Dlink 868L AP Mode causing wifi authentication issues

aaaaarrrgghhh

Reaction score
Hi,
In order to avoid poor wifi coverage,i'm trying to configure an AP.
I have SH fiber ONT connected to DlinkPrimary's WAN port. From DLinkPrimary LAN port, I have a cable going to my study, into a DLinkSecondary's LAN port.
DlinkPrimary has SSID 'HomeNet' at 2.4GHz, and does the DHCP.
DlinkSecondary is in BridgeMode (acts like an AP).Its also configured for Wireless 2.4GHz, same SSID, AES cipher and password as DLinkPrimary.

As soon as i power on DlinkSecondary, wifi clients can no longer connect to the SSID - either they just try to connect and go back to just saying "Saved", or give a message saying "Authentication error occurred". if I switch off DLinkSecondary wireless, clients can connect.

My 5GHz network from DLinkPrimary continues happily.

DLink Primary Settings:
Wireless Security Mode = WPA-Personal
WPA Mode = Auto(WPA or WPA2)

DLink Secondary Settings:
I've tried both WPA and WPA2.

Both 868L routers are at the 1.12 F/W version, A1 H/W version.

Any pointers to troubleshoot this?

aaaaarrrgghhh

Reaction score
Follow the guide here : DIR-868L – How To Setup Access Point (AP) For Router ?

As you can see there is not need to set any WPA or WPA2 on the AP.
It will auto grab all the necessary from the Primary Router.
All you just have to do is wait for 10 or 15 minutes.

Thanks, I did look at that doc. 2 issues with the doc:
1.Strangely, my router's Internet page only has a checkbox for "Enable Bridge Mode" - no dropdown with the other options shown there.Apparently this Bridge mode is the AP mode. I've also selected Static IP and not DHCP.

2.The doc doesn't say anything about wireless at all - I need to use it as wireless AP, and when I enable wireless checkbox on the DLinkSecondary in Wireless Settings, I necessarily have to select the SSID, security mode and cipher. Unless I select wireless, the AP is just a LAN extension.

aaaaarrrgghhh

Reaction score
Screenshot your errors !!!

Go to here : D-Link DIR-868L - DD-WRT Wiki, search for Recovery Mode, somewhere in the middle. Follow the instruction closely.

Thanks - I had already seen another thread on HWZ about the recovery mode and was struggling with it- but using Firefox was the key input from this link!
Anyway - after a whole lot of heartburn, both routers are up and running with 1.21SHC.
I followed the Wireless AP method (can see the drop down now!), but the wireless networks created by the AP are the default DLink ones - is that how it is supposed to work, or should I rename the wireless networks on the AP to match the ones on the Primary?

aaaaarrrgghhh

Reaction score
Thanks - I had already seen another thread on HWZ about the recovery mode and was struggling with it- but using Firefox was the key input from this link!
Anyway - after a whole lot of heartburn, both routers are up and running with 1.21SHC.
I followed the Wireless AP method (can see the drop down now!), but the wireless networks created by the AP are the default DLink ones - is that how it is supposed to work, or should I rename the wireless networks on the AP to match the ones on the Primary?

oh well - i just matched the wireless settings on the AP -and everything works now!
Thanks for a lot for your help folks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.