Air purifier? - Part 2

kenplicity

Reaction score
A pic says a thousand words. Won’t say not true hepa = no filter.

Also tested whether “clean” air out using PM2.5 detector previously, compared with my other non Xiaomi brand AP to see if any much difference before I’m convinced and switched all over to XiaoMi Pro.

Not because they are no good, or XiaoMi is better ... but purely because those original filters of my previous non XiaoMi APs are relatively too expensive locally. Not practical for my situation. At least XiaoMi Pro is good enough for my family.

My XiaoMi AP filter despite left 37%�

KNP6S0y.jpg
Xiaomi filter cheap?

Lucky177

Master Member
Reaction score
Comparatively cheaper if buy from eg qoo10 during promo, with cart coupons and Qpoints, ShopBack cashback and 2% gift card etc. (Assuming compare “locally” ) and main thing is yet still powerful enough for my situation to clean the surrounding air.

Disclaimer: I’m just comparing with those non XiaoMi APs I had been using in the past before I decided to change. One of them is Honeywell.

Xiaomi filter cheap?

Last edited:

wizardundo

Reaction score
1st - 18th August

▶️Authorised Mi Store - Funan
▶️Authorised Mi Store - Bedok Mall
▶️Authorised Mi Store - VivoCity
▶️Authorised Mi Store - Jem
▶️Tiong Bahru Plaza
▶️Bukit Panjang Plaza
▶️Heartland Mall Kovan
▶️Eastpoint Mall

- - -

Air purifier 2S - $195
Air Purifier Pro - $245

pZB2jux.jpg

Jimbeam89

Reaction score
Anyone bought their air purifier directly from Japan?

Sharp models are alot cheaper in JP than SG, I matched it with a voltage converter from Taobao.

Currently using the KI-HS50-W , which has 25k plasma cluster ions compared to the 7k models, using for close to 2 months now, never feel any significant difference though with the so called high ion level..

Vodkilla

Reaction score
PB9L02y.jpg

Hi gurus,

I have been sick alot recently (cough flu sore throat etc) and recently kenna sinus infection which have not recovered after a week.

I suspected it was because of a weird smell coming out from my aircon but brushed it aside for months.

Due to my infection, I bought a Xiaomi Air Purifer 2S to try out. Initially AQI was quite ok around 20+ when I first used the machine for a while.

When I turned on my aircon, the weird smell came again and the AQI shot up to 320+ (even 350+ at one point).

I carried the purifer to test out all my other rooms (reading 20+) to confirm the sensor should be working properly.

My question is, is the particle sensor accurate (to show the 300+ readings)?

Next, what could have caused such hazardous air quality?

Dunno if picture is linked correctly: https://imgur.com/a/itTdvCO

Last edited:

Jimbeam89

Reaction score
PB9L02y.jpg

Hi gurus,

I have been sick alot recently (cough flu sore throat etc) and recently kenna sinus infection which have not recovered after a week.

I suspected it was because of a weird smell coming out from my aircon but brushed it aside for months.

Due to my infection, I bought a Xiaomi Air Purifer 2S to try out. Initially AQI was quite ok around 20+ when I first used the machine for a while.

When I turned on my aircon, the weird smell came again and the AQI shot up to 320+ (even 350+ at one point).

I carried the purifer to test out all my other rooms (reading 20+) to confirm the sensor should be working properly.

How long never chemical wash ur aircon liao? Try removing the filter and clean see whether it falls?

Vodkilla

Reaction score
How long never chemical wash ur aircon liao? Try removing the filter and clean see whether it falls?

last chemical wash was 4 months ago.

very hard to describe the smell also.. maybe like something burnt smell.

Last edited:

kandinsky

Master Member
Reaction score

If it's recent, could it be due to 7th mth burning? Also mild haze conditions. I have one room, outside air seeps in even though windows are closed. Partially due to gaps between the rubber seals, and gaps between the frame and the wall. Other rooms ok. When heavy burning, can get pretty bad. AP x 2 full blast whole night/day. Maybe can check your window seals in that room, whether got gaps.

Vodkilla

Reaction score
If it's recent, could it be due to 7th mth burning? Also mild haze conditions. I have one room, outside air seeps in even though windows are closed. Partially due to gaps between the rubber seals, and gaps between the frame and the wall. Other rooms ok. When heavy burning, can get pretty bad. AP x 2 full blast whole night/day. Maybe can check your window seals in that room, whether got gaps.

not recent, have been going on at least 3 months and the smell comes from aircon for sure as the smell only comes when i turn it on. my room somehow unaffected by 7th month burning.

Reaction score
not recent, have been going on at least 3 months and the smell comes from aircon for sure as the smell only comes when i turn it on. my room somehow unaffected by 7th month burning.

For sure the aircon is the culprit according to your post. You need to check it immediately to prevent any more harm to your health. It is not common in Singapore to have that high number.

When you on the aircon, normally the AQI will drop over time due to closed-environment. the air will keep get filtered again and again. If the AQI does not drop, the aircon is the culprit as it keeps introducing the bad air to the room

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PB9L02y.jpg

Hi gurus,

Not saying that it's 100%, but there is a high possibility that it's a mold allergy/mold infestation from your FCU.

The chronic allergy started small, then worsened, brought about inflammation that is chronic, and you then were also susceptible to secondary "normal" infections and sickness.

You might have recovered (immunity usually fluctuates due to many factors eg work, family etc), then fall ill again, then recover.......etc.

The AP with high air change hour is a good option, but since you only have the Xiaomi 2S, it is not enough. Remember, you are probably doing around 100 m2/hr airflow in reality from it during sleeping time, never mind that it's rated for 323 m3/hr coz that's on paper/theory, since 99.9% of the time in reality you are not going to be using that speed.

Say you have a 20 m2 room, the ceiling is 2.7m, the volume is 54 m3. Deduct maybe 30% coz of furnitures in the room, you are left with 38 m3.
You need to do at least 5 Air changes per hr for it to be really significant in effect, so we are talking abut 200 m3/hr.
In fact for these stuff, i'd really recommend at least 8 ACH, that is 304 m3/hr airflow.
That is a Samsung AX40 operating at full fan speed, this unit is among the quietest at full fan speed (45 dBA only at 320 m3/hr), but still those who are a bit sensitive to noise during sleeping still need to position it creatively away from the bed sleeping positions.

If you really think this is a possible source for your issue, then try to learn how to DIY clean your aircon FCU. Slowly learn.
If you do not like to DIY, then embark on cleaning it professionally with chemical washing 3X a year, at least. I'd recommend 4-5X yearly if possible.

Do not use General aircon servicing, they do not work in your case.
Do not use Chemical Wash with alkaline coil cleaners, there are Chemical Wash with detergent/solvent cleaners that are not caustic and won't harm your aluminum evaporator coils. Also, some service providers do a better and more thorough job than others, using high pressure water (just high enough pressure that won't damage your fins).

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...diy-clean-your-aircon-blower-5091470-221.html

So yeah, if you do not DIY, esp if you have multiple aircon units in your home, it's going to get pretty expensive.

PS. Disregard the Xiaomi 2S sensor. If you wanna play, go to Taobao and get those laser particle counter meters. They are still are pretty good in sensitivity, go and read the past 10-20 pages, i posted some stuff.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

That characteristic smell is due to mold re-infestation, when you start to turn on the AC and it comes within 30-60 seconds, and it goes away 5-10 mins away. Same for the car AC.
This is a common issue.

Different pax have different reactions to this.

Your chemical wash done was not sufficient/in depth. I suspect that chemical wash was done with alkaline coil cleaner too. (I was recommending solvent/detergent based cleaners, which are actually milder than the alkaline coil cleaner).

That means you'd need chemical overhaul where the tech would dismantle the coil and every part of the FCU, use alkaline coil cleaner to whack all the parts thoroughly coz everything is exposed, and then flush the caustic alkaline coil cleaner away which is only possible coz everything is exposed. Else any alkaline coil cleaner is left unflushed, those copper pipes and aluminum evaporator coil fins are gonna react and be corroded over time, leading to slow and chronic gas leaks (really $$$ issue). So do engage a proper contactor if you wanna do this, cannot skimp on the cost one.
Also, since the evaporator coil is dismounted, there is always this accidental gas leak risk coz the copper refrigerant pipes are disconnected and reconnected after every time. You cannot do this chemical overhaul too many times, it's too risky and the risk goes up with lousy AC techs who does a lemon job.

Or you need a service provider that can do a very proper and thorough job with solvent/detergent cleaners + regular basis (preferably with high pressure water).
There are vendors offering chemical wash as low as $55, and there are those who charges $90.
And General servicing for $20.
No prizes for guessing.

Learn to DIY lah, with the proper tools and cleaners. Need some small investment in this as well, cannot escape one. Either that or you pay for the services, good ones from good service providers.

Guys! You all got DIY clean your aircon blower ?

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...diy-clean-your-aircon-blower-5091470-221.html

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no cheap and easy way to solve the allergic reactions due to mold from the AC FCU.

Using air purifiers with replacement filters from TB + DIY aircon cleaning, preferably with a vario pressure pressure washer and 90 deg tip, or a 12V high pressure pump with 90 deg tip and solvent/detergent cleaners, once every 2-3 months, is already the cheapest method.

Either that or you operate 2 or even 3 air purifiers to get the necessary 8-10X ACH, Air changes per hour.

If you can DIY a fair bit, you can get by with a Xiaomi 2S operating at just 120 m3/hr airflow or something.

Jimbeam89

Reaction score
That characteristic smell is due to mold re-infestation, when you start to turn on the AC and it comes within 30-60 seconds, and it goes away 5-10 mins away. Same for the car AC.
This is a common issue.

Different pax have different reactions to this.

Your chemical wash done was not sufficient/in depth. I suspect that chemical wash was done with alkaline coil cleaner too. (I was recommending solvent/detergent based cleaners, which are actually milder than the alkaline coil cleaner).

That means you'd need chemical overhaul where the tech would dismantle the coil and every part of the FCU, use alkaline coil cleaner to whack all the parts thoroughly coz everything is exposed, and then flush the caustic alkaline coil cleaner away which is only possible coz everything is exposed. Else any alkaline coil cleaner is left unflushed, those copper pipes and aluminum evaporator coil fins are gonna react and be corroded over time, leading to slow and chronic gas leaks (really $$$ issue). So do engage a proper contactor if you wanna do this, cannot skimp on the cost one.
Also, since the evaporator coil is dismounted, there is always this accidental gas leak risk coz the copper refrigerant pipes are disconnected and reconnected after every time. You cannot do this chemical overhaul too many times, it's too risky and the risk goes up with lousy AC techs who does a lemon job.

Or you need a service provider that can do a very proper and thorough job with solvent/detergent cleaners + regular basis (preferably with high pressure water).
There are vendors offering chemical wash as low as $55, and there are those who charges $90.
And General servicing for $20.
No prizes for guessing.

Learn to DIY lah, with the proper tools and cleaners. Need some small investment in this as well, cannot escape one. Either that or you pay for the services, good ones from good service providers.

Guys! You all got DIY clean your aircon blower ?

If there's a funny smell only first 1 minute of opening and disappear? Plus my air purifier shows green pm2.5 hovering 20 and below would it still be mould??

Runez

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone using sharp purifier with charcoal filter?

mine recently producing strong charcoal herbal smell :eek:

is it normal?

lingwilly

Reaction score
Hi, I noticed export sets are much cheaper than local set. Any noticeable reason to tell the difference?

Also would we be able to connect to sg if we use local? I'm hearing need to connect to China still

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.