New EC at Sumang Walk

TheITGuy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sumang walk cfm good sales de la

Punggol households r usually young n affluent

I hav 3 couple frens staying there with hh income 16k n above, all lamenting to me y sumang walk was not avail earlier!!!

Plus its branded CDL!! A sign of top notch quality.

Buy now or regret later. Dun say I nvr recommend hoh. Next time 15xx for EC liao dun come cry father cry mother!!!

HH income of 16k no need stay punggul even if they are qualified to buy EC.

josephcws

Reaction score
Few overestimate but many developers have huge holding power.
Anyway the projects are launched at least 3 years ahead of TOP & few are in a hurry to lelong off even if they have overpriced in some.

A project sold out too soon they launch = zero left.
It is not IPhones which they can churn out more
week /month.

Bidding for new plot is intense & never easy to win.
Whopping 17 bid for this Sumang & you won't know your competitors bid price.
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/re...-bid-for-punggol-site-sets-record-for-ec-land

If there is really that few overestimation, the concept of discount will not exist le.

Just like you questioned "What's the point to give the buyers an instant +20%?"
There can be a equivalent question "Why price out potential buyers and hold the units?". I think there will be certain cost involve if the units are not sold, like the inventory cost concept.

I just do not really understand why keep mentioning underpriced? It is not as though the developers are losing money selling their units at the launch price they set. If it is a win-win scenario for everyone, why not?

annetyu

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. I am also one of those that had missed out on the boats that sailed by earlier (also missed the cheaper ECs), we can blame no one except reading more, understanding more and taking action when it’s right.

That’s the purpose of this thread, but DYODD peeps.

"Missed the boat" concept is frequently used by agents to instill fear in buyers. I do not support this phrase at all. Buy when you need a home and can afford investment properties.

Prices from 2013 to 2017 were stagnant and there was no oversupply. What were you waiting for? For a crash?

That said, the sudden 20-40% spike in new launch prices is indeed very hard to digest and hard to reason.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
Just like overestimating the price they can set, is also common. I am sure they go through the relevant discussions with their shareholders before setting the price. Since they are happy with the price they set, the buyers are happy to buy at the price they set, developers laughing their way to the banks, buyer smiling when opening their wallets, everyone happy, what is wrong with this?

I am sure the companies will not mind when news come out that the projects they launch are selling like hot cakes. It is a good thing is it not?
Sell like hot cakes is better. Like any business, cash in pocket is always better than potential cash from assets not sold.

Cannot sell fast = increased marketing costs plus lesser cash in bank for developers. Hold too long also kenna absd.

This time round, it shows that first timers appetite is mainly for 3 bedrooms. The next ec launch is coming soon in jan 2020 and Sumang needs to up its game to attract more first timers to fork out 1.5 mil + stamp duty for remaining quota.

How? Tell everyone again. Only ec launch in 2019 leh! Come buy leh! Come come! Next ec sure more expensive, come buy!

As the next ec developer, how would you then counter that marketing effort?

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
"Missed the boat" concept is frequently used by agents to instill fear in buyers. I do not support this phrase at all. Buy when you need a home and can afford investment properties.

Prices from 2013 to 2017 were stagnant and there was no oversupply. What were you waiting for? For a crash?

That said, the sudden 20-40% spike in new launch prices is indeed very hard to digest and hard to reason.

In stocks, there is something called pump and dump.

Pump and make everyone fomo.
Then dump... cuz prices are now "cheap".

It's really interesting

josephcws

Reaction score
Sell like hot cakes is better. Like any business, cash in pocket is always better than potential cash from assets not sold.

Cannot sell fast = increased marketing costs plus lesser cash in bank for developers. Hold too long also kenna absd.

This time round, it shows that first timers appetite is mainly for 3 bedrooms. The next ec launch is coming soon in jan 2020 and Sumang needs to up its game to attract more first timers to fork out 1.5 mil + stamp duty for remaining quota.

How? Tell everyone again. Only ec launch in 2019 leh! Come buy leh! Come come! Next ec sure more expensive, come buy!

As the next ec developer, how would you then counter that marketing effort?

I think the really funny part of this whole episode is before the balloting day, most were saying this project confirm sell fast as it is "only project this year", got a ready pool of buyers already.

After balloting day the discussion becomes the price is "right", we would not want the project to sell out as soon as it launched.

I mean the signs are all there guys, there must be a reason for everything to happen as it is.

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Haha let me bring back you back in time, when hundred palms were priced at 850psf, I am quite sure you would be one of those skeptical that the prices were too high (I can readily admit I was one of them), in comparison to your (other) 750psf or cheaper resale EC, but you would not admit.

That said, I learnt my lesson, at any time, there are always value buys in the market relative to others.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
I think the really funny part of this whole episode is before the balloting day, most were saying this project confirm sell fast as it is "only project this year", got a ready pool of buyers already.

After balloting day the discussion becomes the price is "right", we would not want the project to sell out as soon as it launched.

I mean the signs are all there guys, there must be a reason for everything to happen as it is.

Some even say 80% leh. Forum only mah.

The reasoning I still can't get is prices will go higher because developers bid land prices higher.

So it doesn't depends on buyers affordability and demand anymore?

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha let me bring back you back in time, when hundred palms were priced at 850psf, I am quite sure you would be one of those skeptical that the prices were too high (I can readily admit I was one of them), in comparison to your (other) 750psf or cheaper resale EC, but you would not admit.

That said, I learnt my lesson, at any time, there are always value buys in the market relative to others.
Not true. But anything I say now is hindsight and does not count anyway. And I wasn't eligible then anyway.

News about mrt near hundred palms has leaked months before it hundred palms was launched. Just saying.

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not true. But anything I say now is hindsight and does not count anyway. And I wasn't eligible then anyway.

News about mrt near hundred palms has leaked months before it hundred palms was launched. Just saying.

Momoeagle and Annetyu are the same person?

Last edited:

annetyu

Banned
Reaction score
In stocks, there is something called pump and dump.

Pump and make everyone fomo.
Then dump... cuz prices are now "cheap".

It's really interesting

It does seem the property market is behaving like the stock market now.

Hopefully, there is no dumping of properties because I don't want the market to crash either.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
Ah I understand. You were directing your question at Annetyu.

Sorry for the confusion ah. I talkative one, and say many things.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
It does seem the property market is behaving like the stock market now.

Hopefully, there is no dumping of properties because I don't want the market to crash either.

After reviewing data for past 2 weeks due to my initial interest in sumang, I just have a gut feel that it's a good time to pump up prices and sell that bit more so that when they have to give discounts later on, they won't lose much.

Gut feel can always be wrong though. Don't take my word for it.

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone who is not bullish about the market is Annetyu :o

Lol these jokers

I am not bullish, I am open to listening to facts and figures.

For someone who has not entered, why would I want to be bullish (I rather be hoping your residence can be sold at a huge discount right) but neither am I here to spread fear.

I am just stating the honest truth that indeed I had missed the market during the good old EC days, you are open to mock at me for not taking action during the 2013-2017 period, but do note in time when you are entering the market I believe prices will be a lot higher than now.

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah I understand. You were directing your question at Annetyu.

Sorry for the confusion ah. I talkative one, and say many things.

Haha no worries, my bad, cos the questions were in reply to him or was it her.

I do agree that prices are in line with affordability, but with growing affluence it seems prices inching up. And I can openly say on highsight, I should.... it’s a never ending debate.

annetyu

Banned
Reaction score

I always felt ECs were cheap. But my family is not at all keen at those far-away locations.

.... I have no idea what #@$@#% are you talking seriously. I never knew ECs were that cheap at 750psf. It was uncle Ni who pointed it out. Rather, I was arguing that the ECs before hundred palm was above $800psf. Look at the date I joined the forum, that is when I started to feel something is wrong with the prices.

So you felt 850 was high but 1150 is ok? I see!

Honestly, I am still very doubtful whether you are serious about buying any properties. All talk but no action yet? Waiting for prices to go higher is it? I thought you "learn your lesson" alr?

Last edited:

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
I am not bullish, I am open to listening to facts and figures.

For someone who has not entered, why would I want to be bullish (I rather be hoping your residence can be sold at a huge discount right) but neither am I here to spread fear.

I am just stating the honest truth that indeed I had missed the market during the good old EC days, you are open to mock at me for not taking action during the 2013-2017 period, but do note in time when you are entering the market I believe prices will be a lot higher than now.

Only Merg91 will mock la. We all objective one.

2013 time, stocks also cheap right? Got take massive action? Yes or no also doesn't matter. Because they are still nuggets of gems here and there.

We always say hindsight is 20/20. Is how we navigate the future that's more important.

For now, I'm really interested to see how Sumang will sell the remaining 1.5mil units to first timers. I don't qualify for it of course.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.