Which MBA?

Sergios

Reaction score
I feel that these mba schools are piggy backing on already good candidates to push up their branding.

Sent from Samsung SM-G960F using GAGT

jclayton

Reaction score
Any students who got to LBS MBA recently.. Care to share advice on GMAT scores and scholarship application process?

Kec143

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Can someone comment on NUS vs NTU part time mba program in terms of course content, brand name(within and outside SG), alumni strength(n/w opportunities) and course rigrousness.

Thanks in advance.

Ashish

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any students who got to LBS MBA recently.. Care to share advice on GMAT scores and scholarship application process?

Scholarship and MBA hardly mix. Anyway from LBS
https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/mba/faqs
London Business School encourages candidates to explore all scholarship and financing opportunities available to them in their home country or country of residence.

A variety of loans are available to students including Prodigy Finance and US Federal Student Loans.

From the above which local scholarship u looking at? Process may differ

jimmysky21

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new here. Looking for MBA advice. . .
Currently i am looking for schools within 40k budget and considering below these 2.

1- University of birmingham ( SIM)
2- Ymca ( Strathclyde Business School)
3- The University of Adelaide

If you guys have better idea, please advice me.
I also welcome anyone who attended above uni for more suggestion.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you go to M7 or Insead?

I've been trying to weigh the opportunity costs between going full time to M7 and doing it part time locally at Insead SG.

Could you also share a bit about differences between Masters in Management vs MBA? I think the distinction is not so clear in SG context.

Thanks.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Did you go to M7 or Insead?

I've been trying to weigh the opportunity costs between going full time to M7 and doing it part time locally at Insead SG.

Could you also share a bit about differences between Masters in Management vs MBA? I think the distinction is not so clear in SG context.

Thanks.

Got $200k USD to burn? Try putting it in the capital markets!

kaixin18

Reaction score
ntu vs nus MBA, which is better?

is Amity's Queen Mary University of London's MBA good?
It seems pretty cheap as compared

Have you considered these 3 as well?
I've just came across them wondered if anyone have considered them as well.

1. Master of Global Business
S P JAIN SCHOOL OF GLOBAL MANAGEMENT SINGAPORE

2. Master in International Business (MIB)
GRENOBLE ECOLE DE MANAGEMENT

3. Concordia University Chicago MBA
LONDON SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND FINANCE (LSBF) SINGAPORE

$75k for the program..

i think there's other more reputable brands for that price range

im not interested in local uni MBA. most probably long distance MBA.
im looking at
- Uni Of London Global MBA
https://london.ac.uk/courses/global-mba

- is Amity's UOL MBA same as the uni of london global MBA?
http://www.amitysingapore.sg/courses-london-mba.asp#horizontalTab1

is there any other MBAs i should look at? preferably UK unis.

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
That's why need to consider the opportunity costs and whether future increases earnings can justify the MBA. :s22:

Yes, a very good point. I'm sure you have done your calculations.

Do they add up? The benefit-cost tradeoff of the MBA I mean.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Why is 200k burn? Burn is zero ROI

Perhaps burn isn't really the best word, but:

With $200k USD, you can get a small two-room flat in Singapore, one of the most expensive cities in the world. No worries about paying rent for the rest of your life.

Alternatively, depending on your standard of living, you may be able to live off this amount for more than a decade.

On the other hand, the benefits of spending this amount on an MBA are not as certain:

Employers overseas who are reluctant to sponsor a work visa for an international student.

Hiring managers who don't see any value-add an MBA brings to the table compared to getting a fresh grad or hiring from another company.

Hiring managers who think MBA grads are not willing to do grunt work.

More importantly, there has been a proliferation of alternate education pathways in the past few years. These range from coding bootcamps, to micro-credentialling, all the way to specialized master's degrees such as business analytics or digital marketing. Some of them have decent job outcomes as well.

Just head over to Google News and search for MBA. There are so many articles that talk about falling applications, business schools closing, and business schools offering alternative programmes such as online MBAs.

The general consensus now (from what I read) is that if you wanna do an MBA, do it only at the best schools where it still commands a premium. Perhaps that is what you were intending. But it will bleed your bank account with little guarantee of a [good] job upon graduation (though if you were from a top school, I surmise that your chances will be exponentially higher).

The world is changing very fast because of technology, and employers are demanding specialization. App/web development, cybersecurity, data science, digital marketing, entrepreneurship, these are all new-age skills that companies need. And many companies will pay good money for it. Yes, they do need a group of leaders to "manage" the business units etc, but this group is small and competition to enter is very fierce.

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, a very good point. I'm sure you have done your calculations.

Do they add up? The benefit-cost tradeoff of the MBA I mean.

Still considering since it's early days. But do you think M7 and Insead is worth the 6 figure investment? Insead will probably only require $100k thereabouts if its SG campus.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Still considering since it's early days. But do you think M7 and Insead is worth the 6 figure investment? Insead will probably only require $100k thereabouts if its SG campus.

The tuition fees for Insead alone are €87,000, works out to be about $130,000 SGD. If you add the forgone income from your job for that year it may add up to $200k SGD(?).

But you may get a scholarship from somewhere, could shave off some of the amount. And then if you intern in a high-paying role you may be able to earn a little bit of money back.

The job you get after graduation is really the wildcard I guess. Best if you go and talk to their alumni since one of their campus, very fortunately, happens to be in SG.

Compare this to the M7. Tuition much higher, but they might also give you a scholarship if you can paint yourself as being from an under-represented pool.

Opportunity cost, though, is much higher because its two years compared to Insead's one.

BUT, you get a chance to intern and work in the US after you graduate. However, one catch is that an MBA is generally not recognized as a STEM degree so you won't be able to benefit from the OPT-extention (some universities have started offering MBAs that are STEM though). So you have to get in line with other H-1B applicants.

On the other hand, if you are lucky enough to be Singaporean, you may be able to get a company to sponsor a H-1B1 visa (note this is very different from H-1B) for you.

I'm kinda lazy but I'm sure there is a huge amount of info online about working in the US after grad (especially for international students). But of course, this is assuming you are interested in working in the US in the first place. Higher salaries, but also higher costs of living and higher tax rate. But to some people, perhaps the US offers an appealing way of life to them and they don't mind the trade-off.

But how easy to get a job after grad? Best talk to some alumni I suppose. If you email the business school's admissions office, they will be more than willing to connect you to current/graduated Singaporean students in their school.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M7 biz school closing switching online? I agree MBA very different today, a lot of ppl with Ross MBA, Anderson MBA, etc all no where near executive management or senior management. Ppl doing full time MBA often times strategically mingle with ppl doing part time. Network with the elites sponsored by their companies. Become their party buddies.

Ppl with MBA typically don’t apply for tech jobs. Many in consultancy managing projects. Every yr move from company to company.

Are we talking Cryophoenix already guarantee a spot? Or thinking as long pay can do a M7 program?

Cryophoenix you may wanna read. Today politics complex. Many immigrants fear immigration policy chance and queue to green card for any nationality is like over 15yrs. Many of my buddies all considering moving to Canada
https://poetsandquants.com/2019/01/16/m7-business-schools-stats/

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.