[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
im using a sponge filter now with tidal 35, water not clear enough so thought of removing sponge and filter change to OHF with 2x2 box.

I am more concern about the strong current for the fish.
maybe you can try out the OHF and see the result.

do share with us your findings and reviews.

iamnagel

Reaction score
I think one female going to give birth soon. Body become squared like what online articles said.

Running out of tanks and pumps to separate the fishes liao.

1 main tank, 1 tank for this pregnant guppy, 1 for guppy fry, 1 for remaining female guppies. Siao liao

J4NnZjR.jpg

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Rice fish are tougher than guppies. Rice fish are hunters. Guppies just wait for food.

Was told rice fish is seasonal. Is it true?

Not sure about this as I never keep rice fish before.
It looks a bit like killifish but less colourful.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bio home plus
Seachem
Unless u loaded can Marine pure balls

But normal china and branded one if we like that use maybe cannot see a whole lot of difference .

biomedia which is better ? ball type or those long stick type ?

Last edited:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep, this is preggy, can separate out, use cloth cover up. Cover tank top also. If not use turtle tank, air pump and sponge filter. Do not expose babies to regular filter, all will die after being suck up by filter.

Babies attract lizards, so must all round defense. babies can eat tubi but better not. find fine powder baby food.

Mother must not disturb, if not eat babies.
U mean local normal house lizards will eat the guppy fries?!

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
* tidal is actually one of the better HoB filter with large media space and customizable

Those pumps no diff side or bottom cos all are centrifugal most of the time , it’s just the opening of the cover

But things need to note is the sizing of the pipes tubes connectors , some small volume pumps dun use 12/16 or those common ones .

Pank85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bio home plus
Seachem
Unless u loaded can Marine pure balls

But normal china and branded one if we like that use maybe cannot see a whole lot of difference .

i see, those long stick is better then ball type ?

Pank85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
* tidal is actually one of the better HoB filter with large media space and customizable

Those pumps no diff side or bottom cos all are centrifugal most of the time , it’s just the opening of the cover

But things need to note is the sizing of the pipes tubes connectors , some small volume pumps dun use 12/16 or those common ones .

my tidal is 35, inside all matrix and coral chip, put till max already. so thought of puting OHF so i can put more wool and media inside.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep, this is preggy, can separate out, use cloth cover up. Cover tank top also. If not use turtle tank, air pump and sponge filter. Do not expose babies to regular filter, all will die after being suck up by filter.

Babies attract lizards, so must all round defense. babies can eat tubi but better not. find fine powder baby food.

Mother must not disturb, if not eat babies.

Freak accidents happen and some babies end up being eaten by tubi worms instead.
Mothers must be well-fed.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I think one female going to give birth soon. Body become squared like what online articles said.

Running out of tanks and pumps to separate the fishes liao.

1 main tank, 1 tank for this pregnant guppy, 1 for guppy fry, 1 for remaining female guppies. Siao liao

J4NnZjR.jpg

a cheaper way is to use those plastic tubs from hardware shops.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Possible to reduce to two tanks? Main tank, fry tank. Then when a female is ready to give birth, put her in those nursing plastic box with holes hang on the fry tank. She gives birth, fry go into fry tank.
But if your breeding eventually is quite successful, then will need to think what to do with the growing fry le... :p
Lazy me for my granny's guppy tank, I let them survive on their own. The survival rate is extremely low though

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw that happen before too. tubi can be fed to babies and the babies are really aggressive. 1 small body pulling 1 tubi worm. There are times where the baby get caught by the worm colony.

Last time we use fish breads, clouds water, but we use them for fish, for tadpole feedings, works well.

It was a sorry sight when the baby was devoured by the worms.

Sometimes, i feed them tiny flesh thread from crab, prawn or steamed pomfret. Just a tiny bit.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Possible to reduce to two tanks? Main tank, fry tank. Then when a female is ready to give birth, put her in those nursing plastic box with holes hang on the fry tank. She gives birth, fry go into fry tank.
But if your breeding eventually is quite successful, then will need to think what to do with the growing fry le... :p
Lazy me for my granny's guppy tank, I let them survive on their own. The survival rate is extremely low though

I used lots of plants for fries to hide. They need the coverage,
Also kept some fries in separate tanks tiil they are big enough to avoid being eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.