Need advice on new Camera & Lens

bodhidg1983

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a passion for photography and intend to pursue it a bit more, hence want to upgrade from my oh-so-old SONY A35 DSLR.

I want to go for the SONY A7RIII.... (given that the A7RIV is so damn expensive)

What I need some advice for are the lenses....

These are the lenses I have shortlisted, based on some Youtube reviews/suggestions...

1) Sony 16-35mm f/4 - SEL1635Z
2) Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM - SEL24F14GM
3) Sony 55mm f/1.8 - SEL55F18Z
4) Sony 85mm f/1.8 - SEL85F18
5) Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8
6) Sony 70-200mm f/4 - SEL70200G

I would want to start off with 2 lenses And maybe add another one after a year or so IF REQUIRED.

What do I like shooting, or shoot ?
- Human portrait, landscape, candid scenes at family gatherings and parties, some low-light candid moments at family gatherings and functions, weddings, birthday parties, children's school sporting events, office sporting events, amusement parks, beach/water... and more

Any suggestions for which 2 lenses I should start with ?

Thanks,
Bodhi

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with a phone camera?... :)

.. many pros can produce superb pictures with a good phonecam... :)

pwnies5600

Reaction score
From your shortlist, my picks would be:
Tamron 17-28mm - When you can get close to your subjects or need a wide field of view. Better value for your money than the Sony 16-35mm IF you do not need the optical image stabilisation of the latter.
Sony 70-200mm - When you cannot get close to your subjects. May be pertinent for sporting events and weddings.

If you want, you can also add a Sony FE 50mm f1.8 (Not the 55mm) to it for just a little more money. I would say the 50mm and 55mm are more similar than different for a large difference in price. Would be a good addition if you like shooting at 50mm focal length.

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
when you go R, you need to invest in cards as well as they fill up pretty fast!
80mb/RAW file

incubus07

Reaction score
From your list of things you shoot/ like to shoot. Its still quite broad.

Just get A7iii / a6400 paired with a 24-105. Use it alot, then check which focal ranges you normal shoot at. At this point, youd also have gone further with your journey as a photographer and have prob narrowed down what you'd like to shoot even more.

If you decide to do photography as a job, by all means get the best glass and body you can afford with good ROI, if its still just for casual but serious shooting, id still pic the a7iii but pair it with better glass.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem with fixed focus lens is that you will always be walking either toward or away from your subject to get a good shot.

bodhidg1983

Reaction score
From your list of things you shoot/ like to shoot. Its still quite broad.

Just get A7iii / a6400 paired with a 24-105. Use it alot, then check which focal ranges you normal shoot at. At this point, youd also have gone further with your journey as a photographer and have prob narrowed down what you'd like to shoot even more.

If you decide to do photography as a job, by all means get the best glass and body you can afford with good ROI, if its still just for casual but serious shooting, id still pic the a7iii but pair it with better glass.

It's a hobby for now - and I am trying to do small assignments like birthday parties, weddings, food, etc but just starting out.

And I have read that the A7RIII images are sharper than the A7III. Is that true?

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
R for resolution.

There's a reason why the A7Riii is more expensive than the normal A7iii

how sharp depends on how sharp your eyes can pixel peep

Valour94

Reaction score
The problem with fixed focus lens is that you will always be walking either toward or away from your subject to get a good shot.

I think prime (fixed) lens can be sharper as well. I think depending on what you are shooting, prime lens can be at a disadvantage in small spaces where you cannot move a lot. But I find it a good way to teach myself to compose my shots rather than using the convenience of zooming in and out.

Valour94

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a passion for photography and intend to pursue it a bit more, hence want to upgrade from my oh-so-old SONY A35 DSLR.

I want to go for the SONY A7RIII.... (given that the A7RIV is so damn expensive)

What I need some advice for are the lenses....

These are the lenses I have shortlisted, based on some Youtube reviews/suggestions...

1) Sony 16-35mm f/4 - SEL1635Z
2) Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM - SEL24F14GM
3) Sony 55mm f/1.8 - SEL55F18Z
4) Sony 85mm f/1.8 - SEL85F18
5) Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8
6) Sony 70-200mm f/4 - SEL70200G

I would want to start off with 2 lenses And maybe add another one after a year or so IF REQUIRED.

What do I like shooting, or shoot ?
- Human portrait, landscape, candid scenes at family gatherings and parties, some low-light candid moments at family gatherings and functions, weddings, birthday parties, children's school sporting events, office sporting events, amusement parks, beach/water... and more

Any suggestions for which 2 lenses I should start with ?

Thanks,
Bodhi

I am choosing based on the focal length and how it can help you take the photos you like.

I will choose:

4) Sony 85mm f/1.8 - SEL85F18 --> For portraits and weddings/functions
5) Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 --> The other interests. Aperture of 2.8 to help with low light scene and focal length of 17-28mm to quickly capture candid moments.

If I may also recommend the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 hahaha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.