Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair

Reaction score
My Ikea Marcus office chair reached its life span after many years. Initially, I was just looking for an ordinary mesh chair and almost pull the trigger on a UMD High End Fully Ergonomic Full Mesh Chair Modern Executive Chair ( A8 & A9 ) (3 Years Warranty/Free Installation) $299.00 on Lazada. Then I thought that I should do some research.

After I read through this thread and other related threads on Herman Miller, I decided to hunt for a used HM Aeron Classic with fully loaded options.

Took me 3 days of hunting but I managed to find a 2015 Herman Miller Aeron fully loaded at a decent price of $730. It looks almost brand new too! Imagine after using for another 7-8 years, I may still be able to sell at $400 thereabouts. Can't beat this value.

Also added Engineered Now Mesh Fully Adjustable Headrest at $240. I must say this chair is the most comfortable that I have ever sat on. The quality, comfort and flexibility is just damn shiok. Never pay so much for a chair but I am very pleased with this purchase (gave myself a pat on the back).

Nice I also prefer mesh chair

Sent from Sony H8166 using GAGT

mmmbop!

Reaction score
thanks for this! will give it a shot. Separately, I'm quite intrigued by the forward tilt feature that seems to be quite useful for working on a computer. But I'm not sure if I've activated it successfully on my chair. My tilt limiter lever sometimes also does not move up all the way. Anyway, how do I know whether my chair is in forward tilt mode? Have taken a photo but unfortunately am unable to link it for some reason hmm.

runningman.snsd

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Ikea Marcus office chair reached its life span after many years. Initially, I was just looking for an ordinary mesh chair and almost pull the trigger on a UMD High End Fully Ergonomic Full Mesh Chair Modern Executive Chair ( A8 & A9 ) (3 Years Warranty/Free Installation) $299.00 on Lazada. Then I thought that I should do some research.

After I read through this thread and other related threads on Herman Miller, I decided to hunt for a used HM Aeron Classic with fully loaded options.

Took me 3 days of hunting but I managed to find a 2015 Herman Miller Aeron fully loaded at a decent price of $730. It looks almost brand new too! Imagine after using for another 7-8 years, I may still be able to sell at $400 thereabouts. Can't beat this value.

Also added Engineered Now Mesh Fully Adjustable Headrest at $240. I must say this chair is the most comfortable that I have ever sat on. The quality, comfort and flexibility is just damn shiok. Never pay so much for a chair but I am very pleased with this purchase (gave myself a pat on the back).

Good decision, your back will thank you down the road

I’m using the same and I can say it’s top 5 purchases of my lifetime

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for this! will give it a shot. Separately, I'm quite intrigued by the forward tilt feature that seems to be quite useful for working on a computer. But I'm not sure if I've activated it successfully on my chair. My tilt limiter lever sometimes also does not move up all the way. Anyway, how do I know whether my chair is in forward tilt mode? Have taken a photo but unfortunately am unable to link it for some reason hmm.

IIRC you should be sitting on the chair when doing this adjustment.

yantao

Master Member
Reaction score
Did you buy from carousell?

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendation on mesh chair w/o the rollers; rollers are floor scratcher and table banger. And where to buy?

ahhian

Reaction score
May I know who carries Steelcase locally?

Would like to try out Gesture & Leap if they have it here

Any idea their price?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendation on mesh chair w/o the rollers; rollers are floor scratcher and table banger. And where to buy?

Herman Miller has castors which do not scratch the floor. Have to replace every few years if you are not using on a carpet as the soft plastic ring will disintegrate.

compuser

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Bought 4 of those used Aeron chairs 3 months ago. They looked like new and I thought I got a good deal.

Got one gas cylinder had a loud thud then stopped working. Don't know what happened.
Another one the tilt limiter cannot lock the angle anymore

Bought a new chair instead, then notice that the mesh for my old chairs are comparatively a little saggy. Really gimme headache.

Swiftbladez

Master Member
Reaction score
Bought 4 of those used Aeron chairs 3 months ago. They looked like new and I thought I got a good deal.

Got one gas cylinder had a loud thud then stopped working. Don't know what happened.

Bought a new chair instead, then notice that the mesh for my old chairs are comparatively a little saggy. Really gimme headache.

yeah usually those used one from company liquidation. Banks for example have plenty of these chairs. so the chairs are extensively used 5 6 days a week 8 hours average work days so yeah the wear and tear will certainly be there.

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you got it from who?

can share so we can avoid?

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think when they refurbish those chairs, they probably ordered from China those cheap gas spring. You are lucky it did not explode and kill you. :o

spencert

Reaction score
Did you buy from carousell?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes I bought from carousell. Look for blahblahblackpig. He doesn't post much. My chair so far so good no issues or regrets. He had lots of HMs to choose from.

eternalxiii

Master Member
Reaction score
I bought a used Steelcase leap v2 from local reseller. Unfortunately it is too short for me (the top of the chair can't even reach my shoulders). The lack of headrest/upper back support really makes it unusable for me. I cna't find a single third-party attachable headrest. I find it weird because I'm only 1.8m (shouldn't the reviewers who are mostly angmoh be taller than that??). The softness of the seat cushion is very good though.

Looking to sell off, anyone interested can pm me. Chair is in very good condition.

Also looking for other recommendations - no Aeron as I can't stand mesh chairs. I like to sit at slight recline around 120 degrees in front of the computer for long hours, so upper back/shoulder/neck support + soft cushion for the tailbone is essential.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought a used Steelcase leap v2 from local reseller. Unfortunately it is too short for me (the top of the chair can't even reach my shoulders). The lack of headrest/upper back support really makes it unusable for me. I cna't find a single third-party attachable headrest. I find it weird because I'm only 1.8m (shouldn't the reviewers who are mostly angmoh be taller than that??). The softness of the seat cushion is very good though.

Looking to sell off, anyone interested can pm me. Chair is in very good condition.

Also looking for other recommendations - no Aeron as I can't stand mesh chairs. I like to sit at slight recline around 120 degrees in front of the computer for long hours, so upper back/shoulder/neck support + soft cushion for the tailbone is essential.

U bought low back version? There is a high back version.

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have ikea chair but the pu starting to peel off. i think can't get pu in sg's weather.

https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/p/millberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-50339414/

Anybody can confirm if my summary from previous pages are correct?

SUMMARY:

choose 2nd hand ergonomic chairs:
Herman Miller Aeron
Steelcase leap v2
Ikea markus (mesh)?

Question:
Where to find and price -carousell?
and 2nd hand i feel quite disgusting because very hard to clean the chair?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.