Ukraine

wongdawson

Reaction score
hi,
I am planing to travel to Ukraine mid Nov and would like to visit another country nearby too.

any suggestion and why?

i plan about 12 days in total, but will spend at least one week in Ukraine

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Belarus should be nice. Haven't been to either but I got Chernobyl syndrome lately. Besides, it's near. :D

Otherwise poland, if you're into history and haven't been. Or romania. I feel eastern europe has a different charm and also cheaper expenses.

Curious where your flight stopover is?

jcyskr

Reaction score
Main problem with Belarus is you need to fly in and out of Minsk Airport to get visa-free access.

By plane you can visit Belarus or Romania. Else if you want to go by train you can try Poland (Warsaw / Krakow) or Hungary (Budapest / Eger).

wongdawson

Reaction score
Chernobyl is the main highlight to visit Ukraine Kiev. Is there direct flight fr Sg to Kiev I check all got stopover

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Interestingly, you can fly Ukraine International from Bangkok to Kiev.

cqwrish

Reaction score
If you are visiting Poland or Lithuania, you could also visit Brest and Grodno regions of Belarus visa free 15 days - catch is that you must book a pre-approved tour or assistance from a local tour operator. Also need valid insurance. Another catch is registration with migration police if staying longer than 5 days.

https://belarusfeed.com/belarus-extends-grodno-brest-visa-free-zones/

I’m planning to enter Ukraine (Odessa) from Romania/Moldova this October, spending about a week then flying into Minsk

wongdawson

Reaction score
If you are visiting Poland or Lithuania, you could also visit Brest and Grodno regions of Belarus visa free 15 days - catch is that you must book a pre-approved tour or assistance from a local tour operator. Also need valid insurance. Another catch is registration with migration police if staying longer than 5 days.

https://belarusfeed.com/belarus-extends-grodno-brest-visa-free-zones/

I’m planning to enter Ukraine (Odessa) from Romania/Moldova this October, spending about a week then flying into Minsk

U travel alone? Can tag along?

cqwrish

Reaction score
Yup travelling solo. Are your travel dates flexible though? Mine aren’t (would like to cover the 3 main cities Odesa, L’viv and Kyiv plus squeeze in side trips if possible), and have already booked onward flight to Belarus. I have already done up a Ukraine itinerary something like this:

D1 - Odessa (arrive late morning)
D2 - Odessa side trip, to L’viv overnight by train
D3 - L’viv full day
D4 - L’viv to Chernivtsi (visit first half of day), then Kamianets-Podilskyi or Khotyn fortress (second half of day, may KIV join guided tour), overnight train to Kyiv
D5 - Kyiv
D6 - Chernobyl side trip (only with tour agency, no independent travel)
D7 - Kyiv, flight to Minsk late afternoon

U travel alone? Can tag along?

wongdawson

Reaction score
Yup travelling solo. Are your travel dates flexible though? Mine aren’t (would like to cover the 3 main cities Odesa, L’viv and Kyiv plus squeeze in side trips if possible), and have already booked onward flight to Belarus. I have already done up a Ukraine itinerary something like this:

D3 - L’viv full day
D4 - L’viv to Chernivtsi (visit first half of day), then Kamianets-Podilskyi or Khotyn fortress (second half of day, may KIV join guided tour), overnight train to Kyiv
D5 - Kyiv

Have u booked your ticket what is your travelling date? PM me with more details

Avlis123

Reaction score
Coffee shops/Restaurants in Lviv

Any good Coffee shops/Restaurants in Lviv? ANYONE?? :s12:

cqwrish

Reaction score
Definitely it’s well known for its coffee culture in Ukraine and no lack of hipster or themed cafes. House of Legends and the Handmade Chocolate (probably more confectionery than cafe) seem to be high on the guidebooks and TripAdvisor. The Coffee Mine place is also rather interesting. https://bnc.lt/gtCg/2opT7NvTzZ

Are you travelling there too?

Any good Coffee shops/Restaurants in Lviv? ANYONE?? :s12:

noslek

Reaction score

D3 - L’viv full day
D5 - Kyiv

Kyiv is a huge city with lots to see. I was there early last month and I had slightly shorter time than you:
D1: Flight landed in Kyiv at about 2pm
D2: Chernobyl day tour
D3: Leave Kyiv at 9pm (flight)

Unfortunately I did not manage to cover all the sights I intended to :(

Some caveats on why I didn’t manage:
1. I was quite tired/lazy on day 1 (cause it’s towards the end of my trip) so all I did that day was walk around the Independence Square/Khreschatyk Street, dinner and a “metro station tour” on my own.
2. The Chernobyl tour took almost the whole day. We were back in Kyiv at about 7pm. Though there’s still few hours to explore the town but I decided to dine with a new friend I met during the tour and hence whole day gone.
3. I joined a walking tour on day 3 and that took up a few hours.

So if you are not lazy, didn’t make new friends and didn’t join walking tour, you may be able to explore more. But I’ll still recommend adding another day in Kyiv so as not to be too rush.

Minsk, on the other hand, can be covered in one full day.

Safe travels!

cqwrish

Reaction score
Yes! So many sights and I’m starting to regret not giving one extra day in Kyiv as my onward flight is already booked. I intend to cover Pecherska Lavra caves and the Motherland monument, finish at Arsenalna on one half day, then a full day on the stretch from Maidan to St Sophia all the way to Andrew’s descent, and the third day for Chernobyl. I found accommodation in the Podil area - guess it should be alright for cafes and restaurants in the evening? Seems walkable to Andrew’s descent too.

Did you cover other Ukraine destinations on the same trip? And did you have to apply for the e-Visa, any hiccups encountered with the process?

Kyiv is a huge city with lots to see. I was there early last month and I had slightly shorter time than you:
D1: Flight landed in Kyiv at about 2pm
D2: Chernobyl day tour
D3: Leave Kyiv at 9pm (flight)

Unfortunately I did not manage to cover all the sights I intended to :(

Some caveats on why I didn’t manage:
1. I was quite tired/lazy on day 1 (cause it’s towards the end of my trip) so all I did that day was walk around the Independence Square/Khreschatyk Street, dinner and a “metro station tour” on my own.
2. The Chernobyl tour took almost the whole day. We were back in Kyiv at about 7pm. Though there’s still few hours to explore the town but I decided to dine with a new friend I met during the tour and hence whole day gone.
3. I joined a walking tour on day 3 and that took up a few hours.

So if you are not lazy, didn’t make new friends and didn’t join walking tour, you may be able to explore more. But I’ll still recommend adding another day in Kyiv so as not to be too rush.

Minsk, on the other hand, can be covered in one full day.

Safe travels!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.