The AMD Zen2 Ryzen 3000 Discussion Thread

di3cbl

Reaction score
Considering pulling trigger on 3600 + tomahawk max + cm hyper 212, but a bit worried about temps and voltages. Seems that many people are getting around 60deg idle and idle voltage keep boosting to ~1.4v. Some say that this is normal ryzen behaviour, not sure if really true not. Will such temps and voltages degrade the CPU excessively over time?

nckai

Reaction score
3700X stock

idle temp is all over the place

load temp..
gaming usually below 60C
x265 about 75C (ignoring outlier peak of 84C as the reading falls back to 75ish instantly)

piledriver wraith though :crazy:

Gaming below 60C is pretty good!

kawaii_boy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Ryzen 3900X processor running on Ryzen Balanced Power Management averages about 45 - 50+ degrees when idle in aircon room.

When on load, spikes to as high as 94 degrees. Using a Kraken X62 AIO for cooling but the current CAM software is wonky, unable to accurately detect CPU temperatures. So temperatures hopefully will be lower when AIO is working properly once CAM software fixed

94 degrees that too hot :s22:

ah_khoo

Reaction score
more to do with temp monitoring sw keep "waking up" the cores hence the high voltage & high clock. vrm load temp on 3000 series is significantly lower than previous gen, should be the indication of reduced power consumption. cpu temp wise i'm not rea

idle:
5ZkbT2.png

load @ p95 small fft (avx)
5ZkWo9.png

early days as bios not really fully matured. full load givin a very slight boost clock (3.6GHz stock) but i guess some tweakin on pbo needed. manual oc is still pain at the back, or it could be user problem... :(

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most reviews i watch, the FPS diff between 3700X and 9700K are like a single digi diff. Can really tell a diff???

Off the FPS counter you also cannot tell.

Like more than single digit from above vid. 9700 non-k now $486 from Amazon. Things are heating up!
I think some mobo can force all core max turbo, effectively make 9700 run at 4.7ghz 8 cores. Good time to upgrade for all brands, amd or intel.

shadey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like more than single digit from above vid. 9700 non-k now $486 from Amazon. Things are heating up!
I think some mobo can force all core max turbo, effectively make 9700 run at 4.7ghz 8 cores. Good time to upgrade for all brands, amd or intel.

If you enjoy your furnace, go ahead.

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3700X stock

idle temp is all over the place

load temp..
gaming usually below 60C
x265 about 75C (ignoring outlier peak of 84C as the reading falls back to 75ish instantly)

piledriver wraith though :crazy:

adding on:

after dialling in a 4ghz all core clock frequency (on auto voltage :crazy:)

idle temp ~38C (1.2V)
x265 peak ~71C (1.169V)

performance is virtually identical to stock config

Last edited:

Solojaywalker

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Considering pulling trigger on 3600 + tomahawk max + cm hyper 212, but a bit worried about temps and voltages. Seems that many people are getting around 60deg idle and idle voltage keep boosting to ~1.4v. Some say that this is normal ryzen behaviour, not sure if really true not. Will such temps and voltages degrade the CPU excessively over time?

Get a Hyper 212 or a H7 instead

so 1 more cooler is recommended for Ryzen 3600 build? + the stock cooler itself

if so, which one are decent one (not liquid)

Rolleing Stone

Reaction score
Hey guys, planning to get a 3600 and an itx board within one/two months. Been thinking of B450 instead of X570 since B550 (or what they want to call it) will apparently take longer to arrive. However, since I don't have an existing Ryzen chip, I will not be able to update it normally. Unfortunately MSI doesn't seem to be updating its ITX B450 boards to the Ryzen 3000 ready MAX series. Not quite sure if there are other good B450 board manufacturers who will release these kind of updates.

Is there any solution to this?

Rolleing Stone

Reaction score
Thanks concept_fuel. Largely because the user won't likely need the features for a long long time. And slightly price sensitive lah. Can save, save.

1. seems more feasible... just buy and ask. Is 2 actually offered here?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, planning to get a 3600 and an itx board within one/two months. Been thinking of B450 instead of X570 since B550 (or what they want to call it) will apparently take longer to arrive. However, since I don't have an existing Ryzen chip, I will not be able to update it normally. Unfortunately MSI doesn't seem to be updating its ITX B450 boards to the Ryzen 3000 ready MAX series. Not quite sure if there are other good B450 board manufacturers who will release these kind of updates.

Is there any solution to this?

Pls get locally for your board. Wait for 9th August lazada sale for motherboard sale. Get local distro to update for u. I have the auros b450 itx (waiting for my Ryzen 7 2700 from Amazon) and asrock b350 itx (currently running Ryzen 7 1700x).

As for processor, 3600 free shipping this morning but its been removed as well, it was going at 279 sgd free shipping. Get ready to pay more if u buy from SLS without motherboard bundle. 9th August lazada sale or use 30 off 300 for dbs posb to bring it down to 289 plus 1.50 shipping.

Get your RAMs now! Newegg have just up their prices again today and remove their free shipping for SG for most rams. Best bet now is Amazon but delivery will take 2 weeks. Its going to go up and up. Might be double in 1 to 2 months time.

di3cbl

Reaction score
3600X, change to a better cooler that I had for a while(bequiet dark rock pro tf with f.o.c AM4 mounting)

Auto
idle temp ~40C
x265 peak ~80C
gaming ~60C
Idle cpu package power ~16W
Load cpu package power ~80W (x264)
Idle core voltage can go as low as ~0.2V
hvjU2Lj.jpg

Manual Vcore 1.225V LLC turbo all 6 core 4100mhz
idle temp ~38C
x265 peak ~70C
gaming ~60C
Idle cpu package power ~24W
Load cpu package power ~66W (x264)
You forever stuck at ~1.2V

My setting on manual is hands down better than stock/auto for temps, power and performance on load(both apps and gaming with better minimums)

Gaming Temps
xFgMThl.jpg

Auto CinebenchR15\Cpuz\Handbrake and gaming Screenie
us8ISe6.jpg

fOdKVgU.jpg

jFGX9Xi.jpg

Manual CinebenchR15\Cpuz\Handbrake and gaming Screenie
6J2eSrZ.jpg

0ToAHnj.jpg

Bv1WXWs.jpg

Forever stuck at 1.2v isn't that bad?

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's a good mobo for mid-tier processors? Must have bluetooth so can connect audio to bluetooth headphones. No intention of overclocking and only play strategy games, so no need to gun for high fps.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's a good mobo for mid-tier processors? Must have bluetooth so can connect audio to bluetooth headphones. No intention of overclocking and only play strategy games, so no need to gun for high fps.

Usually, BT are bundled with Wifi cards then bundled with mobo. This will usually be more expensive than the non-wifi version. Another cheaper method is to get a pcie adaptor for laptop wifi/bt modules with external antenna like for AC9260, etc. Then hook up to lowest pcie slot and antenna put at table for better reception. Cost like $40-50 from TB.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually, BT are bundled with Wifi cards then bundled with mobo. This will usually be more expensive than the non-wifi version. Another cheaper method is to get a pcie adaptor for laptop wifi/bt modules with external antenna like for AC9260, etc. Then hook up to lowest pcie slot and antenna put at table for better reception. Cost like $40-50 from TB.

Thanks can consider that too. I have a couple USB BT adaptors but somehow keeps disconnecting. AC 9260 looks good!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.