which ryzen 3000 should i get?

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Technically, anything below 3700X are good. The 3600X will serve you well.

Read from an business analyst article, on why AMD yield is double that of intel.
Yes, technically in term of architecture and design, every chiplet is the same from the production line. Unlike intel, AMD chiplets approach allows them to create many variants from 1 master blueprint. Like printing money notes and specify how many zero you wished later.... 3600, 3600x, 3700x, 3800x, 3900x.

e.g, a 8 core chiplets, is sorted into different bin base on the quality of the silicon, and if a 8 core Zen3 chiplet cannot function with all of its cores AMD could disable certain parts of the chips and make it a 6 cores chiplets.

Bin A - 3800x
Bin B - 3700x
Bin C - 3600x
Bin D - defects cores either sell as 6cores chiplets, or combine 2 to form 12 cores 3900x. ( this one my hypothesis , dont want to get sued by AMD)

So paying premium for bin A - 3800x, supposedly got higher chace to run at 4.3/5 MHz all cores STOCK as opposed to 3600x. Therefore, technically a 3600x is the same as 3800x in terms of design and architecture and >$200 cheaper.... cannot complain oredi....

Last edited:

lumpyme

Master Member
Reaction score
i've decided to get the 3600x as well. was originally holding out for a 3700x then i realized that buying off amazon i wouldn't need to pay for gst and the price difference is almost $150 sgd

off amazon the 3600x is $366. the 3700x is 499 when bought locally
i figure that the 2 extra cores would not be used 99% of the time. during games the difference is at most 5 fps and i don't do video encoding or won't be using zipping very much. even then the 2 extra cores will only return a few seconds difference

so $150 savings would go very well towards a much better gpu for me

voux00

Reaction score
i've decided to get the 3600x as well. was originally holding out for a 3700x then i realized that buying off amazon i wouldn't need to pay for gst and the price difference is almost $150 sgd

off amazon the 3600x is $366. the 3700x is 499 when bought locally
i figure that the 2 extra cores would not be used 99% of the time. during games the difference is at most 5 fps and i don't do video encoding or won't be using zipping very much. even then the 2 extra cores will only return a few seconds difference

so $150 savings would go very well towards a much better gpu for me

Eh, I'm planning to change comp soon cos current one is a 7-year dinosaur liao, hehehe... Whats the typical method now ah?

U all buy different parts online from Amazon, NewEgg, etc? So u all wait for good promos then buy each part separately? Once all the parts are bought/received, then u all assemble yourself or find someone in SLS to assemble for u?

Paiseh, 7 years no touch this liao, very rusty alr! Need some advice on the above...

lumpyme

Master Member
Reaction score
Bought ram off Newegg
Case off Lazada, 460x Corsair is now only $105
SSD off qoo10, some unknown Korean brand for $60
Mobo off Newegg, cheaper than sg. If spoilt just buy again

Cpu is where I made a mistake, I bought off Amazon. Total savings is just $3. Should have gone to sls to buy but then again, sls shops might not sell bare CPU at the listed price

queerquirks

Master Member
Reaction score
Bought ram off Newegg
Case off Lazada, 460x Corsair is now only $105
SSD off qoo10, some unknown Korean brand for $60
Mobo off Newegg, cheaper than sg. If spoilt just buy again

Cpu is where I made a mistake, I bought off Amazon. Total savings is just $3. Should have gone to sls to buy but then again, sls shops might not sell bare CPU at the listed price

Which ram did you get. Saw a Gskill 16gb 3200 on newegg for Sgd 98 before Gst.

Does ram brand matter or just the speed. Considering Gskill or corsair, cheaper the better, no need for rgb or Oc what not

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 2 XL

Reaction score

Survivelater

Reaction score
I decided to go with 3700x with msi x570 gaming edge.
Reason being is for future proofing. As console gaming is moving toward 8 core and I do understand that they are also using lesser clock Speed. And it will take some time before computer gaming to reach 8core and no one know when it gonna happen. But I intend to use it until it spoil or something so probably 5yrs? Who know what the future holds. Therefore, I decided to go with 3700x just incase as my budget is able to support it. 3800x and 3900x is already over my budget

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Reason being is for future proofing. As console gaming is moving toward 8 core and I do understand that they are also using lesser clock Speed. And it will take some time before computer gaming to reach 8core and no one know when it gonna happen. But I intend to use it until it spoil or something so probably 5yrs? Who know what the future holds. Therefore, I decided to go with 3700x just incase as my budget is able to support it. 3800x and 3900x is already over my budget

3700x is a good choice, many 6 core CPUs are close to hitting limits in modern AAA titles especially when paired with a high end GPU.

concept_fuel

Reaction score
3700x is a good choice, many 6 core CPUs are close to hitting limits in modern AAA titles especially when paired with a high end GPU.

Many but not the R5 3600/X. This will last you till you upgrade or when the next wave hit;)

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it advisable to get more then 3200mhz rams for non X Ryzens. I was thinking since OCing would net low results, might as well spend the $$$ on better rams.

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Still don't get why people think future proofing exists in IT. It's so fast moving that there is no such thing as future-proofing.

lumpyme

Master Member
Reaction score
Which ram did you get. Saw a Gskill 16gb 3200 on newegg for Sgd 98 before Gst.

Does ram brand matter or just the speed. Considering Gskill or corsair, cheaper the better, no need for rgb or Oc what not

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 2 XL

gskill 32 gb off newegg for $200
during day to day usage i'm already hitting 15gb usage, i figure more ram is better

i would think that specs matters more than brand, just like intel vs amd. ppl might think intel is better but if you compared an i5 vs a 3900x, the 3900x is gonna be significantly better

lumpyme

Master Member
Reaction score

price difference between 3700 and 3600 is 150
if you are adventurous enough to buy gpu off carousell
1070 - $250 - 300
1080 - 400 - 450

single core 3600 matches 3700
in terms of gaming performance where you pair both cpus with a gpu that can barely make 60fps, the difference is at most 3fps

i was considering the 3700x or the 3900x and $150 - 400 is not a lot of money but the waiting time and the constant checking for updates to see which store has stock made me consider the 3600x

also i was very turned off by the shops at sls trying to make every single dollar. i visited a shop and asked if they got stock, the guy looked at me for a few seconds - obviously sizing me up then asked, full build?
i said no, he replied, no stock
couldn't even be bothered to say, sorry reserved for full build only

i currently have a 1070 and it is still good but i've been tempted to ugrade. its still not worthy to pay to upgrade to a 5600xt yet but if the salesperson were a little more friendly i would not have minded to upgrade

anyway i got everything online, less hassle at the end of the day

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.