NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Nugeme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. Does anyone know the structure of the 5 mins lesson presentation and if any tool of presentation is allowed? Thank you!

Ohgeesh

Reaction score
That's interesting. Which subject did you had to prepare for?
Mine was Pri Eng. Like what the others had said, speak confidently during your presentation. Address the 'class' with a teacher's stature. Keep your content simple and straight to the point.

JSMHONG96

Reaction score
Hello to all. Does anyone know the structure of the 5 mins lesson presentation and if any tool of presentation is allowed? Thank you!

Did my interview in April and I printed out a poster with some simple diagrams. There’s whiteboard, markers and magnets available for you to use. You can’t use ICT tools eg. PowerPoint slides, showing videos etc.

My interview was short and simple, and the interviewers will roleplay as the “students”. I “taught” what I’ve prepared and asked my “students” to answer the question. The “students” answered my questions and did not challenge the class in any way. Heard that some of the “students” will do things to disrupt the lesson such as talking to each other, or asking questions about the content. So maybe you can prepare for scenarios like this and think about how you’ll react.

If possible, teach a topic which you’re interested in/have passion in. I was asked about why I choose the particular topic, and I had a long discussion on it with the interviewers.

All the best for your interview, and everyone else who’s reading this and preparing for interview too!

Nugeme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did my interview in April and I printed out a poster with some simple diagrams. There’s whiteboard, markers and magnets available for you to use. You can’t use ICT tools eg. PowerPoint slides, showing videos etc.

My interview was short and simple, and the interviewers will roleplay as the “students”. I “taught” what I’ve prepared and asked my “students” to answer the question. The “students” answered my questions and did not challenge the class in any way. Heard that some of the “students” will do things to disrupt the lesson such as talking to each other, or asking questions about the content. So maybe you can prepare for scenarios like this and think about how you’ll react.

If possible, teach a topic which you’re interested in/have passion in. I was asked about why I choose the particular topic, and I had a long discussion on it with the interviewers.

All the best for your interview, and everyone else who’s reading this and preparing for interview too!
Thanks for your sharing and advice! Are we allowed to prepare worksheets to give to students?

Gatherer

Reaction score
I just found out that I got rejected for my relief teaching application. Has anyone come across this before?

Mid careerist and graduated from NUS 7 years ago. I had wanted to apply for a full time position but thought that I should try relief teaching first. What should I do now?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

b4zabeat

Reaction score
I just found out that I got rejected for my relief teaching application. Has anyone come across this before?

Mid careerist and graduated from NUS 7 years ago. I had wanted to apply for a full time position but thought that I should try relief teaching first. What should I do now?

You can actually apply the PGDE on Career@Gov in Aug which is the full time position. If you successfully get offered, you will have a 1 year contract teaching starting in Dec, which is sort of like probation for you to try out and also for MOE to access your suitability. If at the end of contract teaching you do not wish to continue, it is ok because the bond only starts when you enter NIE for training.

For relief teaching, after you apply on the REMS portal and get approved, you need to go to schools to ask if they have vacancies. Rarely they will call you up. You can reapply for the relief teaching on 1 Jul under SRE in the REMS portal.

Loveteaching

Reaction score

U can try again. I'm a relief teacher in a school now.

poppyave

Reaction score
Thanks for your sharing and advice! Are we allowed to prepare worksheets to give to students?

you can prepare posters/flash cards etc but probably best not to give out worksheets. there isn't much time when it comes to the lesson presentation! :)

Gatherer

Reaction score
You can actually apply the PGDE on Career@Gov in Aug which is the full time position. If you successfully get offered, you will have a 1 year contract teaching starting in Dec, which is sort of like probation for you to try out and also for MOE to access your suitability. If at the end of contract teaching you do not wish to continue, it is ok because the bond only starts when you enter NIE for training.

For relief teaching, after you apply on the REMS portal and get approved, you need to go to schools to ask if they have vacancies. Rarely they will call you up. You can reapply for the relief teaching on 1 Jul under SRE in the REMS portal.
Thanks b4zabeat and Loveteaching. Called MOE and the CSO told me to apply again.

Will also apply the full time position in August. Was told that my rejection for the relief teaching application would have no bearing on the full time application.

jiajia343

Reaction score
I went for the interview at 1st July and I am thinking to reapply for teaching during the August round if I didn't get a reply after 4-5 weeks time. Have anyone tried applying again in the immediate round before? Or do I need to wait for a certain period of time before I can reapply for teaching again?

Can anyone advice me?

b4zabeat

Reaction score
I went for the interview at 1st July and I am thinking to reapply for teaching during the August round if I didn't get a reply after 4-5 weeks time. Have anyone tried applying again in the immediate round before? Or do I need to wait for a certain period of time before I can reapply for teaching again?

Can anyone advice me?

Recommended to wait for 6 months before reapplying again, because there is some sort of cooling off rule. Means it may be better to wait until next year Jan to reapply if you need to.

pinkorange01

Reaction score

Can anyone advice me?

yes best to wait for next round to apply again..but no harm just applying immediately also ah.i applied immediately after i failed my 1st attempt before. Was rejected without the interview opportunity. Applied the 3rd time then was given the opportunity to interview.

pinkorange01

Reaction score
hey i applied for primary sch eng.(1st subject). The 5mins presentation was mostly focused on classroom management. i didnt manage to complete the 'lesson' becos the interviewers pretended to be kids and kept interrupting the lesson. I think they just want to see if ur able to keep ur cool and how u manage children when there are interruptions. It wasnt content focused in my case. I prepared worksheets! :)

Nugeme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey i applied for primary sch eng.(1st subject). The 5mins presentation was mostly focused on classroom management. i didnt manage to complete the 'lesson' becos the interviewers pretended to be kids and kept interrupting the lesson. I think they just want to see if ur able to keep ur cool and how u manage children when there are interruptions. It wasnt content focused in my case. I prepared worksheets! :)
Thanks for sharing! How many interviewers were in the panel of interviewers? Did they ask you many questions pertaining to your lesson presentation later on?

pinkorange01

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! How many interviewers were in the panel of interviewers? Did they ask you many questions pertaining to your lesson presentation later on?
There were three!Not a lot of presentation related questions were asked. They only asked me which part of the presentation I thought I had done well in and which parts i thought i could have done better. and they also asked some questions pertaining to changes to the system and how i feel about it. So it wld be better to read up on the latest changes:) (esp if ur applying for pri sch cos quite a lot of changes) And also the basic why do u wanna teach, what kind of teacher do you want to be what are ur strengths..

Loveteaching

Reaction score

Can anyone advice me?

How was your interview? What subject you apply?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.