Air purifier? - Part 2

Blutvene

Reaction score
I have a brand new novita NAP866 for sale as I got as a house warming gift. Anybody interested? Brand new

Scoobydooz

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for an AP and a humidifier and am hoping for some advice.
I have a young boy and my wife has allergy rhinitis, she also had asthma during her childhood but seems to be OK now.
The 3 of us sleep in an AC room every night and although I keep the windows shut for the room the whole day, this bedroom always seems to have more dust than the other rooms with windows open.
We vacuum and change bedsheets every week. But looks like not enough.
So I'm considering an AP and did quite a bit of reading and found the IQAir health pro 250 (expensive initial and recurring cost) and the honeywell 18450 as the shortlisted units. Heard both are medical grade. Would appreciate your advice as I notice people talking about xiaomi.
I'm looking for a humidifier as the AC seems to dry out mouth and skin alot and my son recently started nosebleeds. I went to check on the various types of humidifiers and am even considering a DIY.
Appreciate any help as u can see that the costs will add up over the years and I hope not to buy something which usnt useful for my situation.

NWT1978

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for an AP and a humidifier and am hoping for some advice.
I have a young boy and my wife has allergy rhinitis, she also had asthma during her childhood but seems to be OK now.
The 3 of us sleep in an AC room every night and although I keep the windows shut for the room the whole day, this bedroom always seems to have more dust than the other rooms with windows open.
We vacuum and change bedsheets every week. But looks like not enough.
So I'm considering an AP and did quite a bit of reading and found the IQAir health pro 250 (expensive initial and recurring cost) and the honeywell 18450 as the shortlisted units. Heard both are medical grade. Would appreciate your advice as I notice people talking about xiaomi.
I'm looking for a humidifier as the AC seems to dry out mouth and skin alot and my son recently started nosebleeds. I went to check on the various types of humidifiers and am even considering a DIY.
Appreciate any help as u can see that the costs will add up over the years and I hope not to buy something which usnt useful for my situation.

can tried the Sharp ones

https://sg.sharp/products/humidifying-air-purifier

so far mine working real well during haze...

filter replacement not cheap unless u getting at Taobao...

wow u on air con every night... electric bills should be high...

Last edited:

Tony_Chua

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought novita nap811i liao

so how is your nap811i? i notice that nap811i consumes higher electricity than nap822.

nap811i
200m3/hr (Low): 30w
300m3/hr (Medium): 43w
400m3/hr (High): 56w

nap822
220m3/hr (Low): 12w
350m3/hr (Medium): 20w
450m3/hr (High): 35w

Scoobydooz

Reaction score
can tried the Sharp ones

https://sg.sharp/products/humidifying-air-purifier

so far mine working real well during haze...

filter replacement not cheap unless u getting at Taobao...

wow u on air con every night... electric bills should be high...

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we sleep with AC every night as my son can't sleep when he perspires.

I'm avoiding the Sharp for now as there seems to be some debate on the effectiveness and possible health concerns with the use of charged ions.

Tony_Chua

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just got xiaomi 2s

i started it 30 mins ago and its reading was 20. now 5. at my bedroom.

Screenshot-20190722-184753.jpg

Tony_Chua

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for xiaomi 2s users,

since i used xiaomi 2s at my bedroom yesterday, the smell is like weird (different smell from without xiaomi 2s) and i started to have abit slight lack of breath. so i opened the windows.

now i still have little lack of breath and my right chest muscle moves itself. anyone has issue?

Reaction score
I don't have any symptoms as you described. Does it happen only when you stay in bedroom?

for xiaomi 2s users,

since i used xiaomi 2s at my bedroom yesterday, the smell is like weird (different smell from without xiaomi 2s) and i started to have abit slight lack of breath. so i opened the windows.

now i still have little lack of breath and my right chest muscle moves itself. anyone has issue?

dnsfpl

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
previously i shortlisted xiaomi and novita

end up bought novita cos xiaomi never state anything about their filter being true hepa

imo that is my number 1 concern, no true hepa = as good as no air filter

Tony_Chua

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

end up bought novita cos xiaomi never state anything about their filter being true hepa

i considered novita in first place too. which model you bought? nap822?

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for xiaomi 2s users,

which filter you using?

vegathestar

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone has ap recommendation for bedroom prone to mildew? despite best effort to keep my room clean sometimes my stuff tend to get mildew when kept for too long. Have already stocked up on thirsty hippo, thinking of getting ap if it can help

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

All these H11, H10, TB generics have been tested before by quite a few folks here. They do just fine with indonesian haze or even cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke in particular has nothing above 0.6/0.7 microns (the chinese laser particle counter modules react to cigarette smoke just fine, sensitive enough). The usual indon, malaysian haze is no issue, though chemical pollution is another matter of course (pls see previous pages).

The numbers that you really should look out for is replacement filter cost (esp if you are doing multiple units due to kids/elderly), noise/wattage, CADR. The filter cost is recurrent and do add up over time costing a few times more than the unit.
eg the air purifier units are just a one-time cost, but I'd also be spending over 1k on branded replacement filters annually in total. And i have been using APs since 2007.

Of course, if you are a successful pax earning 5-6 figures monthly, then no worries disregard my posts then.

Repost......

Below shows some March haze measurements, that time you know, pax were kpkb very smelly etc. Punggol smells (though i am living at South Part of the island)
Note, do not compare this with NEA figs.....it is what it is, bloody long story fit for another thread.

What you really want is the Air Purifier's CADR figure. This depends on the airflow and filtration efficiency. Give an extreme example, a China H11 HEPA that is only 90% effective but in a big AP that guns over 1000 m3/hr. Vs a H13 "True" HEPA 99.97% but doing only 200 m3h/hr. The former would eat the latter for breakfast.
The latter H13 AP would need to be doing comfortably over 900m3/hr in order to be equal/surpass the China H11 filter.

Note, the below is dealing with real haze. And the meter has been tested by me to be sensitive and to cigarette smoke before, which is a source that has a predominant particle size distribution as shown below.

4-Figure2-1.png

All China H11 HEPA (measured to be 92%), except for the Mfresh M8088A which is true H12 HEPA (it's 99% thereabouts).

3 APs in the room. Mfresh M8088A actually is in lowest fan speed, coz i don't wanna load it too much. Most of the cleaning is done by the Samsung AX40 and Sharp KC-840 with China DIY HEPA, cut in size + sides stuffed with bubble wrap for sealing.

GPGT, proof that it works.
Few days ago Singapore haze.

Sudden transient peak @ 40k+ counts @ 0.5 microns
image.png.1149625e5f01cd5a7091592cb4ffd62c.png

MBR (420 counts @ 0.5)
image.png.d95f6703dd81e01cefa17e32411b457d.png

Mfresh M8088A H12, only 10 counts @ 0.5 microns lowest reading
image.png.8fcb61ceb7083727252d34bf45d00e82.png

Sharp KC-840 China DIY H11. Samsung AX40 is similar. 20 counts @ 0.5 microns lowest reading
image.png.92a5591a846f1c917efda6136fc809fb.png

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone has ap recommendation for bedroom prone to mildew? despite best effort to keep my room clean sometimes my stuff tend to get mildew when kept for too long. Have already stocked up on thirsty hippo, thinking of getting ap if it can help

The best and most feasible control is having good ventilation in your room, esp during the afternoons when the RH% dips. So if your room/unit does not enjoy "good wind", then you'd need to install a fan. Of coz then you'd also need to clean the fan blades and casing every month or so.

Normal AP filtration no use one lah. Even if you use 3 air purifiers in the room, mold would still grow inside the AC right? (that's my setup in the MBR anyway which has the most number of APs)

So practically it still cannot suppress the growth of mold by filtering out all the spores. Coz i think a few spores still do manage to get around before being caught by the AP filter. The spores are relatively big, from 1 to a few tens of microns.

Now, if your room is built by drawing in external air and being filtered first before exhausting into the room, ie positive pressure and the operation is 24/7, then perhaps it would be possible.
There are several semi-DIY boxes/fan filter units with filters that you can get on Taobao, with hoses and window adaptations and all.
Might be a bit difficult to do in small BTO bedrooms though, heck anything other than a Xiaomi 2S is somewhat difficult in a BTO type bedroom. :s13:

Below video partially shows you the effect. But note, below also shows laminar airflow, which is not exactly and totally possible in your house.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...OIDiK&id=520291034609&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail

jQmHqpz.jpg

fBika3R.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky177

Master Member
Reaction score
A pic says a thousand words. Won’t say not true hepa = no filter.

Also tested whether “clean” air out using PM2.5 detector previously, compared with my other non Xiaomi brand AP to see if any much difference before I’m convinced and switched all over to XiaoMi Pro.

Not because they are no good, or XiaoMi is better ... but purely because those original filters of my previous non XiaoMi APs are relatively too expensive locally. Not practical for my situation. At least XiaoMi Pro is good enough for my family.

My XiaoMi AP filter despite left 37%👇

KNP6S0y.jpg

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.