Data roaming and cellular data off, but still charged with data roaming

eric16

Reaction score
Hey guys, for those who are not facing this situation, pls refrain from adding unnecessary chatter by saying we shouldn't have activate unnecessary services like roaming, or read the fine prints. If you haven't activate their Data Passport services at all, don't contribute to chatters

I have personally experience this with M1. Activated their data passport Malaysia cos I need to use it there for 1 month, then I de-activate my Data passport Malaysia after 1 month on the M1 app.

As my job requires me to travel multiple countries (up to 4 countries within 2 weeks), When my M1 bill came, i got a shock cos it shows data roaming usage in all the countries I went to. I swear i have switched off my data-roaming on my phone. But data is still being transferred.

So I called M1, they say I have to de-activate one more 4G roaming services to completely prevent the above from happening. I challenged them to show me where is the specific instructions to switch off the 4G roaming to prevent such shocking bill.

What shock me also is that we as consumers have absolute zero control over our data-roaming options. (ie: we cannot switch off data roaming from our phone settings). We have to switch off the data-roaming at the Telco level, otherwise we will be charged an exorbitant rate for data-roaming which we didn't use.

I seriously suggest we should band together, and approach M1 to set this Data Passport settings/instructions right once and for all. We are fleeced because we didn't know there's additiona steps to switch off data roaming once we subscribe to their Data Passport!!

It is simply unclear totally from their Data Passport program that we have additional steps to switch off data roaming on a Telco level when all these while, we were told that switching off data-roaming settings on the phone is enough

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
So I called M1, they say I have to de-activate one more 4G roaming services to completely prevent the above from happening. I challenged them to show me where is the specific instructions to switch off the 4G roaming to prevent such shocking bill.

where is the 4G roaming setting? is it the "enable 4G for - Voice & Data" option?
i suspect maybe it's due to 4G voice call (VoLTE) that causes the data roaming leaks.
actually starhub also got this problem. last yr i was charged a few cents for data roaming in my bill.
i checked my iphone settings and found that data roaming is off, but data roaming usage in iphone displayed a few bytes.

now the telcos here have introduced new 1 mth data roaming plans, not sure if these plans also cover VoLTE? if we recv a roaming voice call on VoLTE, will we be charged 4G Voice separately? :s11:

eric16

Reaction score
where is the 4G roaming setting? is it the "enable 4G for - Voice & Data" option?
i suspect maybe it's due to 4G voice call (VoLTE) that causes the data roaming leaks.
actually starhub also got this problem. last yr i was charged a few cents for data roaming in my bill.
i checked my iphone settings and found that data roaming is off, but data roaming usage in iphone displayed a few bytes.

now the telcos here have introduced new 1 mth data roaming plans, not sure if these plans also cover VoLTE? if we recv a roaming voice call on VoLTE, will we be charged 4G Voice separately? :s11:

It's not the VoLTE cos I didn't call anybody while overseas. The singapore SIM card is just inserted into a smartphone to receive SMS for i-banking only.

Spoke to a M1 CSO, apparently if you have data roaming activated over telco, as long as your phone settings is set to "prefer 4g or LTE", your phone will automatically have data leaks even though your data-roaming settings on your phone is set to "OFF"

His personal solution is to set to 3G to avoid this data-roaming leaks, or totally disable data-roaming at the telco level.

I do realise that in countries where 4G data roaming is available, i get data leaks, but in countries like US where data-raoming is only restricted to 3G, you dont get data leaks.

It's a technology issue here and the telcos aren't very clear in this. I believe there will be a lot of people out there with 4G phones travelling abroad and incur data charges unknowingly.

These data leaks are seriously costly, I was charged up to $90 per day in europe and other days about $20. Total bill shock

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not the VoLTE cos I didn't call anybody while overseas. The singapore SIM card is just inserted into a smartphone to receive SMS for i-banking only.

Spoke to a M1 CSO, apparently if you have data roaming activated over telco, as long as your phone settings is set to "prefer 4g or LTE", your phone will automatically have data leaks even though your data-roaming settings on your phone is set to "OFF"

His personal solution is to set to 3G to avoid this data-roaming leaks, or totally disable data-roaming at the telco level.

I do realise that in countries where 4G data roaming is available, i get data leaks, but in countries like US where data-raoming is only restricted to 3G, you dont get data leaks.

It's a technology issue here and the telcos aren't very clear in this. I believe there will be a lot of people out there with 4G phones travelling abroad and incur data charges unknowingly.

These data leaks are seriously costly, I was charged up to $90 per day in europe and other days about $20. Total bill shock

thanks for input. i also switch off VoLTE. nowadays i off mobile data while travelling. after some thoughts, this may be a iphone issue rather than M1. i've used android phones all these while and nothing happen, only when i change to iphone last yr, such thing happen. sometimes the phone is too 'smart' to work against us.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
thanks for input. i also switch off VoLTE. nowadays i off mobile data while travelling. after some thoughts, this may be a iphone issue rather than M1. i've used android phones all these while and nothing happen, only when i change to iphone last yr, such thing happen. sometimes the phone is too 'smart' to work against us.

after u switch off VoLTE (enable 4G for Data only) and turn off data roaming (at iphone, not telco), still get data leaks?

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after u switch off VoLTE (enable 4G for Data only) and turn off data roaming (at iphone, not telco), still get data leaks?

yes, affirmative. it's the first few things i off when i bought a new phone. i double, triple check these options, it's switched off and confirm didn't see any 3G/4G words on the signal.

eric16

Reaction score

I use a xiaomi 4i as a spare phone to hold my singapore SIM card when i travel.

Data is switched off, data-roaming on the phone is also switched off. The option I have set in the settings is "Prefer LTE". This xiaomi 4i doesn't even support VoLTE. Yet i get data leaks while overseas

hkhenry

Reaction score
I was using 3G unlimited plan and there is no roaming charges when I was in overseas. All of a sudden, my phone change to 4G signal without any notification. Then they start charging the roaming mobile data every day even I have turned off the roaming data on the phone. M1 cust service explained that there is IP address for 4G signal. It is not related to the passport data.

AngryBirdBird

Reaction score
GENERAL
Why am I still charged for data roaming usage when I have turned off Data Roaming or/and Mobile Data through Settings on my phone?

Depending on your phone model’s configuration, it may make a data connection on the roaming carrier’s network and incur data roaming charges. To avoid incurring unintended data roaming charges, you can either:

Disable both Data Roaming feature and 4G service on your mobile device. Thereafter, turn Airplane mode to “On” and then “Off”;
OR
De-activate data roaming service on your mobile line via the following self-service channels:
My M1 App
Manage My Account

https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/FAQ/RoamingandInternationalCalls/DataRoaming

007Mi6

Reaction score
I also got a bill shock in the past.

Maybe we should not be angry so fast. As a M1 user, I talk and explain to M1 CSO nicely, they would listen and get it waived for me.

The important thing is, connecting to overseas network is the phone issue, not totally on M1 (in my case). It could also got to do with how the overseas network provider deal with the connection. I am more inclined to believe this has more to do with Apple.

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
I switch off data roaming at phone level and at telco level to be double triple quadruple safe.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
If using SingTel will not have this prob. SingTel app can turn off data roaming totally, even u dun turn off data roaming u will never get data roaming charge.

ryanlion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me and I called M1 abt it.
They were willing to waive off.

However I complained why only M1 users have this and they should do something about it.

But the stupjd CSO insist all telcos have this problem. I told him my family and friend wih singtel and starhub never encounter this problem.

He challenged me to google this problem so I found this thread.

Is it true other telcos also have this?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub confirm got issue. My 70 year old mum also can use 10gb of data per month. Talk cock. Out of 1 year, 10 months no problem and 2 months data use like crazy. Of course they insist their system got no problem one.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the operator said it is an problem with iPhone 7 Plus, go and tell the operator to give you a written proof of it. then threaten the operator that you will forward the written proof to Apple and that you will sue Apple for that.

the thing is that it shouldn't be the phone problem otherwise there will be tons of complains especially for iPhone.

Between local telco and Apple, please put ur belief into Apple. Share with you one real case. One time Singtel charged me overseas roaming. I called in to explained to the CSO. The person insist I have crossed the border to Malaysia. In the end, I proved to them with my immigration records. They talk as if I can swim across the sea like a fish or the Singapore and Malaysia custom officers are sleeping.

Really knn. If you are wrong, just admit and move on. Super TL some clowns insist they are right and keep arguing with you. Lucky got Singapore immigration record (super reliable). Imagine they argue with you about data usage. Ownself record, ownself bill. How to safeguard consumer? If everyone audit them, I quite sure u see some wrong billing

yotoden

Reaction score
Previously use M1 also kena this many times, need to use the M1 app to turn data roaming off. Now with Singtel got no such issue. I would say mainly M1 users will have SUCK problem.

Firestone

Reaction score
If the local telco signal is weaker than foreign telco, by inherent design, it will switch to the stronger signal

Last time signal at my workplace is quite poor. Like 0-1 bar. Then intermittently it will switch to Indonesia / Malaysia signal depending on where I am

Between local telco and Apple, please put ur belief into Apple. Share with you one real case. One time Singtel charged me overseas roaming. I called in to explained to the CSO. The person insist I have crossed the border to Malaysia. In the end, I proved to them with my immigration records. They talk as if I can swim across the sea like a fish or the Singapore and Malaysia custom officers are sleeping.

Really knn. If you are wrong, just admit and move on. Super TL some clowns insist they are right and keep arguing with you. Lucky got Singapore immigration record (super reliable). Imagine they argue with you about data usage. Ownself record, ownself bill. How to safeguard consumer? If everyone audit them, I quite sure u see some wrong billing

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the local telco signal is weaker than foreign telco, by inherent design, it will switch to the stronger signal

Last time signal at my workplace is quite poor. Like 0-1 bar. Then intermittently it will switch to Indonesia / Malaysia signal depending on where I am

Then how is it our fault? Singapore talk about smart nation etc. And Indonesia, Malaysia signal stronger than ours? Means their user no need to pay autoroam when they come to SG. Malaysia I understand as Johor next to us. Indonesia quite far away lei

xsoldix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im using m1. Happen to me before.
Reason from cso is that the connection will sent a small data packet for 4G or 4G voice even tho you turn off data or data roaming on your phone (iphone).

Few dollars here and there over the weeks on holiday.

:o

In the end, waived, lecture me and told me they will disable data roaming just to be safe.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Something I learned from a Malaysian telco CSO, is to set the network to 3G, other than turning off data roaming.

Works for me so far, no roaming charges since.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.