2013" Samsung Notebook

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to upgrade the harddisk to ssd or just buy a new laptop to replace it? The current processor is i3 only. The laptop currently is exteremely slow, was upgraded from w8.1 -> w7 -> w10 now.

If buying a new laptop, what is the minimum specs we are looking to futureproof it for at least 5 years? The very least i5 and SSD? Laptop is used mainly for web surfing, entertainment and some home videos editing (simple travelog)

Budget is off course - as low as possible. Portability not an issue as laptop will hardly leave home.

obichacha

Reaction score
Can consider for ThinkPad E495 with 15% discount , now base price at $730 only.
Brand new 512gb ssd for $100, 1TB ssd for from $200-400, almost 30% of brand new laptop.

Is it worthwhile to upgrade the harddisk to ssd or just buy a new laptop to replace it? The current processor is i3 only. The laptop currently is exteremely slow, was upgraded from w8.1 -> w7 -> w10 now.

If buying a new laptop, what is the minimum specs we are looking to futureproof it for at least 5 years? The very least i5 and SSD? Laptop is used mainly for web surfing, entertainment and some home videos editing (simple travelog)

Budget is off course - as low as possible. Portability not an issue as laptop will hardly leave home.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your notebook is really too old. Better to buy a new notebook with better specs. At least something like this:

https://store.hp.com/sg-en/default/laptops-tablets/hp-gaming-pavilion-15-dk0142tx-7lj27pa.html

CHipmunnkz

Reaction score
What's your Samsung laptop ram? Is it upgradable??

Posted from PCWX using POCOPHONE F1

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider for ThinkPad E495 with 15% discount , now base price at $730 only.
Brand new 512gb ssd for $100, 1TB ssd for from $200-400, almost 30% of brand new laptop.

Will stay away from AMD processor.

obichacha

Reaction score
AMD, can save money why not, since this is latest processor , against it is ThinkPad business laptop.
If many problems do you think that Lenovo will selling AMD!!!

Will stay away from AMD processor.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you can buy ssd only and reinstall windows. if spoilt can use same ssd on newer laptop

CHipmunnkz

Reaction score
you can buy ssd only and reinstall windows. if spoilt can use same ssd on newer laptop

Agree

Can consider installing Linux distro like ubuntu etc they are lighter than windows 10. Should run tasks faster than w10

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with AMD processor how come like so many ppl don't recommend it?

CHipmunnkz

Reaction score

From what I know AMD processor consume slightly more battery than intel and the benchmark score for single core processor is slightly lower than Intel.

Traditionally AMD processor has more cores than intel processor. So for multi core tasks, and performs better than Intel

obichacha

Reaction score
Because in the past AMD didn’t doing well for desktop or laptops processor.
This is overheating issue, but already many years ago. Now today is changed.
We should following the latest tech, not about the rumours says not good then blame this is bad.
After try then get the answer 😂😂😂

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
This is overheating issue, but already many years ago. Now today is changed.

That one famous Intel video of the AMD chip smoking without a heatsink managed to completely rip apart AMD's reputation.

These days in fact for crappy CPUs, I much prefer AMD because of their graphics.

Even their super low-end 2011 AMD E-450 graphics can run Dirt 3 1080p at 30fps and stream Netflix at 720p today no problem because of the GPU, good luck doing that on a similarly-priced Intel Atom from the same era.:s13:

darick_tan

Reaction score

SSD is the cheapest, you can get it done easily below $100.
But Samsung parts are not really available in the market. So if some proprietary parts goes bonks, could be a problem.

No such thing as futureproof laptop. But a i5 with SSD should be more than enough for normal usage.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.