Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

IzAvass

Reaction score
Hi guys , would like to seek for advice , I had taken up 2 deals with this LS due to desperate needs of cash to pay of my commitment and I have yet to make any payments and I had been ignoring calls and WhatsApp msg, do I continue to do the same or can someone please advice me on what should I do ? 🤦🏼*♂️

Last edited:

IzAvass

Reaction score
Damn seems like even if I’m going to ignore calls/WhatsApp or even change number wouldn’t help as much ..what should I do ? I do not want to lose my job.

OomphFroglet

Reaction score
You need to lodge police report. Maybe tell your company you’ve been scammed. But it all depends on how your management take it.

Damn seems like even if I’m going to ignore calls/WhatsApp or even change number wouldn’t help as much ..what should I do ? I do not want to lose my job.

seowliao

Reaction score

inform your landlord to brace for any harassment, if any

ComatLoansharkSG

Reaction score
Unlicensed Moneylenders - Loansharks - Ah Loong

Sharing personal experience with all who are experiencing troubles with UMLs aka Loansharks aka Ah Loong.

Let's start off with who they are, how they operate.

Who they are:
- mainly chinese
- usually malaysian

How they operate:
- WhatsApp text/call/video calls (dont bother taking down their name/numbers. Non are real. Spoof numbers or numbers that are no longer in use)
- Operates overseas, MY/TH, rarely in SG.
- Provides only bank account numbers and never appears in person

How to identify:
If you receive sms or whatsapp with loan promotion of extremely low rates, super easy repayment choices of weekly, biweekly, monthly or even daily, super fast approval and hassle free from documentations, these are UML aka Loansharks aka Ah Loong

Remember:
It doesn't matter if you took the loan willingly (due to financial issues) or scammed into it. In SG, it is not illegal to borrow money.
Lending money without licensing IS illegal and has no rights to demand for payment, needless to say threaten or harass.

Usual tactics:
After a few times of prompt payment (or deferments), you will start to receive approaches by other lenders, asking you to support them with a loan. If you do, you will realise what deeper **** you've gotten into.

Questions:
1) Does these lenders really have such strong finance backing to give out so much loans?
2)Are there really so many of them?
3)Do they really have so many runners and "commandos"?
Answers:
1) How they operate is to use money paid by your or other borrowers, transferring into funds for new borrowers. Hence, most of them give you different accounts to make payments.
2) Most of them operates in duo or group of 3-4. Multiple sim cards of different numbers, fake names, making you think there are many.
3) Runners/Commandos are in fact victims like yourselves. Once you are not able to pay up, they will offer you multiple ways of redeeming.
- splash paints for them ($150)
- chain houses for them ($150)
- set fire for them ($800)
- reece victim's home (foc)
- opening bank account with atm/ibanking rights given to them ($500/mth)

Above are my 2cents worth of experience and in my next post, I will share steps of what to expect and how to handle.

boyseakingforhelp

Reaction score
updates

today marks the 6th days of mia.
slowly getting my life back. unknown number only came in on the second day of the mia.
I hope everyone is doing well over this long weekend. let's us all stay strong and not let them ruin our peaceful life.
Majulah Singapura

boyseakingforhelp

Reaction score
Sharing personal experience with all who are experiencing troubles with UMLs aka Loansharks aka Ah Loong.

Let's start off with who they are, how they operate.

Who they are:
- mainly chinese
- usually malaysian

How they operate:
- WhatsApp text/call/video calls (dont bother taking down their name/numbers. Non are real. Spoof numbers or numbers that are no longer in use)
- Operates overseas, MY/TH, rarely in SG.
- Provides only bank account numbers and never appears in person

How to identify:
If you receive sms or whatsapp with loan promotion of extremely low rates, super easy repayment choices of weekly, biweekly, monthly or even daily, super fast approval and hassle free from documentations, these are UML aka Loansharks aka Ah Loong

Remember:
It doesn't matter if you took the loan willingly (due to financial issues) or scammed into it. In SG, it is not illegal to borrow money.
Lending money without licensing IS illegal and has no rights to demand for payment, needless to say threaten or harass.

Usual tactics:
After a few times of prompt payment (or deferments), you will start to receive approaches by other lenders, asking you to support them with a loan. If you do, you will realise what deeper **** you've gotten into.

Questions:
1) Does these lenders really have such strong finance backing to give out so much loans?
2)Are there really so many of them?
3)Do they really have so many runners and "commandos"?
Answers:
1) How they operate is to use money paid by your or other borrowers, transferring into funds for new borrowers. Hence, most of them give you different accounts to make payments.
2) Most of them operates in duo or group of 3-4. Multiple sim cards of different numbers, fake names, making you think there are many.
3) Runners/Commandos are in fact victims like yourselves. Once you are not able to pay up, they will offer you multiple ways of redeeming.
- splash paints for them ($150)
- chain houses for them ($150)
- set fire for them ($800)
- reece victim's home (foc)
- opening bank account with atm/ibanking rights given to them ($500/mth)

Above are my 2cents worth of experience and in my next post, I will share steps of what to expect and how to handle.
Thank you for sharing. Indeed very insightful. looking forward to your next post.

Cheers mate

ComatLoansharkSG

Reaction score
Unlicensed Moneylenders - Loansharks - Ah Loong Part II

Continuation of: Unlicensed Moneylenders - Loansharks - Ah Loong

What to expect if you stop paying them money?

At this point of time, you should have made police reports on them and advised to cut all communications with them and stop paying them. Police would also ask you for the account numbers that UML/Loansharks/Ah Loong gave you to pay them money. What police does are simply bulk freezing of accounts. Investigating each and individual account - if account holder vs user are the same person and if it is used for them to get their "profits".

TBH, this is pretty useless. UMLs don't use 1 single account for too long and on a daily basis, they clear out the cash in account. Hence, those affected are actually the poor victims. Once your account got freezed, you will need to go down to the police station for a statement, to prove that you are not UML by providing them your past 3 months bank statement, nric, atm cards. The investigation take 4months or more, to release your account, before you are able to use it again.

The moment you stop paying UML money, they will:

Step 1 -
1) non-stop call, sms, whatsapp your mobile number
2) harass your family via calls, sms, whatsapp
3) call your office to look for you, say you owe them money

Step 2 -
They will continue Step 1 + threaten to bring harm to your family (fake videos of beating up "victims", splash paint pictures, videos of fires set), make you lose your job, shame you by harassing your neighbours as well.

Step 3 -
They will start to take action by,
1) send people to your place and reece (usually KFC, PizzaHut delivery, etc)
2) knock your door to look for you and ask for money
3) send people to splash paints at your door (fyi, now they are using females to do the job. No caning to females when convicted)
4) send people to chain lock your door + set fire

You might ask if they really have people in KFC/PizzaHut/Food deliveries.
- most of the time, they will make real orders via online to your address. Hence, those are real delivery guys.

Why do they do that?
- FOC
- If nobody's at home, delivery guy will call the number they provide and the UMLs get to know nobody is around.
- If someone's at home, likelihood, you or your family will tell the delivery guy that it is a wrong order made. Delivery guy will call the number use to make order to confirm - and chances are, the UMLs will fake and request the phone to be passed over to whoever is at home and start rattling vulgarities and make you think they have strong networks - even KFC/PizzaHut/Food Delivery have their "runner"

What should you do?
- ask for the receipt (showing contact number of UML)
- snap pic of receipt if you cannot have it from delivery guy
- inform delivery guy NOT to call back the number and to go back and inform their superior not to accept orders to this address
- call 999, inform of incident - provide receipt (pic) to officer
Hopefully they could hunt them down via the live number use for making orders.

You should also,
1) seek approval from town council to install cctv
2) go to hdb website and get their recommended vendor to do installation - rather cheap, around $30 per camera. Best to have motion detection, so you dont have to glue yourself to the cctv.
Have the cameras installed at super prominent location with no blind spots.
Hopefully, anyone who comes and do the paint job, sees the camera and abort mission. Else, at least you'll have the footage to provide police.

Make sure you do not take on them, unless certain that they do not have any weapons. Self defense is legal in SG, but, inflicting injuries on them might bring you trouble too. If you use "cane", "hanger", etc, as your defense, likelihood you wont get into trouble as they are household items are not deemed as weapons (such as knives, baseball bats etc).

War against them is rather long - usually 3 to 6months or longer.

You'll just have to bare with the torment before your life gets back to normal.
Before that, just make sure you and your family stay vigilant when going out/coming back home.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Next up, I'll share on HDB flats being harassed (splash paints, etc), whether selling/renting out are legal.

ComatLoansharkSG

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. Indeed very insightful. looking forward to your next post.

Cheers mate
Hi,

Briefly read through your experience.

There are no difference between loan scammers and loansharks. They are the same fellows. 1st they try to scam you. Ask u provide details with bank account number. Giving them your bank account number, allows them to scam you by,
1) depositing a small amount of money, asking you to return a way higher amount by saying they need trial loan to tell their company how your repayment capabilities are. ********s.
2) once they have 1 cent with you, they can legitly extort u for money, threatening you with shits if you do not do what they want. Some loansharks even tell shits that loansharks are legal whereas loan scammers are not. ********s.
3) once you fall into their traps of paying them, they know that you are an easy prey to continue. Both giving real loan amounts you need and loans scams of admin fees, etc. They will even tell you licensed moneylenders or even banks also need your details plus, charging you a processing fee. ********s.

I once fell into the scam trick #1. Didn't pay them exactly the amount they asked for. Bargained both hard and soft ways. Point to note, some of them can be intimidated and some, you need to pretend a dog.

One experience I had against loanshark is slightly different. That fellow scammed others and ask the victim to deposit money into my account. Bank alerted me as victim's bank did a funds recall. I immediately called that loanshark up, scolded him like nobody's business and ended up not needing to pay him back.

Morale of the story, don't be too afraid to stand against them. 99.99%, your family and friends, even neighbours, will stand by your side.

Tell them the truth that you were being scammed. Ask for forgiveness and help. I'm sure they are willing to support you in every possible ways.

If you've cleared payments with them, you don't even have to worry they'll come after you. They have no grounds or rights to even ask for "runners". Moreover, it is not foc. They won't be that stupid to pay to harass you, knowing you're firmed on not giving in.

I'm not exactly an expert but I've been through all shits over 3 years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer with my best knowledge.

Suz120373

Reaction score
today marks the 6th days of mia.
slowly getting my life back. unknown number only came in on the second day of the mia.
I hope everyone is doing well over this long weekend. let's us all stay strong and not let them ruin our peaceful life.
Majulah Singapura
Suz120373 06:30 AM Today
Hi.. same situation here but I have paid about one or two deferments. They been calling and msging me but I didn't response .. most likely they gonna call my office today. How about you?

Suz120373

Reaction score
Pls advise

I'm super stressed and am waiting for things to happened.. can't think of anything as of now...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.