How to be admitted into SIT Occupational Therapy

snoozex

Reaction score
Thank you. I hold an engineering degree but doesn't work in an engineering industry.

I found out that there's therapy assistant jobs which assist OT or PT professionals to carry out tasks. I want to try out similar jobs so that i can decide if I want to go for the career conversion course (healthcare).

I guess you should know about the PCP programme based on what you have written. Good luck!

Otstudent

Reaction score
Thank you. I hold an engineering degree but doesn't work in an engineering industry.

I found out that there's therapy assistant jobs which assist OT or PT professionals to carry out tasks. I want to try out similar jobs so that i can decide if I want to go for the career conversion course (healthcare).

Hello there.

Snoonex is correct, it's a very different job scope. But it might give you insights that you wouldn't on the surface.

xXxJavierxXx

Reaction score
Hello there.

Snoonex is correct, it's a very different job scope. But it might give you insights that you wouldn't on the surface.

Thank you otstudent. What type of work is more related to OT so that i can learn more about the job before applying PCP? Getting some related experience may help in the interview too?

Otstudent

Reaction score
Thank you otstudent. What type of work is more related to OT so that i can learn more about the job before applying PCP? Getting some related experience may help in the interview too?

Hello friend

I suggest taking up a therapy assistant job, that's the closest job you can get to seeing OT first hand. But it's good to do your homework and select organisations that actually has OT and will likely rotate you to serve in the OT department. This job itself won't guarantee you that you'll work with OTs, unless the job title specifically states "Occupational therapy assistant". Even so, very few organisations have such specific job roles, most TAs assist with therapy, whether PT OT or ST.

Hope this helps!

curiousstudent

Reaction score
Hello! I am a year 2 health science (nursing) student with gpa 3.54. I am keen to pursue OT in SIT after graduation :) I am also interested in taking a scholarship with either MOH or hospitals when im in university. however I am worried that:
- my gpa will not be good enough for the scholarship
- I will be rejected (from SIT and the scholarship) as I dont have an awesome portfolio as I dont participate in any CCAs in poly and I only have a leadership role as the President of my CCA in secondary school
also, as a nursing student I go for frequent attachments in hospitals so I have a rough idea on how OT is like but I hope to know from an OT's perspective on how OT is like. I know what are the future path for a nurse is like and the different route a nurse (nurse educator, nurse manager etc) can take when they are older but what about an OT?

Last edited:

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hello! I am a year 2 health science (nursing) student with gpa 3.54. I am keen to pursue OT in SIT after graduation :) I am also interested in taking a scholarship with either MOH or hospitals when im in university. however I am worried that:
- my gpa will not be good enough for the scholarship
- I will be rejected (from SIT and the scholarship) as I dont have an awesome portfolio as I dont participate in any CCAs in poly and I only have a leadership role as the President of my CCA in secondary school
also, as a nursing student I go for frequent attachments in hospitals so I have a rough idea on how OT is like but I hope to know from an OT's perspective on how OT is like. I know what are the future path for a nurse is like and the different route a nurse (nurse educator, nurse manager etc) can take when they are older but what about an OT?

Hello friend!

Glad you're interested! While you're still year 2 (in I'm presuming poly?), you still have time before you graduate, so your grade now might not be the same (hope for the better of course!). That being said, grades is not the only thing that qualifies you for the course, the admissions will look at other factors too. One big factor is your personality; do you show the personality for OT in your application? I know of people with really high GPAs that got rejected because they did not demonstrate the right personality or attitude in the write up or the interviews. So you might want to consider what that personality is and if you have it, not just to get into the course, but if this career is for you.

I can't say much for the scholarship, because I think you might want to broaden your search for sponsorships. MOHH is the most popular scholarship provider, but there are others like AIC or NCSS that provide scholarships. One factor to consider carefully is what environment you would like to start working in, because those scholarships come with usually a 4 year bond. Those first 4 years will be what shapes your career, so you should carefully consider what you'd like. Be more mindful of what happens after the scholarship than how to get it, look further you know what I mean? It's true the scholarship providers look at your CCA records, but your participation outside of school is also considered. Do some volunteering anywhere, whether it's at Youth Corp or helping your neighborhood GRC or the nearby Senior Activity Centre. All those play a big role in the selection.

Tldr: If you think you don't have enough to get what you need, compensate for it by doing what matters. Hope this helps, all the best!

matchahojicha

Reaction score
Hi there! I wanted to find out more about the Therapy Assistant role. Also, do you have any PCP students in your cohort and how big is it usually? :)

curiousstudent

Reaction score
hello! thank you so much for replying :)
yes I am aware of the bond that I will need to fulfil upon graduation if I take up a scholarship! thank you so much for your advice :) I will look up on the scholarships you've mentioned about too!

may I know how will the path be like for OTs for eg, in nursing we can branch out to teaching - Nurse Educator or management - Nurse Manager (Sisters), how will it be like for OTs?
and how is the salary of a OT working in Singapore?, more specifically OT working in hospitals. I know that it might be different for each hospital but what is the baseline or minimum of an OT's salary?

thankyou so much for replying me in my first post! :)

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi there! I wanted to find out more about the Therapy Assistant role. Also, do you have any PCP students in your cohort and how big is it usually? :)

Hi! That's quite a large topic, what would you like to know specifically about the role? It's a job that assists a therapist in a rehab setting, and most receive the job after going through a WSQ course for therapy assistants.

There are PCP students yes, there are probably less than 10 in our cohort!

bsastor

Reaction score
How are the PCP students doing so far?
I really got my hopes up when they advertised this PCP thing but didn't even get an interview. Must be my personal statement didn't impress.

matchahojicha

Reaction score
Hi! That's quite a large topic, what would you like to know specifically about the role? It's a job that assists a therapist in a rehab setting, and most receive the job after going through a WSQ course for therapy assistants.

There are PCP students yes, there are probably less than 10 in our cohort!

Hello thanks for your reply! Was wondering if it is mandatory to do the WSQ course to get the therapy assistant role? Is your role you posted about still open? Or what organisations would you advise applying for? Do let me know if pm is better! I am a mid career switcher, and would like to gain as much experience and learnings as possible before applying for the course at SIT next year. Also, do you have any advice on increasing the chances for applying for the course, as well as PCP?

bluskiie

Reaction score
Hi may I know if there is a fee for shadowing or externship in the hospital? Because I emailed sengkang general hospital for shadowing and they told me that the application fee for shadowing is $535 including gst. They do not have a fixed department shadowing but more of a 3 day shadowing in different department. However I still find the fees to be ridiculous though.

WingZer0

Reaction score
Hi may I know if there is a fee for shadowing or externship in the hospital? Because I emailed sengkang general hospital for shadowing and they told me that the application fee for shadowing is $535 including gst. They do not have a fixed department shadowing but more of a 3 day shadowing in different department. However I still find the fees to be ridiculous though.

See this for NUH. It should be free.

https://www.nuhs.edu.sg/education/students/attachments/Pages/default.aspx

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdO22pEFdi3XlukgcS4OmpcCi2IrbJ9eddUF-0hwr-0LefILw/viewform

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hello thanks for your reply! Was wondering if it is mandatory to do the WSQ course to get the therapy assistant role? Is your role you posted about still open? Or what organisations would you advise applying for? Do let me know if pm is better! I am a mid career switcher, and would like to gain as much experience and learnings as possible before applying for the course at SIT next year. Also, do you have any advice on increasing the chances for applying for the course, as well as PCP?

Hello friend

It isn't mandatory, but it would definitely add weight to your job application. Employment policies vary from company to company. I'd advise applying for jobs at community settings, especially at VWOs that are still expanding, those need all the help they can get. For applications, make sure your write up shows the personality of an OT, if that doesn't reflect the right characteristics, they won't consider your other accomplishments. All the best!

PS. Sorry for the late reply, school's been busy and tough, but that's something we all aim for right?

Otstudent

Reaction score

Hi there

I don't know much about sengkang hospital, but that fee is unbelievable! There are other options that are free

rhxhsng

Reaction score
hello otstudent! really thankful that there is this thread here to help people who are interested in OT :")))) I am currently a JC2 student and i'm thinking of pursuing OT in SIT after I graduate! Currently, I have a few concerns that's bothering me and I wonder if you can help me with them,,,

- regarding the application to the OT course in SIT do we have to write personal statement or anything of that sort? what are the things that we need to submit when we apply?
- regarding job shadowing, is it common for applicants to have job shadowing experience and if we do not have any job shadowing experience will be less likely to be accepted into the course?
- how are the OT lessons in SIT conducted? and also is the OT cohort very competitive?
- how many JC students does SIT take in for OT? is there a fixed percentage or something?

Last edited:

Otstudent

Reaction score
hello otstudent! really thankful that there is this thread here to help people who are interested in OT :")))) I am currently a JC2 student and i'm thinking of pursuing OT in SIT after I graduate! Currently, I have a few concerns that's bothering me and I wonder if you can help me with them,,,

- regarding the application to the OT course in SIT do we have to write personal statement or anything of that sort? what are the things that we need to submit when we apply?
- regarding job shadowing, is it common for applicants to have job shadowing experience and if we do not have any job shadowing experience will be less likely to be accepted into the course?
- how are the OT lessons in SIT conducted? and also is the OT cohort very competitive?
- how many JC students does SIT take in for OT? is there a fixed percentage or something?

Hello friend! Thanks for asking this, it's been awhile since this thread was active but I'm always happy to share!

Application into SIT (or most unis in general) will need a personal statement, it can vary in topics but my application statement was about why I wanted to matriculate into SIT OT. I've personally asked a prof of mine what they look for, and what's really important is that you show the personality of an OT. So what is the personality of an OT? I think I've repeated that a few times in this thread, so I'll leave you to dig for your answers ;) On top of the statement, you'll need to submit the usual stuff, like your result transcripts, certificates of any relevant course or awards, and the contact info of any appraisers if you have. After the application date closes, your appraisers will receive a link in their email to write a statement about you, so it would be good to find someone, like a lecturer who knows and can vouch for you, or an in-charge of a volunteer programme. Recommendations from any sort of supervisor certainly helps you application!

Job shadowing is NOT a prerequisite, meaning your application will not be booted if you didn't go for one, but what you learn at a job shadowing might give you insight to what the role of an OT is and the qualities that one need to be an OT, and that might help in your application. But again, not necessary, but really useful. It also helps you decide if you really want the job or not. If you're really proactive and did make a good impression, maybe you might even make friends with OTs there who might even agree to be your appraiser! I can't say if participating in job shadowing intrinsically increases your chances, because attending one doesn't give you a certificate or give you some record to better your application, but the knowledge and experiences you'll have will always be good.

Take note, however, such job shadowing is only good in an application IF your application is good (i.e. Good academic results, good personal statement), because if your submission is shaky, no amount of job shadowing will be of use, just take note.

Our curriculum is a mixture of lectures and practical lessons, and many hours of clinical attachments where we take up clinician roles. Now in this pandemic, most of our lessons are online but we still have to go back to school for practicals, because OT is a very hands on vocation.

If you use JC or Poly as a benchmark for competitiveness, no, OT cohorts aren't competitive among peers. That is because:
1. We're a helping profession. We assist others regain meaning and function, so how can we be so if we're busy fighting each other?
2. The person we gotta be competitive against is ourselves, because this course is difficult and our future clients are depending on us, so we cannot afford to not constantly better ourselves.
3. This is university level where it's not like there's a limited amount of OT job placements. Graduate, get registered, and you become an OT, no matter how better others do.

I think there's a very even mix of poly and JC students in OT. I don't think there's really a percentage of each type of applicant, but how you do in the applications matter more. I know I said OT isn't competitive, but the applications are VERY competitive! I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I believe you don't have to worry about JC/Poly demographic quotas if your application is solid.

All the best to you my friend! Feel free to PM me if you need any personal question answered :) All the best!

Last edited:

SAHMSA

Reaction score
Hello friend! Thanks for asking this, it's been awhile since this thread was active but I'm always happy to share!

Application into SIT (or most unis in general) will need a personal statement, it can vary in topics but my application statement was about why I wanted to matriculate into SIT OT. I've personally asked a prof of mine what they look for, and what's really important is that you show the personality of an OT. So what is the personality of an OT? I think I've repeated that a few times in this thread, so I'll leave you to dig for your answers ;) On top of the statement, you'll need to submit the usual stuff, like your result transcripts, certificates of any relevant course or awards, and the contact info of any appraisers if you have. After the application date closes, your appraisers will receive a link in their email to write a statement about you, so it would be good to find someone, like a lecturer who knows and can vouch for you, or an in-charge of a volunteer programme. Recommendations from any sort of supervisor certainly helps you application!

Job shadowing is NOT a prerequisite, meaning your application will not be booted if you didn't go for one, but what you learn at a job shadowing might give you insight to what the role of an OT is and the qualities that one need to be an OT, and that might help in your application. But again, not necessary, but really useful. It also helps you decide if you really want the job or not. If you're really proactive and did make a good impression, maybe you might even make friends with OTs there who might even agree to be your appraiser! I can't say if participating in job shadowing intrinsically increases your chances, because attending one doesn't give you a certificate or give you some record to better your application, but the knowledge and experiences you'll have will always be good.

Take note, however, such job shadowing is only good in an application IF your application is good (i.e. Good academic results, good personal statement), because if your submission is shaky, no amount of job shadowing will be of use, just take note.

Our curriculum is a mixture of lectures and practical lessons, and many hours of clinical attachments where we take up clinician roles. Now in this pandemic, most of our lessons are online but we still have to go back to school for practicals, because OT is a very hands on vocation.

If you use JC or Poly as a benchmark for competitiveness, no, OT cohorts aren't competitive among peers. That is because:
1. We're a helping profession. We assist others regain meaning and function, so how can we be so if we're busy fighting each other?
2. The person we gotta be competitive against is ourselves, because this course is difficult and our future clients are depending on us, so we cannot afford to not constantly better ourselves.
3. This is university level where it's not like there's a limited amount of OT job placements. Graduate, get registered, and you become an OT, no matter how better others do.

I think there's a very even mix of poly and JC students in OT. I don't think there's really a percentage of each type of applicant, but how you do in the applications matter more. I know I said OT isn't competitive, but the applications are VERY competitive! I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I believe you don't have to worry about JC/Poly demographic quotas if your application is solid.

All the best to you my friend! Feel free to PM me if you need any personal question answered :) All the best!

Hi OTstudent, thanks for sharing your experience and I'm grateful to chance upon this thread. I am thinking of applying for the PCP OT degree course for next year intake. I'm currently gathering information to decide if this course is suitable for me. I have some questions to clarify and will like to hear from your opinion.

1. I'm 39 and have been a stay at home mum for 3 years now with 3 young kids (10mths,3 yo and 5 yo), do you think my age puts me at a disadvantage as I understand that those who are older have a very very slim chance of getting into the course? Besides, I'm unemployed, does it reduces my chances further?

2. I used to teach children with Autism and have always wanted to do more for these children. I wanted to take up the course to be able to work with children with special needs (other than Autism). My passion is not in the elderly, will it affects my chances too?

3. With 3 young kids to care for currently, do you think the course load will be too taxing?

4. Due to covid, I'm unable to do any volunteering jobs at the hospitals. Should I try to apply for the therapist assistant course first?

What's your best advices given my situation? Appreciate your time and look forward for your reply.

Thank you in advance.

Otstudent

Reaction score
Hi OTstudent, thanks for sharing your experience and I'm grateful to chance upon this thread. I am thinking of applying for the PCP OT degree course for next year intake. I'm currently gathering information to decide if this course is suitable for me. I have some questions to clarify and will like to hear from your opinion.

1. I'm 39 and have been a stay at home mum for 3 years now with 3 young kids (10mths,3 yo and 5 yo), do you think my age puts me at a disadvantage as I understand that those who are older have a very very slim chance of getting into the course? Besides, I'm unemployed, does it reduces my chances further?

2. I used to teach children with Autism and have always wanted to do more for these children. I wanted to take up the course to be able to work with children with special needs (other than Autism). My passion is not in the elderly, will it affects my chances too?

3. With 3 young kids to care for currently, do you think the course load will be too taxing?

4. Due to covid, I'm unable to do any volunteering jobs at the hospitals. Should I try to apply for the therapist assistant course first?

What's your best advices given my situation? Appreciate your time and look forward for your reply.

Thank you in advance.

Hello friend! Happy that you're passionate about helping others with disabilities, always good to start with something!

Good question with regards to admission and age. I truly do not know if that will restrict your chances, though we do have a few coursemates in their 30s. I don't think it's impossible, but I cannot guarantee an equal chance of admission. I believe the admission criteria is mostly based on the quality of your application. I'm also not sure about how current unemployment will affect the application, but like mentioned, what matters is what you put in your application. The fact that you've worked with kids with disabilities might be a boon for you.

That being said, lots of coursemates here have their eyes set on paediatrics too. OT is very holistic, and it's okay to want to be a pediatric OT. I don't think that will affect your application, in fact I think that might help. Just note that majority of the course will be about skills and knowledge that are not specific to an age group, so if you do enter, I hope you won't be disappointed if most of your studies here are related to other disability groups! However do go with an open mind, maybe you'll like working with other age groups after your 4 years in OT ;)

Another excellent question about coping. I really wish I could say I had time for a lot of things, but I don't. This course is heavy in its demands, and that's an important consideration. I imagine there must be much to take care of with your young children; in a few years they would be enrolling in primary schools and there's much for a mother to do. I don't advocate for crushing your hopes and dreams in lieu of fulfilling your role to your family, but I do warn you that this course requires it's sacrifices of time. I'm just a student without a spouse or children and I'm usually very busy, I imagine it would be even more taxing with growing children. Just to be cognisant.

With regards to job placements, you could apply for these jobs, I'm sure there's no shortage of healthcare worker jobs in this time. All again with the amount of time you're willing to invest into this career. It's a cost effective idea too, because it's a paying job still, regardless whether you enter the course or not.

I hope this answers your questions, I apologize if I didn't! All the best to you!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.