AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
Hi guys, my Aftershock S15 is having issues with it's motherboard and i am quoted $960 for the repair. Wanna get ur guys opinion whether i should go ahead with the repair or should i just get a new laptop instead?

wow 960 just for the mobo

what's ur s15 specs?

chiaRH

Reaction score
Hi guys, my Aftershock S15 is having issues with it's motherboard and i am quoted $960 for the repair. Wanna get ur guys opinion whether i should go ahead with the repair or should i just get a new laptop instead?

if the S15 already meets your needs (i.e. can run your current newest games) and you don't see the need to upgrade and just wanna use the machine for as long as possible, I think just repairing the laptop is fine, especially if every other component is still working ok.

cos frankly imo the current rate of improvements are also slowing. My S17 came from 2016 (pascal architecture) and this year in 2019 nvidia has only moved forward by 1 generation (turing) with no tremendous improvements while the current intel CPU is still on 14nm like my old skylake

chaud@sg

Reaction score
wow 960 just for the mobo

what's ur s15 specs?
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor
Graphics Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5 Graphics
Display (S-15) : 15.6" FHD (1920X1080) IPS Matte Display with Wide color Gamut with NVIDIA GSYNC 
8GB DDR4 Ram

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
if the S15 already meets your needs (i.e. can run your current newest games) and you don't see the need to upgrade and just wanna use the machine for as long as possible, I think just repairing the laptop is fine, especially if every other component is still working ok.

cos frankly imo the current rate of improvements are also slowing. My S17 came from 2016 (pascal architecture) and this year in 2019 nvidia has only moved forward by 1 generation (turing) with no tremendous improvements while the current intel CPU is still on 14nm like my old skylake

but even the new gtx 1650 is better than 970M leh

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/m17319vs4039

u can get 9th gen i5/gtx 1650(3gb)/8gb ram/256+1TB for about 1k...i think not worth to spend 960 just for the repair leh

but that's just my 2cents la

Avolution

Reaction score
Is your S15 with a GTX 1070 or GTX 970m?

If it's the 10 series then I think it's still worth the repair.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor
Graphics Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5 Graphics
Display (S-15) : 15.6" FHD (1920X1080) IPS Matte Display with Wide color Gamut with NVIDIA GSYNC*
8GB DDR4 Ram

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

Yea in that case the 970M alone makes it worth it to upgrade to a new model. The best part is, the current state of the art is the 20 series GPU so not only are you getting pascal generation, you're getting pascal that has undergone one generation worth of improvement compared to the 10 series that came out in 2016.

Cos from maxwell to pascal was a huge jump, thats why when 10 series came out, laptop GPUs even share the same model number as their desktop counterparts with no more M suffix.

narkizy

Reaction score
Yea in that case the 970M alone makes it worth it to upgrade to a new model. The best part is, the current state of the art is the 20 series GPU so not only are you getting pascal generation, you're getting pascal that has undergone one generation worth of improvement compared to the 10 series that came out in 2016.

Cos from maxwell to pascal was a huge jump, thats why when 10 series came out, laptop GPUs even share the same model number as their desktop counterparts with no more M suffix.
Except the laptop gpu variants are still downclocked to be much slower than their desktop counterparts to conserve temps.

Case in point: the laptop 2060 vs desktop 2060. https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-2060-Laptop-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-Desktop-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-Max-Q_9581_9556_9631.247598.0.html

Imo nvidia only changed the naming, but is still very conservative on giving juice to their laptop cards

Reaction score
Except the laptop gpu variants are still downclocked to be much slower than their desktop counterparts to conserve temps.

Imo nvidia only changed the naming, but is still very conservative on giving juice to their laptop cards

Well that only is applicable for the 1060/70/80 cards, but it's the GP107-based ones (1050/1050Ti/1050 3GB) that the Laptop Editions are made more powerful than the Desktop ones (higher clock frequency) due to a smaller die (14nm Samsung for GP107 VS 16nm TSMC for GP104/106). RTX on the other hand cramps a lot more silicon due to the die shrink (12nm TSMC).
Also, compared to the Maxwell 2 and earlier generations, the gap between the Desktop and Laptop Editions of the Pascal and Turing GPUs remain only on the clock frequency sections. Other portions of the GPU such as VRAM size and speed, bus bitrate and GPU Core counts all remain identical between the two.
I am wondering if the next generation (Ampere) made on 7nm Samsung would be better than the 14nm types in which both Desktop and Laptop variants would carry exact same specs due to a lower thermal footprint. Learning from Intel's Ice Lake CPUs of allegedly getting computing performance expected of a 65w part using a 15w chip.

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score

Case in point: the laptop 2060 vs desktop 2060. https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...e-RTX-2060-Max-Q_9581_9556_9631.247598.0.html

from what i heard the laptop-desktop gap was narrowest in pascal and widened again recently with turing (20 series)

turing's RTX or whatever extra other new stuff is probably too much things that arent yet optimised for laptops I think.

still going back to chaud@sg's point, upgrading from a 970 to even something like a 2060 or 2070 now beats spending 900 bucks to fix the motherboard imo, cos the performance jump is material enough. Unless they are ok with the 970 performance and have no desire to tackle current-gen high graphics titles.

Last edited:

Darrusgoh

Reaction score
Hi I'm interested in getting a new gaming laptop that can handle FFXV. My budget is 1.9k, after looking around I'm interested in the Apex 15 lite.

I wanted to get the 1660Ti variant but my friend told me to get the 1650 instead as the 1660Ti will be too hot and destroy the laptop.

Should I go for 1650 instead?

Reaction score
Hi I'm interested in getting a new gaming laptop that can handle FFXV. My budget is 1.9k, after looking around I'm interested in the Apex 15 lite.

I wanted to get the 1660Ti variant but my friend told me to get the 1650 instead as the 1660Ti will be too hot and destroy the laptop.

If GTX1660Ti can get too hot enough to destroy the laptop, wouldn't all the more expensive RTX-equipped APEX Series be combusting in flames right now?? 😅😆😂 /stupidquestion

Going back to FFXV, a laptop GTX1660Ti should not be unable to cope with FFXV. Desktop version of GTX1660Ti can run the game at around 73fps using FHD Ultra settings. The lesser-powered laptop counterpart should be able to cope at 65-68fps at same Ultra settings, dial down the graphics details to High for a few more fps. Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13973/nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-review-feat-evga-xc-gaming/9

Also, the number one reason why gaming laptops get way too hot is due to the lack of proper and regular maintenance, same applies to your home appliances too! If your laptop vendor provides regular maintenance FOC after you buy their laptops, USE IT, don't waste it.

chiaRH

Reaction score

If your friend can single out a specific GPU model on a specific laptop model ask them to refer you to whichever online review/etc came to that conclusion

it is frankly quite pointless to ask here cos unless someone coincidentally has a Apex with 1660 Ti you won't find the meaningful information here. If you really want to be sure of temps, try to contact aftershock about a demo unit at the showroom so you can observe it running a synthetic load to see how the temps fare, then you be the judge.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if i buy an aftershock laptop and connect to 1440p monitor 144hz, will there be any lag/delay?

GreggMQ

Reaction score
I would definitely buy a new one instead of reviving the old.
If you will not repair it completely - it will die again, and you will pay twice.

Reaction score
if i buy an aftershock laptop and connect to 1440p monitor 144hz, will there be any lag/delay?

Most of the Laptop discrete GPUs here should not have issues outputting to a 1440p (QHD) monitor via HDMI or miniDP port with any noticeable lag. Note that laptop hardware these past 2 years are largely more than capable of outputting to the primary display at 144Hz 1080p (FHD) including the value-end FORGE Series gaming laptops. So theoretically outputting to a QHD 144Hz should not be any issue.
Unless you're really talking about output to a QFHD (2160p 4K) display, which will need pretty high-end hardware to work without lag.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.