Guys! You all got DIY clean your aircon blower ?

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just signed on a quarterly servicing contract with a vendor my friend recommended. 4x a year for my 3 FCU around $22 per fan coil. Cheap and saves me time to clean as my time is worth more, even if it meant I can laze around and watch TV haha

The problem is for $22 per FCU, the contractors don't earn much.

So they must complete servicing of 3x FCU in less than 1 hour. And quality of job is compromised.

dude123

Master Member
Reaction score
wow not bad can last for 18 years.

Why not just opt for the most common brand name? Mitsubishi Electric.

Yea my existing is Mitsubishi Mr Slim one. Can last so long also surprise. I must say Mitsubishi is reliable but price on a higher side too

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea my existing is Mitsubishi Mr Slim one. Can last so long also surprise. I must say Mitsubishi is reliable but price on a higher side too

How much is the difference? Long time I didn't update the pricing.

My aircon is Mitsubishi Heavy and 9 years old now. I hope to reach like your life span.

Personally, I rather pay a little extra for a good brand in exchange for a piece of mind.

Someone posted in the past few pages that their Toshiba kaput within 5 years.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem is for $22 per FCU, the contractors don't earn much.

So they must complete servicing of 3x FCU in less than 1 hour. And quality of job is compromised.

Quality of job compromised with General Servicing is a total understatement. It's nearly useless. :D

The areas that really ought to be cleaned thoroughly, ie those that would affect performance/$$$ in both efficiency and stress to components which leads to early breakdowns and also health of the occupants due to mold risk (esp to those who are allergic), are not cleaned effectively.

Then those areas that are not so critical , are cleaned more thoroughly.

Bonus video

Snokey

Master Member
Reaction score
any one got videos on how to dismantle a mitsubishi invertor?
does this video help? mine look very similar to the video but I also cannot dismantle it. was thinking of using brute force but scared I break something.

]

Snokey

Master Member
Reaction score
also I did a chemical cleaning on my ME aircon this May, but now one of the unit has a foul smell (like moldy smell) when starting up. after 10min the smell is gone.

I think might be an issue with mold on the drain dish (not sure if this is the correct term). since I can't dismantle the unit easily, going to get the tech to come down take a look and also see how he dismantle the cover.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also I did a chemical cleaning on my ME aircon this May, but now one of the unit has a foul smell (like moldy smell) when starting up. after 10min the smell is gone.

I think might be an issue with mold on the drain dish (not sure if this is the correct term). since I can't dismantle the unit easily, going to get the tech to come down take a look and also see how he dismantle the cover.

The foul smell is definitely due to mold inside the FCU.

The May chemical cleaning was not done thoroughly, reinfestation of the mold.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1) May till now, the FCU may need servicing if usage is heavy.

2) Check the liquid coming out of your drainage pipe. If slimy, then confirm must clean already.

3) If watery but moldy smell only at the startup, I wouldn't bother too much. Mine is also like that.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There really shdn't really be any mold smell, even if 4-6 months never cleaned. At least not at my grandma's house. Used daily. There might be a reduction in airflow though (normal particulates like those on your fan blades), but no smell.

From May till now is only 3 months.
If there is that funny smell, that just merely means that the previous cleaning was half-assed, or the cleaning procedure has problems.

But of coz, my method of cleaning is with detegent/solvent cleaners and high pressure water.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some times when you start up the aircon, there is a little bad smell.

I don't know what smell that is.

Since the smell goes off after that, there isn't any need to be alarmed.

Snokey

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks guys for your advice and experience.

let me get the tech guy to come down and take a look then i will update on the situation.

btw has anyone tried using diluted bleach solution on the coils before? is it safe?

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy the A400 Alkaline Coil Cleaner?

There are a few ways, some get from Daikin pro shop, but if you don't want the hassle, just get from horme.

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=3769

Can get some fire extinguishers or something if you want to hit free delivery or something.

But only use this coil cleaner if you can tear down the whole unit like what mkuang2000 did. If you cannot flush out the coil cleaner thoroughly, you are going to screw up your aluminum evaporator coil and the copper pipes at the sides.

Safer option is to use the detergent/solvent cleaners, don't need total teardown. Go read this thread's earlier parts, all info there.

Snokey

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks guys for your advice and experience.

let me get the tech guy to come down and take a look then i will update on the situation.

btw has anyone tried using diluted bleach solution on the coils before? is it safe?
update - the tech came down to take a look and dismantled everything to take a look. the smell was actually coming from the blower which is surprising because it's just plastic all over. he helped to wash it clean and no more smell for now.

the way he dismantled looks damn easy as it took like 15s for the blower and drain pan. but he mentioned he's more familiar with the technique and that Mit E is one of the easiest to maintain.

anyway he didn't charge me for this wash. pretty nice and honest chap.

which also goes to show if I have a pressure washer and the aircon bag, I should be able to clean this myself.

Cookie Muncher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys any good cleaner (spray) to recommend. Saw some china brand and wd40 on qoo10 but unsure how good they are.

Looking for diy cleaner that cleans very well, easy to use and no chemical/weird smell

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.