[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Jerroldscv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Question
Anybody made use of the so called acceleration hardware on openvpn?

Really better speed?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Question
Anybody made use of the so called acceleration hardware on openvpn?

Really better speed?
the AES-in is built-in on the SoC.. there's on and off function.. you'll see it once you set up an OpenVPN client and see speeds on 200+mbps up and down.

previous Asus routers without encryption acceleration would most probably give you around 50mbps.up and down speed if you have OpenVPN client running.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
at that price is considered a steal already given that you are buying locally and legit warranty by Asus. might be able to get cheaper overseas but always run the risk of whether the warranty is an international one or no warranty at all.

i got it at $240+ few months ago with all the vouchers i can get at that time and no regret paying that amount. this monster startup very fast, able to support dual WAN which i am using the function now. can do iMesh also which i also using that feature now. furthermore its iProtection thought might not be the perfect one but very useful in blocking malware, spam, scam, etc. you probably difficult to block those from entering the network especially via the mobile phone channel but this router can block all those from access outward in particular mobile phone where most people don't really install any sort of anti-virys or security app on it. putting a cheap mini octopus fan costing me < $4 i bring the temperature down to 55°C from 70°C+. don't think i can find another router in that price range that serve me well with those features :)
I've turned off the ai protection feature for privacy reasons.. better to use a dns based blocking like pi hole or nextdns.

-Grift-

Reaction score
I've turned off the ai protection feature for privacy reasons.. better to use a dns based blocking like pi hole or nextdns.

Wouldn't use nextdns if I was privacy cautious either... Routing your DNS through a 3rd party is sketchy no matter how you put it.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the AES-in is built-in on the SoC.. there's on and off function.. you'll see it once you set up an OpenVPN client and see speeds on 200+mbps up and down.

previous Asus routers without encryption acceleration would most probably give you around 50mbps.up and down speed if you have OpenVPN client running.

Why the need to flash 3rd party firmware ? I though stock firmware already supported OpenVPN ?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't use nextdns if I was privacy cautious either... Routing your DNS through a 3rd party is sketchy no matter how you put it.
then go the pi hole route.. nextdns is an alternative to those who doesn't want to use pi hole.. having your dns queries going thru Google or ISP is no better and provides no added benefits either.

Why the need to flash 3rd party firmware ? I though stock firmware already supported OpenVPN ?
too many additional features for me to list. for OpenVPN client features alone, Merlin firmware allows you to add up to 5 profiles, and split tunneling just to list a couple. many of Asus stock firmware improvements and new features implementation are also due to Merlin firmware first using them.

-Grift-

Reaction score
then go the pi hole route.. nextdns is an alternative to those who doesn't want to use pi hole.. having your dns queries going thru Google or ISP is no better and provides no added benefits either.

too many additional features for me to list. for OpenVPN client features alone, Merlin firmware allows you to add up to 5 profiles, and split tunneling just to list a couple. many of Asus stock firmware improvements and new features implementation are also due to Merlin firmware first using them.

Using pihole with selfhousted unbound which seems go be the best consumers can do for now.

katsu88

Reaction score
Just bought today 256-20-2-30=$204.

20voucher will auto deduct once u add to cart.
2dollar discount get from mediapro

30 bank discount will auto deduct once u key in CC detail there will show

i got it at $213 i tried using hsbc card but didn't - $30 so use maybank instead - $20

Jerroldscv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks charlie
If i dun need many profiles
Stock ac86u can hav accelerated speed on openvpn right?

Mean i dun use merlin also can?

katsu88

Reaction score
Anyone having problem connecting to 2.4ghz? It keep saying incorrect password even though i entered the correct password.

Reset the router and tried again but still having the same problem.

Found out it's my phone network issue just reset network and it's working

Last edited:

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
Lol. Don’t bother uh.
Lol... Already get AC86U but recently the speed n range not so good after using for more then 6 mths. Sometimes 2.4GHz slow or drop sometimes 5GHz. After reboot it's ok but then problem come again. Did a factory reset, still same.

Sent from HUAWEI LYA-L29 using GAGT

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Service centre 1:1

Lol... Already get AC86U but recently the speed n range not so good after using for more then 6 mths. Sometimes 2.4GHz slow or drop sometimes 5GHz. After reboot it's ok but then problem come again. Did a factory reset, still same.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

most likely your set got problem.. didn't face such issues..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.