How to invest in USA/China index fund?

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
I am a simple, lowly educated grab edmw and totally new to investments. For a start, I want to put my life savings of 30k SGD into USA/China index funds. Can I ask whether 30k is enough to play?

Please explain to me like an idiot, including what accounts to set up.

May I know what are the basic steps involved and what are the fees to take note as I heard index fund are supposed to be low cost due to passive nature?

To invest in index fund, is there 2 ways only? ETF or mutual fund? What are things to take note?

To invest in china/USA, need to convert to foreign currency or are there derivatives that trade in sgd that track those index?

Anything to take note of regarding taxes if convert to foreign currency and invest in foreign index fund?

Should I go down to bank to educate myself more? If not, where else to get short course on how to invest in overseas index fund?

For China index fund, what are some of the big cap index fund, similar to USA Dow jones/S & P, etc?

PS. U can include recommendations on investment company to look for

Last edited:

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your first question is quite off. You can play with a much lesser amount. When you use the word play, I take it that you can afford to lose the 30k.
Have u filled out questionnaires or risk assessment questions about your risk appetite? Have you contemplate trading/investing on demo account before? What made you suddenly want to enter the market?

Sent from HMD Global TA-1004 using GAGT

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
Your first question is quite off. You can play with a much lesser amount. When you use the word play, I take it that you can afford to lose the 30k.
Have u filled out questionnaires or risk assessment questions about your risk appetite? Have you contemplate trading/investing on demo account before? What made you suddenly want to enter the market?

I don't mind holding onto it for 5 to 10 years

Index fund have 10 percent return average. That's why I feel it's safe if I can hold onto it

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't mind holding onto it for 5 to 10 years

Index fund have 10 percent return average. That's why I feel it's safe if I can hold onto it
Why do I feel that you are trolling...

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
Definitely not. That clown won't buy ETFs.

Anyway, happi3friend you may consider this plan first before going overseas.

Build a local portfolio and gain some confidence. Then you can venture overseas.

https://www.posb.com.sg/personal/investments/investing-in-funds/invest-saver

Read more from this thread during your kopi break.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/stocks-shares-indices-92/posb-invest-saver-4309151.html

Thank you. My issue with SGX is that it sucks. I prefer to invest in stock market where it's liquid and high growth, not SGX type where it's so boring.

USA and China big cap like dow Jones and s&p are my type of tea

I would like to head straight and invest overseas right away. That's why I wanna ask these questions.

Am I right that as long as the index go up, I will earn?

Thus I don't think I need to worry too much

PS I don't know who is this ervino and I am not him... Not here to argue with people but to seek advice

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I started with US market and frankly it’s much much much more stable and lucrative than sg or hk market for me. :o

I don’t understand what’s the point of starting from a poor liquidity market like ours.

Average

Banned
Reaction score
Hope newbies dun get the idea that US mkt sure huat. Now is at record highs.... If u buy now, wat if recession hits along the way... Bloody

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you. My issue with SGX is that it sucks. I prefer to invest in stock market where it's liquid and high growth, not SGX type where it's so boring.

USA and China big cap like dow Jones and s&p are my type of tea

I would like to head straight and invest overseas right away. That's why I wanna ask these questions.

Am I right that as long as the index go up, I will earn?

Thus I don't think I need to worry too much

PS I don't know who is this ervino and I am not him... Not here to argue with people but to seek advice

Before you learn to fly, maybe you should learn to run first?

Start with your local market. Then slowly move on to overseas once you get a feel of what it's like to invest.

The reason why I recommend the POSB IS is because there is a built mechanism to buy with little discipline and effort.

If you go US directly, you need to be more discipline in your approach.

starfish.starfish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a simple, lowly educated grab edmw and totally new to investments. For a start, I want to put my life savings of 30k SGD into USA/China index funds. Can I ask whether 30k is enough to play?

Please explain to me like an idiot, including what accounts to set up.

May I know what are the basic steps involved and what are the fees to take note as I heard index fund are supposed to be low cost due to passive nature?

To invest in index fund, is there 2 ways only? ETF or mutual fund? What are things to take note?

To invest in china/USA, need to convert to foreign currency or are there derivatives that trade in sgd that track those index?

Anything to take note of regarding taxes if convert to foreign currency and invest in foreign index fund?

Should I go down to bank to educate myself more? If not, where else to get short course on how to invest in overseas index fund?

For China index fund, what are some of the big cap index fund, similar to USA Dow jones/S & P, etc?

PS. U can include recommendations on investment company to look for

There’s nothing much to “play” for index fund.
You just buy and... that’s it.

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope newbies dun get the idea that US mkt sure huat. Now is at record highs.... If u buy now, wat if recession hits along the way... Bloody
I tot so 4 yrs ago. just buy around biz but dun overpay

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
I started with US market and frankly it’s much much much more stable and lucrative than sg or hk market for me. :o

I don’t understand what’s the point of starting from a poor liquidity market like ours.

Hi Perisher, thats what I am looking for.

Are you able to teach a total newb what he needs to do in order to play US/China index fund market? What accounts do I need to set up? Things to take note

Taxes, currency, all the questions in my first post...

There’s nothing much to “play” for index fund.
You just buy and... that’s it.

Yes, I am not asking how to "play" index fund. How do you start buying overseas index fund?

Should I go down to a bank and ask?

Who should I ask to answer all my questions? I never play stocks before

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Perisher, thats what I am looking for.

Are you able to teach a total newb what he needs to do in order to play US/China index fund market? What accounts do I need to set up? Things to take note

Taxes, currency, all the questions in my first post...

Yes, I am not asking how to "play" index fund. How do you start buying overseas index fund?

Should I go down to a bank and ask?

Who should I ask to answer all my questions? I never play stocks before

The complicated route is through IB but that’s also the best.

The simplest one is through scb online brokerage, what you do is go to a scb brokerage branch, tell them you wanna trade online in US market. They will help you with the paperwork. There will be a CAR test iirc. It’s just unlimited try at some mcq questions.

If you are serious, go read up the IB and SCB online brokerage threads. The information is all there.

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
The complicated route is through IB but that’s also the best.

The simplest one is through scb online brokerage, what you do is go to a scb brokerage branch, tell them you wanna trade online in US market. They will help you with the paperwork. There will be a CAR test iirc. It’s just unlimited try at some mcq questions.

If you are serious, go read up the IB and SCB online brokerage threads. The information is all there.

IB=interactive broker?
SCB=standard chartered brokerage?

Okay, I think I might start with SCB with a view to Ib as able to ask the staff questions.
Able to explain what's complicated and why is it the best for IB?

Yup, I'm serious. I treat this 30k as my retirement savings so I can hold very long without needing it. And I think equities give decent returns compared to FD long term hence that's why I wan play stocks.

And index fund is very safe if can hold.

Thanks alot mate =)

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
IB=interactive broker?
SCB=standard chartered brokerage?

Okay, I think I might start with SCB with a view to Ib as able to ask the staff questions.
Able to explain what's complicated and why is it the best for IB?

Yup, I'm serious. I treat this 30k as my retirement savings so I can hold very long without needing it. And I think equities give decent returns compared to FD long term hence that's why I wan play stocks.

And index fund is very safe if can hold.

Thanks alot mate =)

Yes, those 2.

There are 2 threads about those two brokerage. If you are serious, go read it. All your questions are answered there already. ;)

Immortal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Started in US stocks. Doing fine so far.

Personal preference for US stocks due to better news coverage on companies.

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
Started in US stocks. Doing fine so far.

Personal preference for US stocks due to better news coverage on companies.

Can share more or a dummy guide?
Are you new to investing in stocks because that would help alot

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.