Home Automation Enthusiasts

mazduh

Reaction score
I don't use DUO. Anyway the front cam is permanently switched off via the toggle switch.

Side-note: The Mandarin ability for Google Home disappeared one morning. Now it only understands English.
Where did you get the Lenovo smart display?

Sent from Flux Capacitor using GAGT

zoneguard

Reaction score
How do you like it? Useful? I've been itchy to buy but not really sure if genuinely that useful

Are we comparing with smart speakers like Google Home Mini / Amazon Echo or other smart displays like Amazon Echo Show?

I am using the smart display with Home Assistant and already have integration with the rest of my HA sensors/devices. BTW I also have Echo Input in my HA system - in fact I paired the Echo Input to use the 10W speakers of the Lenovo. For me, it is the visual feedback on voice recognition, the Google Photo displays and yet another user interface to control the home. Netflix support is unclear at the moment

I bought it on an Amazon deal and prior to the announcement of Google Nest Hub so that may influence purchase decisions. BTW I notice there are frequent deals on Lenovo Smart Displays by either Amazon or Lenovo or other US merchants so if you are out to get one, you may want to wait a bit.

tian800

Reaction score
Just trying to do a quick survey here. Which setup do you guys normally use.

1) smart switch + dumb light
2) dumb switch + smart light
3) smart switch + smart light

Please share your experiences, I'm still trying to decide which setup to go for. Thanks!!!

pustefix

Reaction score

Please share your experiences, I'm still trying to decide which setup to go for. Thanks!!!

I've smart switch + dumb light & wireless switch + smart light. Smart light need to have power on all the time, if someone switch off at the dumb switch, automation will not work. From my experience, I prefer smart light over smart switch because (i) smart light can dim and change color temp (ii) my smart light works more reliably for automation than smart switch.

233mmx

Reaction score
some good reading about robot vacuums and what kind of navigation system they are using

good to have 1 in your HA setup with routines setup for cleaning

Last edited:

zoneguard

Reaction score

Is your place new and you have yet to renovate?

I've stayed in my place for more than 10 years so the home automation was retrofitted into existing fixtures so the majority are of option 1. The latest additions are a mixture of options 2 (the dumb light is not dimmable/colour changeable and just installed with Shelly 1 relay to make it smart) and 3. (wireless switches from Xiaomi and Ikea). I had to deal with the constraints of the existing fixtures for example I had 2 architrave switches that were not possible to replace. As I was already staying there and the false ceilings couldn't be touched due to WAF reasons.

Whatever your choice, install neutral wiring at the switches so you have flexibility later on. Anyway it is likely your needs are different as everyone has different requirements/budget so you have to consider your own use cases carefully.

Superbigfatdaddy

Reaction score
Newbie question,

Is there home automation that intranet only (home network based, no internet needed)? Is it easily setup for tablet (android preferably) ?

Other than lighting? What other useful automation do u guys set your system for?

Been interested doing automation, but if it is internet connected I'm worried about safety especially if using automated lock. Please share your setup usage

Yes you can setup your house automation using your house intranet. I'm doing mine with my house WiFi, but it's not linked to the Internet.

tian800

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I've smart switch + dumb light & wireless switch + smart light. Smart light need to have power on all the time, if someone switch off at the dumb switch, automation will not work. From my experience, I prefer smart light over smart switch because (i) smart light can dim and change color temp (ii) my smart light works more reliably for automation than smart switch.

Is your place new and you have yet to renovate?

I've stayed in my place for more than 10 years so the home automation was retrofitted into existing fixtures so the majority are of option 1. The latest additions are a mixture of options 2 (the dumb light is not dimmable/colour changeable and just installed with Shelly 1 relay to make it smart) and 3. (wireless switches from Xiaomi and Ikea). I had to deal with the constraints of the existing fixtures for example I had 2 architrave switches that were not possible to replace. As I was already staying there and the false ceilings couldn't be touched due to WAF reasons.

Whatever your choice, install neutral wiring at the switches so you have flexibility later on. Anyway it is likely your needs are different as everyone has different requirements/budget so you have to consider your own use cases carefully.

zhihao57

Reaction score

Option 3!, most flexible option of all, but most costly :/.

zhihao57

Reaction score
I'm thinking of entering home assistant, currently have mihome setup at home with yeelights and aqara switch/sensors etc, however with the sensors, there seems to be a delay sometime, maybe because of the china server i guess?

Is it difficult to transfer all to home assistant? Any particular guide to follow?
https://www.home-assistant.io/

Will be getting the raspberry thingy soon, just needed to confirm and wanna know what i'm getting into. Are all the xiaomi stuff supported? or only selected :s22:

What are the risks? Are there any risks?

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
Because not all lights (limited selection) can be smarten, I'd suggest to go with all smart switches first, and you can add smart light later..

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
I'm thinking of entering home assistant, currently have mihome setup at home with yeelights and aqara switch/sensors etc, however with the sensors, there seems to be a delay sometime, maybe because of the china server i guess?

Is it difficult to transfer all to home assistant? Any particular guide to follow?

Will be getting the raspberry thingy soon, just needed to confirm and wanna know what i'm getting into. Are all the xiaomi stuff supported? or only selected :s22:

1. See the components page for supported devices
2. Must be comfortable with Linux
3. Must be comfortable with debugging problems and HASS breaking change.
4. When HASS YAML automation cannot provide the complex automation, then you need Python scripting to get what you need.
5. For RPi, get a good SD card, back up configuration regularly and be prepared to restore, when necessary. Massive write and power outage can kill/corrupt the SD card.

pustefix

Reaction score

1. Follow https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/ to install.
2. Once hassio is up, follow https://www.home-assistant.io/components/xiaomi_aqara/ to setup Xiaomi gateway. For yeelight, follow https://www.home-assistant.io/components/yeelight/.
3. Restart the Pi and your switches/bulbs/sensors will be auto discovered. Play with the UI to know where are the discovered devices.
4. Write automation.

If your gateway is the Aqara version, then it is not supported in HA, read the link above. It is also a good idea to stop firmware update on these devices.

zoneguard

Reaction score
3. Must be comfortable with debugging problems and HASS breaking change.
4. When HASS YAML automation cannot provide the complex automation, then you need Python scripting to get what you need.

There are ways around these:
1. Use Node-RED if you don't like Jinja2 templating used in HA and prefer visual way of doing things. More importantly there are tons of examples to copy and paste from and no need to reinvent the YAML wheel. Plenty of videos to watch for HA as well.

2. No need to keep updated to the latest HA version, go to the HA forums and find out if there are breaking changes before updating.

Finally some people here advocate and use OpenHAB which is an alternative to HA.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the latest 32bit hassio image working on the pi 3b+? I've been flashing my sdcard a few times but it doesn't boot completely =(

My sd card boots fine when I image the rasbian lite and ran node red...
tried 2 cards same problem..

tian800

Reaction score
I think I will get the Philips Hue lightstrip as I want to use it also as part of my main lighting, not only as an ambiance light, since they have the highest lumen at 1600 that I can find so far.

Just wanted to check with you guys before I pull the trigger. I understand we can't use the Hue bulbs because they are using different voltage and lamp base compared to what we used here. But can we buy the Hue lightstrip and Bridge on US Amazon and use it here? Do we have an issue on the different voltages and frequencies? Has anyone buy from the Hue lightings from US Amazon before?

pustefix

Reaction score
I think I will get the Philips Hue lightstrip as I want to use it also as part of my main lighting, not only as an ambiance light, since they have the highest lumen at 1600 that I can find so far.

Just wanted to check with you guys before I pull the trigger. I understand we can't use the Hue bulbs because they are using different voltage and lamp base compared to what we used here. But can we buy the Hue lightstrip and Bridge on US Amazon and use it here? Do we have an issue on the different voltages and frequencies? Has anyone buy from the Hue lightings from US Amazon before?

I don't understand, Hue has local products so you can just buy it from store like Best/Challenger or online stores. You might also want to consider Yeelight, the strip is less than half the cost of Hue. A comparison review between Hue and Yeelight, https://qanvast.com/sg/articles/philips-hue-or-yeelight-which-smart-led-light-shines-best-1734.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.