Which gigabit switch(es) for home network? Using Linksys Velop mesh

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My place is a 4-room BTO with data port conversion done.

Intention is for ONT + Velop primary node + switch in the DB compartment, then patch to the other rooms.

Which gigabit switch(es) is / are recommended for home networking? I got 5 data ports ...

1. Master bedroom
2. 2nd bedroom
3. 3rd bedroom / Study
4. Living room
5. Bomb shelter

... so I will need minimum 6-port switch.

The Velop 2nd node will be placed in the 3rd bedroom / Study, and 3rd node will be placed in the Master bedroom. I may also need an additional switch in the living room going to the TV, console, etc.

I may set up a NAS in the bomb shelter. And I intend to stream TV shows / movies to my TV in the living room.

-Grift-

Reaction score
My place is a 4-room BTO with data port conversion done.

Intention is for ONT + Velop primary node + switch in the DB compartment, then patch to the other rooms.

Which gigabit switch(es) is / are recommended for home networking? I got 5 data ports ...

1. Master bedroom
2. 2nd bedroom
3. 3rd bedroom / Study
4. Living room
5. Bomb shelter

... so I will need minimum 6-port switch.

The Velop 2nd node will be placed in the 3rd bedroom / Study, and 3rd node will be placed in the Master bedroom. I may also need an additional switch in the living room going to the TV, console, etc.

I may set up a NAS in the bomb shelter. And I intend to stream TV shows / movies to my TV in the living room.
A dumb gigabit switch from tplink should suffice

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u going for NAS. can go for 10GbE setup
Can you tell me more about this?

I do not have a NAS right now, but I intend to in the near future ... probably place it in the bomb shelter or something, since I got a data port there.

petetherock

Reaction score
I bought a basic one off amazon from TP link. Get the 10 port gigabit one with passive cooling

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about this?

I do not have a NAS right now, but I intend to in the near future ... probably place it in the bomb shelter or something, since I got a data port there.

e.g

if ur NAS support PCIe. add a intel X550 card
then using ur NAS. install those software router OS(e.g openwrt lede)
connect ur 10GbE switch to NAS. add a mesh AP to ur switch

some NAS like QNAP TVS-872 already have 10GbE also. but not cheap

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which 10GbE switch do you recommend?

e.g

if ur NAS support PCIe. add a intel X550 card
then using ur NAS. install those software router OS(e.g openwrt lede)
connect ur 10GbE switch to NAS. add a mesh AP to ur switch

some NAS like QNAP TVS-872 already have 10GbE also. but not cheap

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.