US Dividends Aristocrats thread

Mr. Wood

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.suredividend.com/best-dividend-stocks/

The 10 Best Dividend Stocks In July 2019: What To Buy Now
The 10 best dividend stocks for July 2019 are listed in order of 5-year expected total returns, from lowest to highest.

W.W. Grainger, Inc. (GWW)
A.O. Smith (AOS)
Southwest Airlines (LUV)
Caterpillar (CAT)
Cardinal Health (CAH)
Eaton Vance (EV)
Ameriprise Financial (AMP)
Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA)
Bank OZK (OZK)
Brookfield Asset Management (BAM)

5 years expected returns.
it is not 6mths or even 1 year returns.
it is a long term holding game.

do not risk yr life savings or yr children's uni funds.

do not believe course sellers who say by attending their course, u can make back easily the course fees in 1 trade. show winners and hide loser. who dunno.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dun use local brokers for US stocks simply of the higher broker comms, custodian fees, monthly platform fees, dividends distribution fees etc etc.

no referral link, but I am using tdameritrade. no monthly fees
:D flat comms US$5 regardless of 1 or 100 shares

I dun understand wht u mean by because of company policy. can explain a bit more? :o

Morningstar and yahoo finance give free info such as distribution and holdings.
eg http://etfs.morningstar.com/distribution?t=SPY&region=usa&culture=en_US

Means the company I am working for don't allow stock trading. ETFs is ok though.

So i can only trade ETFs.

I see you are trading NOBL?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’ll insert a periodic reminder here that dividend-oriented U.S. stock investing arguably makes some sense for U.S. persons, or at least it’s neutral. We U.S. persons pay the same tax rate on qualified dividends as on long-term capital gains.

For residents of Singapore who are not U.S. persons, no, that’s not true. You take a 30% tax hit on every dollar of dividends, but you pay zero tax on capital gains. It much, much better for you to have capital appreciation in your U.S. stocks.

Be very careful to draw inspiration from financial markets and global investing but then adapt that inspiration to your context, which could be different. Here it’s very different.

Mr. Wood

Banned
Reaction score
I’ll insert a periodic reminder here that dividend-oriented U.S. stock investing arguably makes some sense for U.S. persons, or at least it’s neutral. We U.S. persons pay the same tax rate on qualified dividends as on long-term capital gains.

For residents of Singapore who are not U.S. persons, no, that’s not true. You take a 30% tax hit on every dollar of dividends, but you pay zero tax on capital gains. It much, much better for you to have capital appreciation in your U.S. stocks.

Be very careful to draw inspiration from financial markets and global investing but then adapt that inspiration to your context, which could be different. Here it’s very different.

thks for the reminder.
and welcome all different opinions here. :)
this is not a course selling channel where all opposing views are deleted. :s13:

yes, there definitely are pros and cons of diffnt strategies.

Mr. Wood

Banned
Reaction score
Means the company I am working for don't allow stock trading. ETFs is ok though.

So i can only trade ETFs.

I see you are trading NOBL?

u my fren is jsm!:s13:
must be some BB insider :o:eek:

basically for overseas, nowdays I hardly have enuff time to study individual stocks. even if I have time, I may not be right there to place a trade when the price tank 30% in one session.
so various ETFs and mutual funds are the way to go for me right now.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u my fren is jsm!:s13:
must be some BB insider :o:eek:

basically for overseas, nowdays I hardly have enuff time to study individual stocks. even if I have time, I may not be right there to place a trade when the price tank 30% in one session.
so various ETFs and mutual funds are the way to go for me right now.

Small worker only :vijayadmin:

Yeah, I will prefer ETFs as it doesn't need much monitoring. I am a mid term investor so intend to pump in and wait it out, or until a better ETF comes along.

Can you share your current recommendations so I can consider.

Thanks alot!

bobamilk923

Reaction score
Hi Mr Wood

Can i know how you manage to get USD5 per trade? i am confused with the commission. I got people telling me is USD6.95 per trade. But i went to TD Ameritrade SG website it says USD10.65 per trade. And also how do you transfer your funds over? Need to pay any fees?

Mr. Wood

Banned
Reaction score
Small worker only :vijayadmin:

Yeah, I will prefer ETFs as it doesn't need much monitoring. I am a mid term investor so intend to pump in and wait it out, or until a better ETF comes along.

Can you share your current recommendations so I can consider.

Thanks alot!

i am notch financial CON-sultant :s22:
but I can say I like spy, nobl, xlp :D

Mr. Wood

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Mr Wood

Can i know how you manage to get USD5 per trade? i am confused with the commission. I got people telling me is USD6.95 per trade. But i went to TD Ameritrade SG website it says USD10.65 per trade. And also how do you transfer your funds over? Need to pay any fees?

transfer via sg ibanking to their US wells fargo account. there is forex fees and handling fees by the bank.

$5 not standard ah? sorry i forgot is it refer by fren or becoz last time i trade a lot and call them for special offer, or is it becoz of they base on accnt size. i think someone show me be4 $1.25 per trade. sorry cant remb. :o
can call their sg office to ask if they have any promos.:D

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My 7 years of JNJ finally yielding $3.80 on cost of $62 or 4.3%(after 30% tax).
Definitely losing to reits by yield alone.

According to
https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/jnj/dividend-history

it was
0.66 per quarter in 2013 ($1.848 or just 2.98%)
0.7 per quarter in 2014
0.75 per quarter in 2015
0.8 per quarter in 2016
0.84 per quarter in 2017
0.9 per quarter in 2018
0.95 per quarter in 2019 ($2.66 or 4.3%)

Will probably took another 7-8 years for it to double my initial yield.
Of course, in that 7-8 years, JNJ has risen from $62(2012) to $141(2019).
That is about 2.27x my cost price.

In total, it has risen
$15.68(dividends collected)+$141(share price)= $156.68

https://www.investopedia.com/calculator/cagr.aspx
Over the course of 7 periods your investment grew from $62.00 to $156.68, its compound annual growth rate, or its overall return, is 14.16%.
Not exactly great but it's good enough for me to hold this. :D

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can do a CAGR of the various stocks within the CCC list universe.
I will try to do one with all my current CCC list+some misc holdings when free.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to auto invest etf dividends back into the etf?

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are etf which automates reinvestment of ETF.
You are looking for which etf? S&P or world index?

No preference but more of in the growth and dividend space. Where can I find the info that tells me they auto reinvest the dividends?

I am looking at etfs that needs little maintenance, even dividends get pumped back. 5-10 years horizon.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
No preference but more of in the growth and dividend space. Where can I find the info that tells me they auto reinvest the dividends?

I am looking at etfs that needs little maintenance, even dividends get pumped back. 5-10 years horizon.

Iwda for world etf.

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
vanguard launched an accumulating s&p 500 etf VUAA you may be interested in this

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.