Home Automation Enthusiasts

zoneguard

Reaction score
I think I will get the Philips Hue lightstrip as I want to use it also as part of my main lighting, not only as an ambiance light, since they have the highest lumen at 1600 that I can find so far.

1. Have you finalized the protocol? Zigbee? If you intend to add sensors later on, you'll need to think about the hub/protocol.
2. Have you looked at Yeelight which is Wifi based? Some folks here have good comments on the brightness.
3. There's a cheaper Zigbee based light brand - Glepopto but you'll need to find matching LED strips. It is compatible with Hue.
4. I use these BlitzWolf BW-LT11 myself and they are Wifi based and from Tuya ecosystem.

Last edited:

tian800

Reaction score
Because I saw on US Amazon they only selling at USD 54.50, whereas in SG, I see selling ~S$120. Quite big difference leh. Or am I missing out something?

I did research on Yeelight, but their lumen is only 400lm when I checked with their official store from Tmall. Their staffs also advise me not to use as main light, only for ambiance light. For Philips Hue lightstrip, they have lumen of 1600lm, which is 4x brighter than Yeelight.

I don't understand, Hue has local products so you can just buy it from store like Best/Challenger or online stores. You might also want to consider Yeelight, the strip is less than half the cost of Hue. A comparison review between Hue and Yeelight, https://qanvast.com/sg/articles/philips-hue-or-yeelight-which-smart-led-light-shines-best-1734.

tian800

Reaction score
I have not yet finalised the protocol, but I foresee than I might be buying most from Xiaomi ecosystem due to their price. But the lightstrip from Yeelight is too low in lumen for me to use as main lighting. I saw the good comments on the brightness of Yeelight here, but if I remember correctly they are referring to the Yeelight lightbulb, not lightstrip. True enough, bulbs from Philips Hue and Yeelight are the same at 800lm.

Did a brief search on the Gledopto lightstrip, can't find any info on its lux level. I will do a detail search when I get home.

Saw the Blitzwolf light strip that you shared. Is it bright enough for you to use as main lighting? Or only can use for ambiance lighting?
For Tuya ecosystem, normally people will use Tuya app or Smart Lift app? Any difference between the 2 apps? I'm also interested to try out the Tuya ecosystem other than Xiaomi.

1. Have you finalized the protocol? Zigbee? If you intend to add sensors later on, you'll need to think about the hub/protocol.
2. Have you looked at Yeelight which is Wifi based? Some folks here have good comments on the brightness.
3. There's a cheaper Zigbee based light brand - Glepopto but you'll need to find matching LED strips. It is compatible with Hue.
4. I use these BlitzWolf BW-LT11 myself and they are Wifi based and from Tuya ecosystem.

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
Yes. The US Philips Hue Lightstrip and bridge are OK to use in SG.

It uses Zigbee (ZLL) and is compatible with most popular hubs (e.g. Samsung SmartThings) that supports Zigbee ZLL/ZHA profile.

Compose

Reaction score
Because I saw on US Amazon they only selling at USD 54.50, whereas in SG, I see selling ~S$120. Quite big difference leh. Or am I missing out something?

I did research on Yeelight, but their lumen is only 400lm when I checked with their official store from Tmall. Their staffs also advise me not to use as main light, only for ambiance light. For Philips Hue lightstrip, they have lumen of 1600lm, which is 4x brighter than Yeelight.

Suggest that you go pay a visit at one of http://www.lightings.com.sg/ physical outlets. They were running two Philips Hue promotion back to back in Apr & May 2019 where the Philips Hue downlight was at a promotion price of $65.5 compared to $99 (RRP) in April 2019. The Hue starter pack, LED strips, hub, Hue bulbs etc were also on promotion but I can't remember how much but I saved quite a bit from the promotion.

zoneguard

Reaction score
Did a brief search on the Gledopto lightstrip, can't find any info on its lux level. I will do a detail search when I get home.

Saw the Blitzwolf light strip that you shared. Is it bright enough for you to use as main lighting? Or only can use for ambiance lighting?
For Tuya ecosystem, normally people will use Tuya app or Smart Lift app? Any difference between the 2 apps? I'm also interested to try out the Tuya ecosystem other than Xiaomi.

1. Gledopto only has LED controller or bulbs, you need to buy power supply and LED strip separately if you choose this route.

2. I don't use both Tuya apps. I flashed all my Tuya based devices with Tasmota and control through HA using MQTT.

Windowlover

Reaction score
Look for a digital lock with mechanical keys type for elderly... Beside Keywe,, any model recommendation.. Looking for one with finger scan features and override keys preference.

sann.tiro

Reaction score
Hi All, for those using August Smart Lock Pro on your wooden door. What lock do you use for your metal gate?

SingletKoyak

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a total noob at this but I am thinking of setting up home automation with Alexa. My plan is as below:

5-room bto
Living room - echo plus
Kitchen & 3 bedrooms - echo dot

Devices:
Smart TV, soundbar & set top box
Aircon
Standing fan
Robot vacuum
Door lock
Lights
Motorized curtains

Here's the question. What do I need in order to connect those devices to Alexa? E.g standing fan require a smart plug.

Any tips, advice & suggestions for an optimal home automation based on the devices above?

Thank you. Looking forward to learn from the pros here.

deep3lue

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this thread and there are so many post so please pardon me if this has been asked before but I would like to know if there is an easy HomeKit solution to replace those power switches for ceiling fans (currently using Fanztec brand) in old HDB houses?

What I am informed was that old HDB houses cannot use those new modular flushed HomeKit enabled power switches which can be used to control fan speed and light dimming. If that is the case, is there anyone here who knows how to replace those boxed up power switches in old HDB flats?

singcheng

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a total noob at this but I am thinking of setting up home automation with Alexa. My plan is as below:

5-room bto
Living room - echo plus
Kitchen & 3 bedrooms - echo dot

Devices:
Smart TV, soundbar & set top box
Aircon
Standing fan
Robot vacuum
Door lock
Lights
Motorized curtains

Here's the question. What do I need in order to connect those devices to Alexa? E.g standing fan require a smart plug.

Any tips, advice & suggestions for an optimal home automation based on the devices above?

Thank you. Looking forward to learn from the pros here.

Since it is a BTO, you can consider to install Neutral wire (talk to your ID) at all light switches location so that you could install wifi light switch later on.
If you have ceiling fan, then suggest you to get RF type instead of IR.
For stand fan, will it be IR controllable or just dumb stand fan? Regardless, you need a smart plug to on/off it.
You can get Romba or other smart vacuum robot to work with Alexa.

To connect the above, if they are wifi enabled (such as wifi smart light switches), you just need your router.
Else, most likely you need a hub such as echo plus for zigbee devices but be aware of different zigbee frequencies in different countries.

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.

singcheng

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this thread and there are so many post so please pardon me if this has been asked before but I would like to know if there is an easy HomeKit solution to replace those power switches for ceiling fans (currently using Fanztec brand) in old HDB houses?

What I am informed was that old HDB houses cannot use those new modular flushed HomeKit enabled power switches which can be used to control fan speed and light dimming. If that is the case, is there anyone here who knows how to replace those boxed up power switches in old HDB flats?

Do you have those three pin wall plug next to your fan/ light switch? Like below

cjd0ptb.jpg

Superbigfatdaddy

Reaction score

Is your current fan power switch stand alone(1 gang)? Or those with knob that can be turned?

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
To connect the above, if they are wifi enabled (such as wifi smart light switches), you just need your router.
Else, most likely you need a hub such as echo plus for zigbee devices but be aware of different zigbee frequencies in different countries.

I believe you are referring to Z-wave frequency which is different in various parts of the world.

There is only 1 frequency for Zigbee (however, can have different profiles).

porker997

Reaction score
I just got the google home nest. The local version appears overpriced but it was an impulse buy and I try to avoid adapters if I can.

Just read amazon launch the new echo....sigh.

Anyway, took advantaged of the Philip hue sale recently and got myself some kits.

Superbigfatdaddy

Reaction score
The power switches at my place is this kind and some room have only one switch and some a few like 2 to 3:
K8pFYBy.jpg

If its the knob type, then most definitely will be without neutral.

In any case, if you want to have your power switched flushed while your existing is protruded, hacking will be required. But your cable conduit is also exposed, so I dun see the point of getting it flushed.

There are actually WiFi light switch that do not require neutral cable, but based on some feedback, it's not very reliable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.