5.1 surround sound setup

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to do up a 5.1 surround setup for my living room which is a 19ft by 14ft space with 3m height. Purpose is for 50% music, 50% tv consisting of mostly set-top box, netflix, football and the odd bluray. I also intend to get a turntable plugged to the amp. I would also like to set it up and leave it untouched for 5 years or more (unless something gets damaged), so its more of a do it once do it good kinda thing. I also have young kids so the idea is for it to not get too "bom bom bom".

For sounds I prefer clarity and a good sound stage. Also prefer warmth to "bright" music.

So I have zoomed in on a Dali set which suits my needs and budget. And it comes with installation for $200.

Speakers around 3k
Dali Oberon 5
Dali Vokal
Dali Fazon Sat surround

Amp $940 (introduced by salesperson)
Yam RX-V685

Subwoof $850
A used SVS PB-1000

I have heard the oberons and they sound good. But I am not sure about the amp and the sub. The sub I have not listened to but I have read mostly good reviews that is why I am getting it over a Dali sub.

Any comments on whether the above is a worthy setup for an average user for almost $5k or I can do better with the money?

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Uh SVS PB1000 is $950 new from KEC on Lazada.
Please check lazada prices for other items also.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.54Bt

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Oh make sure u get dali oberon vokal. They have many versions of dali vokals.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes its the oberon 5, oberon vokal and the fazon sat. Now they having 20% off.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Another brand to consider is KEF Q series from Amazon. Singapore price seems very high. So maybe kef q550 tower front, kef q150 rear and kef q650c centre. Usually reviews favour the kefs over the dali or elac. Kefs are probably more affordable on Amazon. But not sure if they ship to singapore. May need to arrange with agent like VPost.

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
svs makes good subs. clean good bass is visceral, not muddied boomy .

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.