NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

juggernaut7

Reaction score
Hi there! I hope that your positivity will keep you going! I believe the teaching field is not easy either! Just got to keep going no matter what. Hang in there!

Anyways, could you share what kind of **** work are there? I would appreciate if u could go into details as that would def help aspiring teachers like myself out there to have better prep before we really decide to enter the field... U can pm me too! Thanks alot bro! And keep going!!!
Don't worry, if u get thru u will have to do yr contract teaching min of 6 mths.
This period is for both u & the schl to decide if u shud continue or quit the service but contract teaching is quite a breeze.
The real life starts after your teaching practice (practicum).
I like to TEACH but a lot of non-teaching duties like prepare presentation for professional learning, attending meetings after meetings etc.
Then u get a form class, usually new teachers will get lower sec. I u get the NA/NT be prepared to face all the problems/issues etc and u as the disciplinarian/counsellor, calling parents etc.
So a lot of ancillary duties. And if u're lucky your team members will work together but most of them too busy with their own chunk.
Pre exam period, u get stressed up, setting papers, coaching students drill them how to answer in order to raise their MSG. This MSG is like a magic number based on their grades. CCA wise - I'm quite unlucky to get a CCA with no instructor so every week got to crack my head & think of activity for students.
If CCA like sports u have instructor, at least u can do marking while observing kids doing CCA cos instructor/coach is there to train the kids.

Slowly, once u got the hang of it, I guess u will shine and be a pro. Was told that first 5 yrs as beginning teacher (BT) is a hell cos u dont have your own resources/slides/materials etc. Thats why got 3 yrs bond - cannot run away. By then u already become an expert so quite contented.
But I think the schl plays a part too, depends which schl u got in.

All the best.

juggernaut7

Reaction score
Hi may I know what are the pass fail modules for PGDE? Does results affect our pay?
Hi
If u can pass yr basic degree then shudnt be a problem
If I recall clearly quite a few P/F modules but NIE modules are not that difficult so to speak.
Pedagogical Practices - I got cheated with this module, lect didnt say its a P/F module and its 4AU, so considered quite heavy load, then when rcvd result slip stated as P. Erk wasted my energy cos I toil & boil to do the assignments.
Other P/F I remember like Sg Kaleidescope & Comm Skills for Tchrs.

I was struggling during my PGDE course cos Im a lazy person hahahhahah and lots of assignmnts/presentations back to back till I almost drowned. But I think its a blessing cos it somewhat train me during my practicum period not to be lazy & always on the ball.

My frens always say enjoy your NIE days - I totally agree with that cos its so carefree, once u posted to schl its like ERKKK - only that NIE is too far for me cos I stay Eastern side.

Whatever it is, at then end of the day - just think of the students, your main intention of joining MOE.The rest u just have to breathe in & exhale once in a while.

All the best.

juggernaut7

Reaction score
Hi may I know what are the pass fail modules for PGDE? Does results affect our pay?
Forgot to answer yr qns on results.
No, NIE results no effect on your pay.
Your pay depends on yr class of hons & related work exp.

I got distinction for my practicum but still nothing extra & in fact posted to a 'ERK' school but my other mates practicum result Pass posted to a very branded & well known school. I guess cos where I stay my area are all ERK schools hahahahha

But what I know is if u're posted to branded schl like RI/RGS or those alike (from what I heard) u can negotiate for 2 additional increments. AND usually its for 3 years stint, if u will like to stay on u got to join them as direct hire & also depends if these branded schl wants you or not.

All the best.

monkeybro

Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates? Esp those who was interviewed 4-5 weeks ago? Should receive results by now right?

went for my EPT exam last(or two weeks ago) week, status changed to shortlisted. Got called up for more details about my religious background last friday. and now just waiting....

amyyee

Reaction score
Don't worry bro! You'll get better once you get the hang of it. Just remember, Teach Less, Learn More, Mark Less, Stress More. Hahaha!

Worse case scenario, try to get into another school with a better environment. Some schools have toxic environments. It's like a roll of dice when they finally deploy you to a school. If still cannot, just quit and teach tuition.

Otherwise, I'm impressed that this thread is still alive after more than 10 years!
@Surferpunk Thanks for creating this thread back in 2008 so that new applicants like me do not go crazy alone and get new insights with the community support.

Do update if anyone received updates for medical.
Staying hopeful for the possible "possible offer appointment" by 7 November 2019.

Sasha12

Reaction score
Anyone went for Pri interview in Jul and received updates i.e. shortlisted, rejection email, etc by now?

glutenmagic

Reaction score
Anyone went for Pri interview in Jul and received updates i.e. shortlisted, rejection email, etc by now?
I went on 17 July and have not yet recieved any rejection. Only recieved the EPT availability email and Processing email so far. Application status is still "In Process". How about you?

chilipeppers

Reaction score
I went for interview on 1st July.
Received EPT availability email on 8 July.
Status changed to shortlisted on 23 July.
No update since then.

aznotnurfurrr

Reaction score
I received my rejection email this morning & also realised that the application window closed yesterday (sians) so I called MOE on regards to the nearest application window (or if I have any chance to apply this year) and they told me to apply again.... NEXT YEAR :)))))))

Kinda sad bcos teaching is the only thing that i’m certain about doing & I don’t really have a back-up plan for my life SO if anyone has a job opening, please hit me up :)

Max_power

Reaction score
I received my rejection email this morning & also realised that the application window closed yesterday (sians) so I called MOE on regards to the nearest application window (or if I have any chance to apply this year) and they told me to apply again.... NEXT YEAR :)))))))

Kinda sad bcos teaching is the only thing that i’m certain about doing & I don’t really have a back-up plan for my life SO if anyone has a job opening, please hit me up :)

Sorry to hear that. When did you go for your interview? Maybe you could look for another job first, considering that the next possible intake is Jun 2020

flykickscreamhan

Reaction score

Hey, don't worry, i understand what you mean. You can try and apply for relief teaching to gain experience and feel what it's like to be a teacher, then apply for PDGE next year! Application for relief teaching closing on 31st august! So if u wan, can apply for that first! Or you can do relief teaching AND tuition at the same time. Jiayou ok, we are all on the same boat!

flykickscreamhan

Reaction score
I just got my rejection email too. LOL. Hais. I'm v sad now, trying to process it on my own. But i'm with you all who got rejected. Let's not give up, but let's take the time to recover, then slowly make our way to achieve our dreams again. Jiayou all~

glutenmagic

Reaction score
Same. Do you know when we can reapply again? A bit sian cos the window closed yesterday...
Sorry to hear that too.

You can apply again 6 months after the rejection. Which is most probably going to be the 1st application window of 2020.

You'll only get better with each attempt!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.