is not too much troublesome...

ice_angel

Reaction score
Anyway, thanks for the reminder of one of the forumers, I checked my store room last night and found a grey color 20 x 10 cm box at the top corner beside my power switch box. We did not open it but hubby said it could be SCV point or a SCV splitter. The box is still quite far away from the ONT, probably 4-5 meters away, but at least they can be connected through wire without going through my false ceiling!!

And my ONT is near to power sockets, so I will try to call Starhub hotline to see if they can send a technician up to check whether I can use the EOC solution.

(One of my colleagues mentioned Starhub sent someone to his house to do survey on Fiber TV and check on the spot whether they can install Fiber TV. He said I can request Starhub to send someone to 'survey'. First time FOC.)

Finger crossed~~

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Don't have to keep your fingers crossed. You are following my script exactly. You can contact Starhub and you get nothing out from them. Want them to send a technician down? Prepare to pay money. Hundred plus.

You just follow my script now.

1. Open the box and confirm that it is a cable splitter. If yes you are in business.
2. Sign a contract with Starhub and inform them you need the EOCC solution. 4 or 5 metre from the ONT is fine.
3. You need two power point in the storeroom. One for the Starhub setup box and another for the EOCC modem (I call this the master EOCC). Get a power extension cord if necessary.
4. No additional power point at the TV set. The new setup box will replace your existing setup box (I assume you have that now). No additional power point is required for the second EOCC modem at the TV side (I call this the slave). It will use USB cable to draw power from the setup box. I am not sure why the master EOCC needs it's own power source while the slave EOCC can draw power from USB port.
4. Technician will come on the appointment day and set up everything.

Like you I don't use the TV. It is for my parent. Older folks only know how to press channel. I took the $29.90 which have the Asia Entertainment package. I signed two years contract and thus get the setup box and EOCC modem for free for the duration of the contract.

Like you I do not want to lay lan cable through the house because I intend to sell the condo next year. EOCC is the solution for me. By the way EOCC is only for one connection point. If you need cable tv in other part of your house you will need to get more EOCC slaves IIRC.

Not worth to pay hundred plus just to confirm Point 1. A screwdriver will save you money.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder of one of the forumers, I checked my store room last night and found a grey color 20 x 10 cm box at the top corner beside my power switch box. We did not open it but hubby said it could be SCV point or a SCV splitter. The box is still quite far away from the ONT, probably 4-5 meters away, but at least they can be connected through wire without going through my false ceiling!!

And my ONT is near to power sockets, so I will try to call Starhub hotline to see if they can send a technician up to check whether I can use the EOC solution.

(One of my colleagues mentioned Starhub sent someone to his house to do survey on Fiber TV and check on the spot whether they can install Fiber TV. He said I can request Starhub to send someone to 'survey'. First time FOC.)

Finger crossed~~

Last edited:

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Heard on the radio SingTel has a migration offer for starhub cable. Anybody got any details?

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm.. we did check out Singtel TV channel last night. It is tempting.. then it occurs to me that elderly in my house will watch CCTV 4 and Phoenix channel (凤凰台).. Singtel does have CCTV 4 but I can't find Phoenix channels..

So this will be my backup.. if everything doesn't work out with Starhub, I probably will switch to Singtel..

Have the same requirement (Phoenix) . Other than SH, ST & M1 both don have ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.