New EC at Sumang Walk

birmingham123

Master Member
Reaction score
Just touch on original topic without derailing too far

This EC too remote and not cheap
Confirm skip
If the project can break even is already good for developer

Based on current sales data, developer will not be keen just to break even. I do think this project is quite profitable to the developers.

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
This is from edmw thread.

StyL3-Ivan;122313771 said:
I'm working as HR and I am surprised many of my company abt to retire staff still want to continue working lor! 90% of them want to extend their contract and dont mind getting less pay & benefits.

They say better than at home do nothing. Once retired = no income. Money keep going out.

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
Very few developers are desperate.
And many went through such periods before.

Oxley buibui is probably quite desperate though.
At least the stock market perceive so.
It borrowed the most.

Based on current sales data, developer will not be keen just to break even. I do think this project is quite profitable to the developers.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
Once retired = no income. Money keep going out.

This statement quite sad leh. If money enough, then not scared money going out.

Must be they never buy condo in the past, then now sell and downgrade and pocket few millions right?

So your moral of the story is must buy condo, got buy got huat, no buy no huat.

Huat ah!

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
Of course they omit saying about their saving & CPF, possibly stock dividends /rental.
It is obviously no work = no pay
Singapore govt should not be charitable as those Scandinavian nations.

Anyway very few would say the money is enough.
LiKaShing would pocket a HK$1 coin if he see one on the floor.

This statement quite sad leh. If money enough, then not scared money going out.

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
Of course they omit saying about their saving & CPF, possibly stock dividends /rental.
It is obviously no work = no pay
Singapore govt should not be charitable as those Scandinavian nations.

Anyway very few would say the money is enough.
LiKaShing would pocket a HK$1 coin if he see one on the floor.

Damn, I not really working :(

No wonder I so incapable, cannot buy Sumang.

grenoble

Reaction score
Why would you think retire at 45 means no aim in life?

It's good to think of working till 60 though. But not working because you have a loan to pay.

I work because I want to, not because I need to.

agree too, many people just cannot picturing retirement at 45 even if they can afford to becos they have got nothing in their life except for work. Their life is progammed as such a "worker's life" who grinded day and night since their early days. You could also say their mentality is more of a "giver/saver" type , saving all resources and the best for their next generations/self security, placing less emphasis on self and never dared to pursue other things that makes them truely fulfilled, waiving it off as " aiyah, not practical, pay peanuts, not glamourous etc"

Hence without work they are at a lost with nothing much to fulfil, no social life, no subordinates to self brag to, hence going back to their jobs for a sense of self-worth.

On the other hand, those people who make such far-sight and enduring plans to retire early are highly likely to probably have also made plans for their bucket list to tick off upon retirement.

As you have said, Do what whatever they want without have to worry about money, and work not for the sake of money, they would even work for free so long they like what they are doing.

runforyourlife

Reaction score
It’s e same when ppl go overseas cannot do nth one, must have smth to do. Retire if got money is good, no money cannot must work. So there’s this cognitive dissonance going on where old ppl angsty, don’t wanna work but must work to survive. So old gen all unhappy except for e rich, pretty sure the poor seniors are minorities, surely Govt has the stats.

birmingham123

Master Member
Reaction score
agree too, many people just cannot picturing retirement at 45 even if they can afford to becos they have got nothing in their life except for work. Their life is progammed as such a "worker's life" who grinded day and night since their early days. You could also say their mentality is more of a "giver/saver" type , saving all resources and the best for their next generations/self security, placing less emphasis on self and never dared to pursue other things that makes them truely fulfilled, waiving it off as " aiyah, not practical, pay peanuts, not glamourous etc"

Hence without work they are at a lost with nothing much to fulfil, no social life, no subordinates to self brag to, hence going back to their jobs for a sense of self-worth.

On the other hand, those people who make such far-sight and enduring plans to retire early are highly likely to probably have also made plans for their bucket list to tick off upon retirement.

As you have said, Do what whatever they want without have to worry about money, and work not for the sake of money, they would even work for free so long they like what they are doing.

My kid will in secondary school when I am 45 and having his own life. I dunno what else to enjoy at that point of time if not working ? Play video/computer games all day long ?

Path-Finder

Reaction score
How about catching up w friends, spend quality time w parents, travel, learning something that you always wish to pick up but didnt hav the spare time etc etc.? Cant be kids and work r the only "enjoyable" stuffs in your life?

My kid will in secondary school when I am 45 and having his own life. I dunno what else to enjoy at that point of time if not working ? Play video/computer games all day long ?

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
Most of these can be done at weekends /on leaves when you are working.
It is a matter of time management.

Many may get excited initially with 'early retirement'
but for 20-40 years ?
Your friends /parents would avoid you for their own peaceful time.
Travelling can be very tiring & high expenses.

Many 'early retirement' is because they are not motivated to career-switch and in the wrong sectors.

How about catching up w friends, spend quality time w parents, travel, learning something that you always wish to pick up but didnt hav the spare time etc etc.? Cant be kids and work r the only "enjoyable" stuffs in your life?

Last edited:

birmingham123

Master Member
Reaction score

Just asking. Just I always wonder why do people want retire early ma. Never on my thoughts haha. At least for now. All those you mentioned can be done on weekends or days where I work from home once a week. Save my leaves for 2 travels in a year too. But my dream is still to climb to senior management instead of retire early haha

Path-Finder

Reaction score
This may be true. The reason y i thought of early retirement is because i want to get out of the rat race as early as i can, so that i won't have to play mind games and politics for survival. I can be myself and do things that i want, not because i need to

Many 'early retirement' is because they are not motivated to career-switch and in the wrong sectors.

8zaoyu

Reaction score
This thread has definitely deviated from piermont grand
Thread Not deviated... Just the pple who are buying Piermont Grand HDB-eligible EC better go brain scan whether they having the right mind at buy at such high psf when there are other public housing options for now. For me, I fear the govt trying to build less public housing and over-sell land for privatised housing. Anybody under the age of 45 (unless you lost hope for setting up a family) and fully paid up their housing loan should aspire for another housing loan till age 70 but MINUS the ABSD for SG citizens of course! THIS IS OUR LAND, so no HDB sales to non-citizens. Non-citizens (except those who marry in) and those who are SPRs should pay more ABSDs even from first housing.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.