The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros thot buying Oakley would appreciate can recommend any shops selling

Sent from Feel Song Each Day using GAGT

I got all my oakley from smartbuyglass.com... paid range from $8x to $13x (depend on models and coupon code) per pair included 1.61 clear lenses..

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thx! How long does one take to adjust to the new lenses? It's just my right lenses that sees text blur at long distance. It's day 4 of wearing the new specs.

something is not right.. go back to yr optician

Reaction score
Thx! How long does one take to adjust to the new lenses? It's just my right lenses that sees text blur at long distance. It's day 4 of wearing the new specs.

Adjusting to a new pair should take no more than 2 days. But blur at distance means degree is off. Please DO NOT get adjusted to that. Not good for your eyes.

Best to wear your current pair 1st and go back to your opticians to have the degree corrected for the new pair

Last edited:

ivxrzexc

Reaction score
Hello all, appreciate your advice on how and where to make a good pair of spectacles!

I wear the same pair entire day, for every thing (work, sports etc) hence will prefer my spectacles to be heavy duty.

2 years ago I went to JB to make a pair of spectacles, Zeiss single vision superb 1.6 with duravision blueprotect. However I made the mistake of getting a cheap frame. Frame cracked after 8 months. Went back to the same shop and got another cheap frame (not many choices as my lenses are small). Been wearing it for 1 year and would like to change as plastic coating and frame paint coming off. Lenses also scratched. I tried looking for frames to replace but because of the shape of my lenses it's difficult to find one, already asked a few shops.

Few questions:
1. Usually with such heavy usage even for a "good" pair, how long can spectacles last?
2. What brand of frames are good and can last for heavy usage? And where to get them? Online? Physical shop? Also need to be able to accommodate clip on shades, hence only metal frames I think.
3. Also read that a number of you buy frames/spectacles online, how do you do it without trying it on? What are points to take note of when shopping online?
4. Thinking of getting less expensive lenses this time, perhaps Hoya, any other recommendations?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

SongManKranji

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

happyko

Reaction score
Expert advice needed.

My wife recently spent $1k plus on new Hoya digital progressive prescription lens and a $100++ frame.
She complaint of far sighted not clear. The shop did a re-check on her vision, said the prescription was correct.
The shop then re-adjusted the frame and my wife said distance vision ok liao.
But everytime one week later, she got to go back to the shop to get the frame re-adjusted in order for the distance vision to be clear.

This is totally wrong! Can expert advise on what could be the problem?
Problem with the complexity of digital lens? Shop's prescription is off? Lens from factory is off? Or problem with the cheap $100++ frame?
Thanks in advance.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Digital progressive e.g. Hoya sync? Does the frame has nosepad or those fixed on?
Don’t fret first, after rechecking the power and if the lenses still feels uncomfortable w/adjustments, you can ask them to remake the lenses to see if it helps.
Earlier there was a user who posted, different positions the glasses are at on the face does make a small difference in terms of distance vision. There are many factors so give the shop abit more time to rectify the issue.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Expert advice needed.

My wife recently spent $1k plus on new Hoya digital progressive prescription lens and a $100++ frame.
She complaint of far sighted not clear. The shop did a re-check on her vision, said the prescription was correct.
The shop then re-adjusted the frame and my wife said distance vision ok liao.
But everytime one week later, she got to go back to the shop to get the frame re-adjusted in order for the distance vision to be clear.

This is totally wrong! Can expert advise on what could be the problem?
Problem with the complexity of digital lens? Shop's prescription is off? Lens from factory is off? Or problem with the cheap $100++ frame?
Thanks in advance.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi!
1)I seen my customers wearing their glasses for 4-5 years and still no issue. Depends heavily on user handling and lenses subjected to their personal power increment.
2)better Brands usually cost more due to quality, weight, comfort. Again, it depends on the user, how you handle. Again we seen customers with cheaper frame that can wear for many years. Don’t assume that Branded Brands e.g. p**, g** and so oh are good as many of them are just there for the Brand, but comfort of frame... no comments.
3)take note of reviews probably and feedback from our users here. Think foptics is pretty popular.

Hello all, appreciate your advice on how and where to make a good pair of spectacles!

I wear the same pair entire day, for every thing (work, sports etc) hence will prefer my spectacles to be heavy duty

2 years ago I went to JB to make a pair of spectacles, Zeiss single vision superb 1.6 with duravision blueprotect. However I made the mistake of getting a cheap frame. Frame cracked after 8 months. Went back to the same shop and got another cheap frame (not many choices as my lenses are small). Been wearing it for 1 year and would like to change as plastic coating and frame paint coming off. Lenses also scratched. I tried looking for frames to replace but because of the shape of my lenses it's difficult to find one, already asked a few shops.

Few questions:
1. Usually with such heavy usage even for a "good" pair, how long can spectacles last?
2. What brand of frames are good and can last for heavy usage? And where to get them? Online? Physical shop? Also need to be able to accommodate clip on shades, hence only metal frames I think.
3. Also read that a number of you buy frames/spectacles online, how do you do it without trying it on? What are points to take note of when shopping online?
4. Thinking of getting less expensive lenses this time, perhaps Hoya, any other recommendations?

Many thanks!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
4) hoya, essilor, Asahi, tokai , Kodak...

I wear the same pair entire day, for every thing (work, sports etc) hence will prefer my spectacles to be heavy duty.

Few questions:

Many thanks!

kokjj87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, got any recommendation for Presbyopia (Lao Hua) Glasses?
Anything to look out for?

Want to gift it to my parents.

Reaction score
Hi guys, got any recommendation for Presbyopia (Lao Hua) Glasses?
Anything to look out for?

Want to gift it to my parents.

A light comfortable frame + multi-coated lenses would be nice.

However, if your parents likes watching drama on tablets/phones, you can consider upgrading the lenses to blue absorb ones. :s13:

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
R Hoya lenses still good for the money?
Heard that they r now made in Thailand.
Quality is still kept up?

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am wearing swissflex for about 4 months and having buyers remorse.
i find it getting too light and i have to often readjust, especially if my nose bridge gets oily
then there is always this constant fear of damaging the frame since it is SO light!
kinda regret getting this pair (not saying swissflex is bad but does not suit my personal usage). am looking at lindberg after some of you guys mentioning about it.
it will be a waste though if i dont utilise my swissflex pair.

raylite

Reaction score
Anyone with tokai lutina currently? Facing very heavy eye fatigue when working on screens, and also after using phone and looking up.

Reaction score
Anyone with tokai lutina currently? Facing very heavy eye fatigue when working on screens, and also after using phone and looking up.

Hi bro,

judging from the issues you're facing, chances are Tokai Lutina alone might not be able to resolve your issues.

Severe eye fatigue & Blur at distance after looking at near for sometime could mean a couple of things:
  1. Accomodation Insufficiency
  2. Phoria
  3. Pre-Presbyopia (Almost Laohua but not yet)

I'ld suggest dropping by any optical shop to have a quick check. :)

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am wearing swissflex for about 4 months and having buyers remorse.
i find it getting too light and i have to often readjust, especially if my nose bridge gets oily
then there is always this constant fear of damaging the frame since it is SO light!
kinda regret getting this pair (not saying swissflex is bad but does not suit my personal usage). am looking at lindberg after some of you guys mentioning about it.
it will be a waste though if i dont utilise my swissflex pair.

If u sweat often.. Get frames from Oakley.. Those with obutium rubber as temple one.. Their frame light and slip proof

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.