[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but actually..I want a router with good guest network control..so I can limit those who use my guest network leh...asus 1 like quite simple

Sent from Samsung Exploding Not 9? using GAGT
yes it's quite easy to create and control guest network access.. can set 2.4 or 5ghz, time limit, access to internet, and ap isolation.. but my guest networks are used to set up seperate subnets for my VPN tunnel to run on.. so just need to connect to the guest network SSID and would be covered by the VPN tunnel liao.. and also created one guest network just for my IoT devices to connect to.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to buy this router and im using the default settings.
But notice there is a speed difference as it seems slower then my previous dlink 865. Eg using a same yt video using dlink to dl is around 10-20Mb/s, but after using this new asus router, speed seems to drop significantly at 8-9Mb/s only. Im on wired connection with Starhub 1gbps plan here. Is there any settings i can fine tune my direct connection speed?

Please help/advise me by using the most simplest form that a IT idiot like me can understand :)

Notice that a dl starts at >20Mb/s but imm drops to <10Mb/s like 1-2 secs later

Last edited:

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to buy this router and im using the default settings.
But notice there is a speed difference as it seems slower then my previous dlink 865. Eg using a same yt video using dlink to dl is around 10-20Mb/s, but after using this new asus router, speed seems to drop significantly at 8-9Mb/s only. Im on wired connection with Starhub 1gbps plan here. Is there any settings i can fine tune my direct connection speed?

Please help/advise me by using the most simplest form that a IT idiot like me can understand :)

Notice that a dl starts at >20Mb/s but imm drops to <10Mb/s like 1-2 secs later
too many variables and factors to consider.

for a start, have you updated to latest firmware?
QoS should be turned off if it's not.

consider flashing to asus-merlin firmware even if you are not intending to utilise the additional features in the near future. you can use its system log to see if there are any obvious issues that may be causing the speed drop.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want to ask: I see that the USB HDD, there is an option to scan it periodically. I wonder if I need to set this if I reboot my router often, eg once a day or so.

Does it do a scan at boot up, in other words.

Thanks very very much.

royalmage

Reaction score
Recently just purchased this router to replace my stock singtel router, everything improved but encountered 1 major issue, quite frequently my internet will dc and connect back again and it happens at least once a day. Anyone facing this problem? Stock firmware

Sent from Samsung SM-A105G using GAGT

ccloh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the CPU temperature normal running @ 75°C ?

mine running around this temperature too but after i 3M stick a usb mini octopus fan for laptop at the back of it the temperature drops to 55. the dimension of this mini octopus fan fit exactly and connect the usb to the usb 2.0 port of the router just nice. the mini octopus fan costs me less than $4. cheap and effective solution :s13:

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
mine running around this temperature too but after i 3M stick a usb mini octopus fan for laptop at the back of it the temperature drops to 55. the dimension of this mini octopus fan fit exactly and connect the usb to the usb 2.0 port of the router just nice. the mini octopus fan costs me less than $4. cheap and effective solution :s13:

where you get the mini octopus fan from ?

ccloh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
where you get the mini octopus fan from ?

bought last year from Lazada for laptop. this mini octopus cooling fan quite popular then now i believe you can easily find in Qoo10, Lazada and even Aliexpress price ranges from $3+ to $10. not all can give noiseless performance so you have to be careful in selecting. the power might not be as strong as a 12cm cooling fan but sticking behind the router with 2 mini fan blowing, it just does the job.

btw if you are using the Merlin firmware, they just release a newer version which added the AiMesh feature. so basically you can ditch the stock firmware and move over to Merlin without worrying of not able to use the AiMesh feature

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quite common..this router seems to have quality issue with the flash memory.

to check
ssh and run dmesg | grep nand

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wa damn impressed with this clip-on $7 tiong-made cooler from taobao..