learning japanese

SAVAD1

Reaction score
BUNKA Pre advance 1

Hi i am thinking of either bunka pre advance or IKOMA, i prefer conversational, anyone went for both and able to share the differences?

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi i am thinking of either bunka pre advance or IKOMA, i prefer conversational, anyone went for both and able to share the differences?

I never did Bunka Pre-advanced, only their advanced. I did Ikoma's Pre-advanced, Advanced and Further advanced.

Bunka from Pre-advanced onwards are purely conversational.

Ikoma pre-advanced is also very conversational heavy.

Personally, I prefer Ikoma's classes because even though it is conversational, there is still a textbook that they follow and you can still track the progress. Bunka's approach is a little.. all over the place if I would put it.

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. May I know what does it mean by Ikoma is more of conversational? Any idea which school would be more suitable for a beginner?

Last edited:

jeremiahtong

Reaction score
Conversational means there is more conversation between the teacher and students and not just the teacher talking in the class. You may want to consider Ikoma.

jeremiahtong

Reaction score
Hi all. May I know what does it mean by Ikoma is more of conversational? Any idea which school would be more suitable for a beginner?

Conversational means there is more conversation practice between the teacher and students or students and students and not just the teacher talking and the students listening in the class. You may want to consider Ikoma.

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Conversational means there is more conversation practice between the teacher and students or students and students and not just the teacher talking and the students listening in the class. You may want to consider Ikoma.

Thanks for the reply. Will it be difficult to cope/adapt for a beginner? Planning to start learning soon.

ramenmilktea

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Will it be difficult to cope/adapt for a beginner? Planning to start learning soon.

I've been to both. Ikoma's beginner and intermediate is very hard to cope due to a 5cm stack of homework every week. Their style focuses on rote learning and memorising of vocab. I found it too stressful so I changed to Bunka which has 2-5 worksheets per week and allows you to practice vocab through conversation and the style makes it easier to remember.

zacking91

Reaction score
Good day, anyone can recommend which school provides a good conversational course and business conversational course?

zezeze

Reaction score
Hi, after some research I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the language academies that offer Japanese classes. E.g. IKOMA, Bunka, inlingua and also SP and NUS. I'm a PR hence not eligible for Skillsfuture and such, SP & NUS seems to be very expensive. And scrolling through the thread I've seen good reviews of IKOMA. Any advice? Thanks!

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, after some research I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the language academies that offer Japanese classes. E.g. IKOMA, Bunka, inlingua and also SP and NUS. I'm a PR hence not eligible for Skillsfuture and such, SP & NUS seems to be very expensive. And scrolling through the thread I've seen good reviews of IKOMA. Any advice? Thanks!

Ikoma or Bunka are ok

zenki81

Reaction score
Yes.

Initially I was using English to learn. but after intermittent level, I found that it was better to use Chinese to learn instead.

If you were learning through Chinese language, I can recommend a Taiwanese who's teaching Japanese.

He's quite good in Japanese grammar / vocabulary, and can explain quite well (in Chinese language). In fact, he will explain or teach on some areas of which other textbooks don't teach but students are expected to know.

As for the pronunciation, it will be handled by a Japanese.

Usually He will do live on Sundays at 9 pm to explain on Japanese grammar / vocabulary, but will stop for these 2 weeks.

BTW, he's in Taiwan, not in Singapore, but I have bought Japanese course from him. If good, I might continue learning from him.

Hi, do you mind pm me the website or details? Thanks 😊

evolute8

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My company would like to sponsor the language class and I was given a list of schools to choose from:

• Agape School of Education
  • Inlingua School of Languages
  • JCS Japanese Language School

Any recommendation/experiences from the above 3 schools?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.