Wechat wallet

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Just to share my experience.
For travelling around, DIDI is still the best. And yes, you can link your local SG credit card. Basically each fare is deducts automatically from yr CC. Using my POSB Everyday card w/o any problems.

For WePay... sigh. Last year had local CN friends who could transfer RMB to my wallet, but that all stopped. There is no way I know to add more $$$. I can send $$$ but cannot receive.

Currently in Beijing now. No worries as cash is still mostly accepted. Cept you do occasionally get weird looks when u wanna take out cash. Cos honestly speaking, with WePay... it’s amazingly easy. I survived last years trip entirely w/o using cash.

PhilChew

Reaction score
This may not be the right forum but my Wechat account has been locked due to suspicious activity and need to have a friend's verification to help unblock my account. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

SibehHL

Reaction score
The Friend you need should be in your WeChat circle of friends and not us strangers

This may not be the right forum but my Wechat account has been locked due to suspicious activity and need to have a friend's verification to help unblock my account. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

PhilChew

Reaction score
Thanks. I am new to WeChat. I don't know of friends that have WeChat. So any help I can get is very much appreciated.

SibehHL

Reaction score
I am saying the verification can only be performed by someone who is ALREADY your friend.

If Your account is frozen now, you cannot add new friends.

Thanks. I am new to WeChat. I don't know of friends that have WeChat. So any help I can get is very much appreciated.

tattoo colour

Reaction score
All in all, for new sign-up of WeChat Wallet account, it is kind of useless now even if you add a Singapore credit card to verify your identity, the Singapore card is not valid as a payment method, you are not able to top up the ballance either (previous loophole of using QR code to receive money was plugged iin 2019).

I have three wechat wallet account, all linked to the same Singapore credit card (OCBC Master card), only my main account which was created in 2013 (credit card info added in 2017) is fully functional now and I have RMB2500 inside. Two created in 2018 are kind of useless (was able to top up using QR code, tested and top up RMB100 and RMB10 respectively, but no longer working now), one left RMB65 and one left RMB5 so I just keep them that way.

And I have also created an Alipay account linked to a China SIM card as an experiment, I used QR code to receive RMB10 from my relative and now the money is floating in the air -- out of his account but pending in my account -- because my account can not be verified without a China bank card. Anyway, that is just an S$2 experiment.

Hi xiaofan, may i know can others send you wechat hong bao (红宝)? i myself also don't have a China bank card but finding a way to add RMB into my wechat wallet so that i can pay for QQ 绿钻豪华版, currently i am using 3rd party to pay for me. :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan, may i know can others send you wechat hong bao (红宝)? i myself also don't have a China bank card but finding a way to add RMB into my wechat wallet so that i can pay for QQ 绿钻豪华版, currently i am using 3rd party to pay for me. :)

Yes I am lucky that my main wechat pay account is still working and I can still receive 红包. But I know this may stop working any time since I do not have a mainland bank card.

Using 3rd party to pay is a good alternative.

But for QQ Music 绿钻豪华版, there is an easier way if you have an iOS device. Just pay using the Apple App Store in-app purchase. That was what I did last time when I paid one month QQ Music 付费音乐包 using my iPhone 6S. Later I got the Android phone and then use my wechat account to pay for one year of the 绿钻豪华版.

tattoo colour

Reaction score
Yes I am lucky that my main wechat pay account is still working and I can still receive 红包. But I know this may stop working any time since I do not have a mainland bank card.

Using 3rd party to pay is a good alternative.

But for QQ Music 绿钻豪华版, there is an easier way if you have an iOS device. Just pay using the Apple App Store in-app purchase. That was what I did last time when I paid one month QQ Music 付费音乐包 using my iPhone 6S. Later I got the Android phone and then use my wechat account to pay for one year of the 绿钻豪华版.

Alamak..i am using Android phone this year, that is why i was thinking if after i added my credit card and then ask my china friend to send me 红包 so that i can use it to pay 绿钻豪华版. Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All Visa/Master cards should be okay. I am using a OCBC MasterCard myself.

The article has detailed instructions. Try it.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/beijing/zhongguancun/2019-01/09/content_37425026.htm

How can foreigners use WeChat Pay?

Currently, the second type of WeChat Pay only supports consumption, and cannot be used for general transfer and sending red envelopes. However, it can be used for making payments to store owners through the static barcode posted in the stores (note: not street vendors, rather those WeChat Partners listed in the wechat app).

WeChat Pay currently only supports overseas credit cards. You need to verify the card number, expiration date, CVN2, and American and Canadian users need to verify the billing address while binding. Then you will receive a SMS verification code on the phone number you just filled in. After verification, you need to create a 6-digit payment password before you can use the services.

I just came across this thread. So going by this news, can I assume that once my Citibank visa has been verified, I can immediately use WeChat to pay if I go to China next week?

Apologies for this newbie question but the last time I was in CN was 5+ years back & cash & credit cards were still widely accepted then.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. So going by this news, can I assume that once my Citibank visa has been verified, I can immediately use WeChat to pay if I go to China next week?

Apologies for this newbie question but the last time I was in CN was 5+ years back & cash & credit cards were still widely accepted then.

Cash is still widely accepted. Foreign credit cards are accepted in certain places.

As for wechat pay, you will not be able to top up or pay street vendors. Only selected merchants accept this types of wechat pay linked to foreign credit card.

So in your case, bring enough cash.

Last edited:

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cash is still widely accepted. Foreign credit cards are accepted in certain places.

As for wechat pay, you will not be able to top us or pay street vendors. Only selected merchants accept this types of wechat pay linked to foreign credit card.

So in your case, bring enough cash.

Ok thanks a lot. So even if I open a RMB a/c in Bank of China & get a credit card there I guess it won’t work either right?

Beno777

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot. So even if I open a RMB a/c in Bank of China & get a credit card there I guess it won’t work either right?
May consider Bank of China Union Pay debit card. By banking in RMB in sg into account, u may use any BOC ATM in china to withdraw without addition charge. Can also use union pay for purchases as it is more widely accepted then VISA/MASTERS.

I opt for this option as carrying cash around in china is damn lek chek where by their biggest note is 100. So with the ATM card can jus withdraw on the go.

My 2rmb =)

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 using GAGT

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May consider Bank of China Union Pay debit card. By banking in RMB in sg into account, u may use any BOC ATM in china to withdraw without addition charge. Can also use union pay for purchases as it is more widely accepted then VISA/MASTERS.

I opt for this option as carrying cash around in china is damn lek chek where by their biggest note is 100. So with the ATM card can jus withdraw on the go.

My 2rmb =)

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 using GAGT

Ok thanks a lot. I’ll go to bank of China & open a/c & ask more questions there then.

ixora2007

Reaction score
Ok I just found out that we can use Alipay in China linked to our Singapore credit cards. So no need the headaches associated with WeChat. This article shows how to do it:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/articles/smsh/yes-foreigners-can-use-alipay-this-is-how

I’ll test in S’pore 1st. If ok, then should work in China. I’ve already successfully added my Visa card to Alipay.

From the link, "You can add foreign debit and credit cards here too, but to add funds into your Alipay balance you’ll need to add the Chinese one first."

Does it mean I still need to apply for a Bank of China credit card and open RMB acct? If so, then I dont need to add my SG credit card as I can link the Alipay to the BOC acct? Is my understanding correct?

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the link, "You can add foreign debit and credit cards here too, but to add funds into your Alipay balance you’ll need to add the Chinese one first."

Does it mean I still need to apply for a Bank of China credit card and open RMB acct? If so, then I dont need to add my SG credit card as I can link the Alipay to the BOC acct? Is my understanding correct?

Seems like it. I’m gonna open a RMB a/c in BOC & get their Union Pay debit card & add it onto my Alipay as a backup.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I just found out that we can use Alipay in China linked to our Singapore credit cards. So no need the headaches associated with WeChat. This article shows how to do it:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/articles/smsh/yes-foreigners-can-use-alipay-this-is-how

I’ll test in S’pore 1st. If ok, then should work in China. I’ve already successfully added my Visa card to Alipay.

Forget about it. It will not work for you if you do not have a mainland China bank card.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Forget about it. It will not work for you if you do not have a mainland China bank card.

But my Visa card was readily accepted & I’ve also got my QR code now.

If cannot use in China, there should be a prompt saying I need a mainland China card right?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But my Visa card was readily accepted & I’ve also got my QR code now.

If cannot use in China, there should be a prompt saying I need a mainland China card right?

Just try it -- ask your friend with proper Alipay account to send you RMB1 to see if you can receive it or not. The app will prompt you then to add a mainland China bank card. Anyway that was my experience with Alipay. So I gave up on Alipay.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.