help with kyushu itinenary

ravenintiate

Reaction score
hi guys need some help with my 8D7N Kyushu travelling route... using the JR North Kyushu pass...got a rough ideas of the attractions i want to see each location and need abit of advices on the travelling routes.

Day 1: Land at Fukuoka- tour around city - Night at Hakata
Day 2: Take shinkan to Nagasaki- tour around city - Night at Nagasaki
Day 3: Take shinkan to Kumamoto- Night at Kumamoto
Day 4: Mt Aso day trip - Night at Kumamoto
Day 5: Shinkan to Hakata then limited express to Beppu- Night at Beppu
Day 6: Day trip to Yufuin - Leave for Hakata in the evening - Night at Hakata
Day 7: Day trip to Daizafu - Night at Hakata
Day 8: Early morning flight back to sg

should i stay 2 nights or kumamoto? or at day 4 leave for Beppu? i did a bit of googling is there bus from aso to beppu or any other faster way? not planning to drive. thank you all for advices

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shinkan? Shinkansen?

Nagasaki don't have shinkansen for you to take need limited express

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
Sounds like nice trip ...

>should i stay 2 nights or kumamoto?

Not sure you want to stay 2 nights Kumamoto because main attraction there (castle) is still closed for earthquake repair.

>bus from aso to beppu or any other faster way?

You can take Aso-Boy train from Aso to Beppu. It's a fun way to travel, especially if you got kids.

Enjoy.

biggirl20

Master Member
Reaction score
planning kyushu trip too, wonder if the jr pass include shinkansen rides...

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
planning kyushu trip too, wonder if the jr pass include shinkansen rides...

Yes. And if you buy a JR Kyushu Pass online (not a Japan Rail Pass) you can make reservations for shinkansen before you even arrive in Japan. This useful if you are coming during peak travel time. If you don't plan to make advance reservation you can just buy JR Kyushu Pass when you arrive here.

korosensei

Reaction score
hi guys need some help with my 8D7N Kyushu travelling route... using the JR North Kyushu pass...got a rough ideas of the attractions i want to see each location and need abit of advices on the travelling routes.

Day 1: Land at Fukuoka- tour around city - Night at Hakata
Day 2: Take shinkan to Nagasaki- tour around city - Night at Nagasaki
Day 3: Take shinkan to Kumamoto- Night at Kumamoto
Day 4: Mt Aso day trip - Night at Kumamoto
Day 5: Shinkan to Hakata then limited express to Beppu- Night at Beppu
Day 6: Day trip to Yufuin - Leave for Hakata in the evening - Night at Hakata
Day 7: Day trip to Daizafu - Night at Hakata
Day 8: Early morning flight back to sg

should i stay 2 nights or kumamoto? or at day 4 leave for Beppu? i did a bit of googling is there bus from aso to beppu or any other faster way? not planning to drive. thank you all for advices

There are buses from Aso to yufuin and beppu.

you might consider that rather than go back to kumamoto (day 4/5)

biggirl20

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes. And if you buy a JR Kyushu Pass online (not a Japan Rail Pass) you can make reservations for shinkansen before you even arrive in Japan. This useful if you are coming during peak travel time. If you don't plan to make advance reservation you can just buy JR Kyushu Pass when you arrive here.

is there limited number of rides for shinkansen? or i can take for all 3 days with 2 trips per day if i buy a 3-day pass.

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
just noticed there is a cap on no of reservation!

i haven't noticed for JR all Japan pass, hope i didn't missed any of T&C

You're right, there is a cap on number of seat reservation but the number of train journeys you can take is unlimited. It's a pretty high cap anyway (16 times for 5-day pass) so most people won't be affected by it - taking more than 16 trips in 5 days sounds pretty exhausting! Also prices are reasonable for any seat reservations above this cap:

https://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/pdf/railpass_en_170131.pdf

BTW, all this info is for JR Kyushu Pass only. We only operate here in Kyushu so I don't have latest info for Japan Rail Pass I'm afraid. Others here maybe know about this.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's about 3 reservation per day, won't say that's a high cap. May be enough for most but I usually make at least 4 reservations daily. Anyway will be using all Japan pass as 5 day isn't enough for me anyways lolz

But I still think best way to enjoy Kyushu is self drive
You're right, there is a cap on number of seat reservation but the number of train journeys you can take is unlimited. It's a pretty high cap anyway (16 times for 5-day pass) so most people won't be affected by it - taking more than 16 trips in 5 days sounds pretty exhausting! Also prices are reasonable for any seat reservations above this cap:

https://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/pdf/railpass_en_170131.pdf

BTW, all this info is for JR Kyushu Pass only. We only operate here in Kyushu so I don't have latest info for Japan Rail Pass I'm afraid. Others here maybe know about this.

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
Anyway will be using all Japan pass as 5 day isn't enough for me anyways lolz

Yes, that makes sense. The irritating problem is that advance reservation for JR Kyushu trains (I mean, online reservation before arrival in Japan) can only be made with JR Kyushu Pass and not all Japan pass (Japan Rail Pass).

But I still think best way to enjoy Kyushu is self drive

100% agree, always recommend this to Kyushu visitors.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.