Are there SSHDs larger than 2TB

greatgreenman

Reaction score
Been using firecuda 2tb but they don’t seem to make larger disks... anyone know of larger capacity SSHDs?

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually is pretty crappy compared to add

Spend more on ssd... If intending to use for os

PyroBlade

Reaction score
It makes no sense to use a SSD/NAND cache for archival data. Its meant to cache access to data with high temporal locality, i.e. OS file, pagefile. There is learning behavior involved, so it won't magically speed up access to a video, music file you play back once in a while.

That's why there is no general benefit to have SSHD with high capacities. OEMs (HP, Dell, Lenovo) generally have the biggest say in product roadmaps for HDD suppliers, and they have to be convinced that there is a marketable benefit to large capacity SSHD (practical or not is another matter).

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SSHD/SSD will not benefit a drive use for storage. Save yourself the money and just get a higher capacity drive.

At least ssd u transfer file... U very happy

Torrenting also very smooth

But of cos.... At a price

greatgreenman

Reaction score
SSHD/SSD will not benefit a drive use for storage. Save yourself the money and just get a higher capacity drive.

There is, actually. File indexing and data transfer is much faster. It also doesn’t take ages to load a folder with a lot of files. A standard HDD can sometimes take a long time to load contents but my SSHD loads folder contents instantaneously. Basically got tired of using explorer the last time I used a HDD and ran files with command line instead.
I have a ton of video files, a lot of them that are 3D. This is why I’m looking for an SSHD instead.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is, actually. File indexing and data transfer is much faster. It also doesn’t take ages to load a folder with a lot of files. A standard HDD can sometimes take a long time to load contents but my SSHD loads folder contents instantaneously. Basically got tired of using explorer the last time I used a HDD and ran files with command line instead.
I have a ton of video files, a lot of them that are 3D. This is why I’m looking for an SSHD instead.

I think you don't get it. The 8GB NAND on the drive is used for caching. When you copy files to it, it goes directly to the mechanical drive, not to the flash memory. It you often open the same file, then yes, it will benefit you. However if you are opening random files each time, the cache will not work. For example, if you first install your application or OS on it, you need to launch it few times before it gets cached and thus, speeding up the app or OS launch. It's more psychological to think that it's faster. Higher capacity drives provides higher transfer rates. You can Google up if you choose not to believe.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you don't get it. The 8GB NAND on the drive is used for caching. When you copy files to it, it goes directly to the mechanical drive, not to the flash memory. It you often open the same file, then yes, it will benefit you. However if you are opening random files each time, the cache will not work. For example, if you first install your application or OS on it, you need to launch it few times before it gets cached and thus, speeding up the app or OS launch. It's more psychological to think that it's faster. Higher capacity drives provides higher transfer rates. You can Google up if you choose not to believe.

Great explanation, guess TS either thinks
Firecuda with SSHD is faster HDD in the market but it is just a HDD with cache.
Unless TS have deep pockets, invest in SAS controller and HDD.

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using a Samsung 4TB 860 EVO and 2TB 860 QVO to store games (OS in Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD), also have a 6TB WD Black for games that I don't play that often. Reason for going SSD's for games is simply to faster load times......my Metro Exodus game levels load pretty fast, even before Artyom can finish his monologue. Toying with the idea of getting an 8TB SAS3 SSD...

shadey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use a 2TB Micron SSD to store my photos and PSD files. Much much much nicer for boosting productivity

andymarsh

Reaction score
I use a 2TB Micron SSD to store my photos and PSD files. Much much much nicer for boosting productivity
I've been camping for a 2tb ssd (sata/nvme) sale. Cheapest I've seen is a 170usd Intel 660p. Anyone got lobang either local or overseas?

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wait for BF 2020 sales, last yr can get 2tb mx500 at S$300+, if include $10 ezbuy service.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.