IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

obichacha

Reaction score
Go for X1 7th gen.
Lighter weight and better quality of build

Uni student here going for IT course. Am considering between Thinkpad x1 carbon (7th gen) i5 for $1785 and Thinkpad L390 for $1.3k. Is the x1 worth the extra $500?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a E490 for 1379 with edu discount. First ever ThinkPad and am excited, going to upgrade the RAM and SSD myself that’s why got the basics only. Hopefully can last for my Uni and work life.

Kxy3r2Z.jpg

go for L series instead. bout same price

zinedine

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a E490 for 1379 with edu discount. First ever ThinkPad and am excited, going to upgrade the RAM and SSD myself that’s why got the basics only. Hopefully can last for my Uni and work life.

Would u b able to upgrade d SSD on your own? I had great difficulty in upgrading it on my X1. Finally gave up and sent to SimLimSquare to get someone else to do for me...

obichacha

Reaction score
Actually in this period , during the National Day sales.
You can key in : SPINSAVE15P for everyone to enjoy the 15 % discount.

obichacha

Reaction score
Upgrade SSD is the best part, not so difficult.
Lenovo recommendation for Samsung PM981 SSD, this is cheaper now.
Can search from Amazon, EBay or AliExpress etc.
In the first place you need to create windows setup installation USB drive.
Just plug into your laptop, press power, when booting up , follow by pressing F12 to boot from the USB drive then do fresh formatting on SSD then install the new window only.
All the driver can update from Lenovo vintage. ☺️

Would u b able to upgrade d SSD on your own? I had great difficulty in upgrading it on my X1. Finally gave up and sent to SimLimSquare to get someone else to do for me...

zinedine

Reaction score
Just plug into your laptop, press power, when booting up , follow by pressing F12 to boot from the USB drive then do fresh formatting on SSD then install the new window only.

Thank you, Sir!

I appreciate your input greatly!

I was trying out the imaging technique. I was successful with other brands like Dell and Acer but was defeated by the X1. I am out of touch quite a bit by now. Will look for some free time in the future and try out the way u have suggested.

Thanks again. Bless u!

obichacha

Reaction score
Lol, our sifu all in YouTube 🤣🤣🤣

Thank you, Sir!

I appreciate your input greatly!

I was trying out the imaging technique. I was successful with other brands like Dell and Acer but was defeated by the X1. I am out of touch quite a bit by now. Will look for some free time in the future and try out the way u have suggested.

Thanks again. Bless u!

Zakhri32

Reaction score
go for L series instead. bout same price

Yeah about the same price, but the E has a slightly better GPU (i'll be using mine for some light editing of photos and videos as well) and it can fit my spare 2.5 inch SSD.

Yup, will be upgrading the RAM and SSD myself since I'm quite 'hands-on' :s13:

jk_eugenetay

Reaction score
hello all, i need some help here.
i have a X280, use it a work with a T23m-10 for a power and display.
at home, i have a P24h-10 for power and display too.

bought a P27h-10 to replace the one at home, i tested this daisy chain setup to be working with the original display cable supplied.
X280 (USB-C) >> P27h-10 (display port out) >> P24h-10 (display port in)
the 2 monitors are extended correctly.

now i want to X280 (USB-C) >> P24h-10 (display port out) >> T23m-10 (display port in)
sorry i didn't manage to capture full error in office, but something like 1920 x 1080 / refresh rate is incorrect.

Any advise please? could it be daisy chain does not support different resolution? thank you!

some sources i referenced:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays-Options-and-Accessories/ThinkVision-P27h-10-daisy-chaining/td-p/3813286
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays-Options-and-Accessories/Thinkvision-Display-Daisy-Chaining/m-p/4167854

liferacer

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to ask if the x1 carbon gen 7 have noisy fan issues? I have an Asus laptop k series and it’s so noisy even when only chrome tabs are open. It’s only been a year or two since I had this laptop. I had even sent it for repair of the fan but there’s still the same problem. (Maybe it’s just Asus service). The specs are good just that I am worried about the fan noise because it gets annoying. So just wondering if switching over to the x1 7th gen is a good choice? Thanks!

obichacha

Reaction score
My X1 6th Gen has this fan noisy issue.
When you plug in the type c charging while you running the software.
The fan noisy not so loud , also can be very louder, due to slim chassis design and bottom air taken not as much gab, unless you buy the laptop stand for more room to air running through.
Again the heat blow out from the right side, just close to your right hand mouse, you might get this very uncomfortable.

Hi all, I would like to ask if the x1 carbon gen 7 have noisy fan issues? I have an Asus laptop k series and it’s so noisy even when only chrome tabs are open. It’s only been a year or two since I had this laptop. I had even sent it for repair of the fan but there’s still the same problem. (Maybe it’s just Asus service). The specs are good just that I am worried about the fan noise because it gets annoying. So just wondering if switching over to the x1 7th gen is a good choice? Thanks!

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u buy thinkpad, its comes with international warranty, as far as i know

You actually pay for it anyway. So if you don't actually travel with PC, why worry? Chances is for a short trip, you are unlike to wait for repair to complete before you return.
For USA set, depot service only.

obichacha

Reaction score
Ya , I agreed with you.
Alternative with X390 and X395, due to newly design with 13.3” display.. that is superB.

X1 is far too expensive. T490s is a better buy.
Anyway, PC do need to buy too expensive and technology change almost every year.

obichacha

Reaction score
Just done my carbon stickers over on P1 Gen 2 workstation laptop, the over looks like different feel.

3FpPLHU.jpg

6O9P2Ge.jpg

6ArR2a9.jpg

Done
GMaBWIh.jpg

Armrest as well 🤣🤣
e6i4tmQ.jpg

Zakhri32

Reaction score
So just got my E490 a few days ago, overall love it but sadly gonna have Lenovo send hopefully a 1 to 1 replacement due to GPU issues, the AMD RX 550X keeps crashing even when I did a full re-installation of Windows and drivers, concluded its a faulty GPU on the mobo... kinda sucks..

obichacha

Reaction score
Hi, I though u have let go.

So just got my E490 a few days ago, overall love it but sadly gonna have Lenovo send hopefully a 1 to 1 replacement due to GPU issues, the AMD RX 550X keeps crashing even when I did a full re-installation of Windows and drivers, concluded its a faulty GPU on the mobo... kinda sucks..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.