Have kids without getting marry

acidman35

Banned
Reaction score
If the couple do not want to get marry and still want to have kids.

Can they still put their names as father and mother on the child birth certificate?

What disadvantages does doing this have as compare with normal couples who marry and have kids?

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Birth cert can put any name in father field. Dun even hv to be the biological one. No need marriage cert.

Govt encourage marriages. So all the children grants are tied to marriage cert.

No cert cant get BTO wedding gift.
No cert cant top up spouse cpf acct.

But no cert also means abv 35 can own 2 HDB flats. No cert no need give angbao.

Best is marry give birth get wedding gift then mutual agree to div. If marriage cert can auto expire at yr5 best. Best of both worlds.

Reaction score

Can they still put their names as father and mother on the child birth certificate?

What disadvantages does doing this have as compare with normal couples who marry and have kids?

I thought cannot
But someone told me can last night
She even challenged me to call up ICA to ask wor

ct_318

Reaction score

I think there are certain housing policies that put single parents (if both parties are not allowed to put their name on birth cert bcos not officially married) at disadvantage when it comes to purchasing houses compared to if both parties are officially recognized as the parents...

Reaction score
Birth cert can put any name in father field. Dun even hv to be the biological one. No need marriage cert.

Best is marry give birth get wedding gift then mutual agree to div. If marriage cert can auto expire at yr5 best. Best of both worlds.

That’s solvil et titus advertisement idea 2012
https://youtu.be/xsp-N0GYK5Y

Last edited:

piyozz

Reaction score

Can, both parents if without marriage cert, needs to go down to ICA together to take an oath to declare that they are the biological parents of the child during the registration.

The advantage is that people will not know that your child is born out of wedlock? in future if both of u get married, no need to go through the hassle of including the father's particular into the birth cert, which is subject to approval and DNA test required.

the disadvantage would be that if things turn ugly, the father can claim the child. and if you are a guy, most probably the mother could claim monthly maintenance of the child from you.

Take your time and think through before registering the birth.

honeydewmelater

Reaction score
I don’t see any issue with this. I don’t think many people are marrying these days compared to 20-50 years ago. Feel it’s a waste of money

andytantravels

Reaction score
I think this is getting more popular these days - younger ppl not so concern with religion or traditions.

Rayan123

Reaction score
Must make sure you are financially well prepared. Raising a child is not cheap in Singapore.

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don’t see any issue with this. I don’t think many people are marrying these days compared to 20-50 years ago. Feel it’s a waste of money

Getting married just need to go ROM. No need spend big money on the frills.

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score
It can be a simple affair. It is not about the money but the loss of freedom. In short thr freedom to **** around legally.

matey1982

Banned
Reaction score
like in one of the earlier replies

once got blank name on either father/mother column of birth cert

nxt time how to proof got proper family nucleus to buy house
how to enrol kids to school
how to have the childcare coverage etc

ronaldgohandstop

Reaction score
Lots of worrying issues 🤯

like in one of the earlier replies

once got blank name on either father/mother column of birth cert

nxt time how to proof got proper family nucleus to buy house
how to enrol kids to school
how to have the childcare coverage etc

ganroycebye

Reaction score

this could be done!!!! Sounds better.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.