AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fathery u go read back the posts
Like many problems appearing
I also wanted to buy but hold back now
Think of dell or asus
Oh? What are the ‘many problems’ you are referring to...?

Care to share ?

I’m looking to buy for my daughter’s Uni which starts August next month....

Tia

chiaRH

Reaction score
Fathery u go read back the posts
Like many problems appearing
I also wanted to buy but hold back now
Think of dell or asus

I mean if you go to dell/asus service centre and see empty seats inside, I guess you can convince yourself that their machines indeed are more reliable since nobody needs servicing on anything

This forum thread is sort of an active congregation of aftershock users, which is why it seems like aftershock has more problems when in reality a lot of the other brand laptop owners if they have problems you won't see them come here to post about it.

Even I myself contribute to that effect too:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/120157531-post5103.html

...but would I trust Asus/Dell more than Aftershock?

Dell this is their current track record you can read up and be your own judge.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Almos...suffering-from-countless-issues.418555.0.html

For Asus unless you get their high end (and expensive) models... I don't have much faith in their Strix lineup, I know in the past they had a 1070 Strix and didn't supply a power adapter that could handle it, so if you game on it you drain battery even if the laptop is plugged in.

All I can advise is, pick any brand, and then memorise where their service centre is (especially consider whether you can make it there on a weekday after work). That knowledge you will probably one day need.

Reaction score
All I can advise is, pick any brand, and then memorise where their service centre is (especially consider whether you can make it there on a weekday after work). That knowledge you will probably one day need.

Best advice ever. The experience for your Aftershock X15 is eerily similar to my previous Dell XPS unit (a XPS 15 Gen 1 that can accommodate standard notebook HDD, unlike the "Macbook Pro clone" superthin versions today which only can use m.2 SSDs as storage).

My S-15 which replaced the faulty XPS 15 Nehalem CPU-based (I've given up on its pathetic service, a far cry from the time Dell used to sell its own units with far more custom options like Aftershock is doing for their Clevo barebones now). And it's not without issues too, most common being the touchpad which always gets fixed albeit temporary via updated drivers through Clevo's driver page (which I have shared in this forum more than once to help fellow Aftershock Laptop users fix 75% of their BSOD Crashes), and the RGB keyboard failing which was resolved with a keyboard replacement under warranty, and planning to fix up shutdown issues (OS installed on SSD starts up fast but shuts down slower than installed on a SSHD on my previous XPS laptop) by upgrading the PCIe SSD to a faster NVMe one, and hopefully prolong the lifespan of the S-15 in the process. Maintenance on the unit continues as long as the S-15 can continue its faithful service.

Lesson learnt: Your laptop vendor can only do so much as to fix on the hardware side of issues, you will still need to tap on your experience in knowing what can go wrong to get the best out of any brand of laptop you can get your hands on, unless you are facing horrible service that cannot even understand what you are facing with your laptop.

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to upgrade the battery to a bigger one for the apex?

huihong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Moi aging AS W15 wib 980M need to upgrade le,

Anybody got any feedback on the new models with 2070/2080?

chiaRH

Reaction score
Moi aging AS W15 wib 980M need to upgrade le,

Anybody got any feedback on the new models with 2070/2080?

its 2 generations ahead of your 900-series GPU

the 2070/2080 actually came out last year and don't expect a refresh this year because nvidia doesn't look to be doing annual upgrades for the current time being, so far it's been like:

2016 - pascal (1000 series)
2017 - pascal with max Q
2018 - turing (2000 series)
2019 - turing 1600-series (basically the 2018 stuff, without RTX)

aarontansp

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting Apex 15 Lite with 1060 ti vs Apex 15 with RTX 2060 and wondering if anyone have suggestions?

Not much difference on a laptop for 2060 Vs 1660ti.you can run ultra on 1660ti. Save yourself 400 bucks for other needful like monitor.

idunknowlarh

Reaction score
Not much difference on a laptop for 2060 Vs 1660ti.you can run ultra on 1660ti. Save yourself 400 bucks for other needful like monitor.

Now their Apex 15 lite also offers RTX 2060... and for only $75 more compared to 1660ti...

Tough call man. Still also hoping for PD charging (and main charger) and/or larger battery option for work purposes.... hopefully new model or gen 10 cpu hmm...

orange_20

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if Aftershock will help to upgrade the SSD for the laptop? like i have a 512gb m.2 ssd, can they help to clone the original SSD and install the new one? for a fee maybe?

Psycovirus

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if Aftershock will help to upgrade the SSD for the laptop? like i have a 512gb m.2 ssd, can they help to clone the original SSD and install the new one? for a fee maybe?

Call and ask? Because we also don't know.

You can try do it yourself. If your aftershock has 2 m.2 slots, you can clone the SSD using clonezilla.

You just need to create a USB bootable disk. It will boot into a linux distro and launch the clonezilla software. I clone a 512gb to a 1TB in less than 20 mins.

orange_20

Reaction score
Call and ask? Because we also don't know.

You can try do it yourself. If your aftershock has 2 m.2 slots, you can clone the SSD using clonezilla.

You just need to create a USB bootable disk. It will boot into a linux distro and launch the clonezilla software. I clone a 512gb to a 1TB in less than 20 mins.

I shall call them later to check. thanks for the reply!

chiaRH

Reaction score

installing new hardware they can help you do. my current laptop has had stuff like new RAM and new SSD which they helped install for me.

but for data related, like data/OS cloning etc am not very sure if they will. Cos there's all sorts of liability regarding data loss, corruption etc that even if it's a 0.01% chance any mishap occur they may not want to take the risk of being liable for it

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if there is any shortcut key to disable the Windows key on a Slate 17? I have to edit registry to do so?

kweeli

Reaction score
Is the aftershock laptop can diy add in ddr4 ram without void warranty? Consider to get Forge 15 + GTX1650 at $1361 without OS.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.