Sony unveils WF-1000XM3 truly wireless noise-cancelling earbuds

parchiao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.techradar.com/sg/news/sony-unveils-wf-1000xm3-truly-wireless-noise-cancelling-earbuds

Following the smashing success of Sony’s flagship noise-cancelling cans – the WH-1000XM3 – the Japanese tech giant is adding another member to the family in the form of true wireless headphones.

The similarly named Sony WF-1000XM3 brings much of the over-ear variant’s prowess and appeal to a more portable form factor.

One of the most impressive aspects of the WH-1000XM3, and a big factor in making it one of the best wireless headphones available today, is their noise-cancelling capabilities, and with these new truly wireless in-ears, Sony is promising the same quality.

A pair of external microphones on each bud feed external noise to the dedicated QN1e noise-cancelling chip (an improvement on the WH-1000XM3’s QN1 chip), where it intelligently blocks out background noise and ambience.

This same advanced chip is responsible for 24-bit digital-to-audio conversion, as was the case in the WH-1000XM3. Combine this with Sony’s Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX – a feature that upscales audio in a compressed format to bring back some lost fidelity – and these in-ears are set to sound as rich as their over-ear counterparts.

A common complaint among true wireless buds is their penchant toward connectivity issues, often caused by one earbud needing to pair with the other via Bluetooth. Apple’s AirPods manage to avoid this by using a dedicated chip to connect both directly to the device, and Sony is employing a similar strategy with the WF-1000XM3, promising increased stability.

The WF-1000XM3 have a reported battery life of 6 hours and, as is the situation with most true wireless earbuds, these Sony offerings come with a charging case, capable of recharging them thrice more for a total of 24 hours listening time. A quick charge function should give you 90 minutes mileage out of a snappy 10 minute charge too.

Another winning feature borrowed from the flagship over-ear cans is Sony’s Quick Attention mode, which allows you to place a finger over the left earbud’s touch control to momentarily lower the volume of your audio and let in ambient sound, so you can hear what's happening around you.

The Sony WF-1000XM3 will be available in black and platinum silver, arriving in July for $230 (£220, AU$400).

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Mavin Air-X has total 50 hrs play time leh

No support for aptx, apt HD and LDAC....only supports SBC and ACC.... good meh? No volume controls some more

I suppose its more suitable for strong bass

🙄

Last edited:

parchiao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Mavin Air-X has total 6o hrs play time leh

No support for aptx, apt HD and LDAC....only supports SBC and ACC.... good meh? No volume controls some more

I suppose its more suitable for strong bass

🙄

No idea. But it sure ticks many of my boxes since I am an Apple user. The way it sticks out, that is my only concern. :s13:

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
no aptx of any sort is really sad.

but it has :
some new wireless implementation that hopefully ensure seamless connection. (bluetooth to both earbuds instead of master/slave)

bluetooth 5.0 (thank god)

ANC + ambient sound functionality

sound quality (Sony)

support by Sony ( future firmware upgrades probably )

the brand (Sony)

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So big huh....case also big leh

Not sweat resistant some more. Sweating in the long run will damage the ear buds leh

One more thing. Although it uses the same ANC processor as its big brother WH-1000XM3 ANC headphone the noise cancelling sure won't be equal or better.

You won't be able to enjoy using these ear buds unless you have the SD845/855 phone like

Bluetooth syncing where sound is transmitted to both the ear buds simultaneously which means audio lag will still be there if you are watching video

No aptx, aptx HD and, surprisingly, SONY's own LDAC codec

😲

Last edited:
Reaction score

parchiao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So big huh....case also big leh

Not sweat resistant some more. Sweating in the long run will damage the ear buds leh

One more thing. Although it uses the same ANC processor as its big brother WH-1000XM3 ANC headphone the noise cancelling sure won't be equal or better.

You won't be able to enjoy using these ear buds unless you have the SD845/855 phone like

Bluetooth syncing where sound is transmitted to both the ear buds simultaneously which means audio lag will still be there if you are watching video

No aptx, aptx HD and, surprisingly, SONY's own LDAC codec

😲

LOL! Looks like you have something against Sony.

The biggest box that it checks in my list is proper ANC. The Japanese review suggests it is 90% or equivalent of the bigger brother. We will have to see about it.

As for latency, it looks like as if Sony has taken the same approach as Apple and included a chip in each earphone that reduces sound delays and improve connectivity. Also, both earphones connects with the source. Again, we will have to see how well it works.

As for the other points, I think you are just being biased. Not everyone needs earphones that can withstand a gazillion hours of usage and another gazillion litres of sweat. Neither do I think this is a earphone for everyone. It has ANC and that will be it's selling point. If someone wants ANC, look here. As for LDAC, it drains battery really fast.

Let's wait and see how well it works.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The biggest box that it checks in my list is proper ANC. The Japanese review suggests it is 90% or equivalent of the bigger brother. We will have to see about it.

As for latency, it looks like as if Sony has taken the same approach as Apple and included a chip in each earphone that reduces sound delays and improve connectivity. Also, both earphones connects with the source. Again, we will have to see how well it works.

As for the other points, I think you are just being biased. Not everyone needs earphones that can withstand a gazillion hours of usage and another gazillion litres of sweat. Neither do I think this is a earphone for everyone. It has ANC and that will be it's selling point. If someone wants ANC, look here. As for LDAC, it drains battery really fast.

I have something against SONY?

I owns the SONY WH-1000XM3 headphone so how can I be against SONY?

If a product is good I'll give it the credit otherwise it's not good. Short and simple

Last edited:

Jason8811

Reaction score

Looks more like you are promoting Sony. We'll know if it's good once it's launch, as pointed it doesn't have the sports, sweat resistant, battery life, APTx and etc boxes checked.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Backfired bro. Cover blown. Hahaha.

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Tbh different people have different use case for things.

For me, majority of the time I use my earphones or headphones are spent on public transportation, where ANC > water resistant.
In addition, Sony implemented a new Bluetooth connectivity which promises better connection, which majority of the tws buds fail to deliver. (I have 2 ears but own like 5 or 6 pairs of tws)

Of course if your use case requires water resistance, look for another earphone.

No need argue one.

But seriously no aptx a bit Sian.
But then again I have a tws earphone with aptx (PAMU slide) and I will choose my jabra elite sports over it any day

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tbh different people have different use case for things.

For me, majority of the time I use my earphones or headphones are spent on public transportation, where ANC > water resistant.
In addition, Sony implemented a new Bluetooth connectivity which promises better connection, which majority of the tws buds fail to deliver. (I have 2 ears but own like 5 or 6 pairs of tws)

Of course if your use case requires water resistance, look for another earphone.

No need argue one.

But seriously no aptx a bit Sian.
But then again I have a tws earphone with aptx (PAMU slide) and I will choose my jabra elite sports over it any day

With air con in public transport there's no need of water resistance in ear buds. You only need water resistance when you are walking along the streets or in places without air con when you sweat.

If SONY uses the Qualcomm chip QCC3026 for bluetooth syncing of both ear buds then this will only benefit those who owns the SD 845/855 phones because this will activate Qualcomm’s ‘TrueWireless Stereo Plus’ (TWS+) mode. The Mavin Air-X is a good example which uses this Qualcomm chip. Another is the OPPO O-Free earbuds

Users of Kirin, Apple, Exynos processor etc won't enjoy the benefit.....unless SONY develops its own dedicated bluetooth chip to cater to non-SD 845/855 users.

Read Qualcomm's True Wireless Stereo Plus (TWS+) below

https://www.androidauthority.com/qualcomm-truewireless-stereo-plus-true-wireless-earbuds-942128/

Well......just have to wait for more reviews. But I don't like its huge size

Last edited:

parchiao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Backfired bro. Cover blown. Hahaha.

Yes, I am promoting it for selfish reasons. I have been looking out for a good ANC truely wireless for the longest time and finally something decent is made. So the purpose of starting this thread is so that I can eventually get a gauge of its performance. If it is good, I might just take the plunge. If the genuine feedback is bad ie someone who has used it, I am not touching it and will wait for the Bose 700 truely wireless. Then I will start another thread promoting that. :s13:

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile...There are Hifiman TWS600 and Fostex TM2 akan datang to test. :D

The TM2 is built around Qualcomm’s QCC3026 chip which means it's good for phones which use SD 845/855 to take advantage of Qualcomm’s TWS+. Other processor phones like iPhone, Exynos, Kirin etc can say bye bye to it. Read below

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/25/18197355/fostex-tm2-true-wireless-earphones-modular-price-release-date-namm-2019

The TWS600 has only 5.5 hrs per charge and only supports AAC and SBC codecs....no aptx, aptx HD, LDAC hor meh?

https://headfonics.com/2019/07/hifiman-tws600-first-contact/

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.